The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Washing Meguiar`s pads, maybe, maybe not

The following paragraphs were lifted from Barry Meguiar`s Detailing Videos.
    *Start of quote from Barry Meguiar*
    "Our foam pads are extremely long lasting, they can be cleaned with a towel, and their completely smooth finish makes it impossible for them to create surface imperfections

The only other major point to remember is to have a dedicated pad and toweling for each product you use. If you use different products on the same pad, you will seriously compromise your results.

So mark your pads according to the product you have in them. And store them in their original bags to keep them contaminant free, but leave the bag open so it can breathe.

And please note...never wash our foam buffing pads, when you are ready to use the pad again, simply tap the pad with your hand to dislodge any residual product. Or, the pad can be cleaned at the end of the job while the pad is still wet. Clean the pad with a towel. Using your index and middle finger inside the towel, face pad up and turn polisher on. Apply light pressure to clean polish out of the pad."
    *End of quote*

Many people do wash their Meguiar`s pads, (myself included), but he doesn`t leave much room for question as to Meguiar`s stand on washing their pads.
    Just something to think about.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting ... My pads were bought from CMA - I`ll ask the Happy Motoring couple what I should do with my pads ...
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Meguiars pad just completely fell apart at work today. I was buffing along then all of a sudden it started wobbling then the pad flys across the shop. This was only the 4-5th time I used it. It was washed once with soap and water after the 2nd time. I have an edge pad that`s 5 years old and has been used at least 50 times and washed repeatedly, no sign of failure at all.
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by shotime
    [BI have an edge pad that`s 5 years old and has been used at least 50 times and washed repeatedly, no sign of failure at all. [/B]
    Even I can figure out the message hidden within this! Edge and/or LC pads for me.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Boss_429
    I believe Meguiar`s may change their pads, and their stand on washing the pads someday soon.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JimS
    Even I can figure out the message hidden within this! Edge and/or LC pads for me.
    Easy for you to say.
    I have about 7 Meg`s pads right now. Obviously I really don`t want to have to replace them anytime soon.
    FWIW, some of my Meg`s pads are at least 17 months old and none of them seem to be the worse for wear. If they start coming apart, then I won`t have much choice. I do think I might stop washing them and try Barry`s recommended cleaning procedure.
    :dunno
    Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JimS
    I don`t want to knock Meg`s pads too bad, I prefer what ever foam they use to Edge, but when the foam thinks it`s a bird and flys away, I can`t say go out and buy a bunch. If they found a way to make the pad stay attached and foam not come apart at the seam, then I`d prefer them. For some reason, when the pad came off, what was left on the pad was VERY hot.....maybe they`re building up heat somehow?
    FYI, I was at the local Car Quest today and the CQ pad seems to be a relabeled LC from what I can see. The guy also said that the PPG pads are relabeled Meguiars.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by shotime
    For some reason, when the pad came off, what was left on the pad was VERY hot.....maybe they`re building up heat somehow?
    Were you using the pads on a rotary? I didn`t think the PC would generate that much heat.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Only time my pads flew off, I had too much product on the Pad with a rotary.....

Cleaning
    I have "hose`d" spray`d my Meguiars Pad after its been used, then air dry..never a problem...I will stay the way I do it till problems happen
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW
    Were you using the pads on a rotary? I didn`t think the PC would generate that much heat.

Charles
    PC on 6. I think what happened is the backing was partially seperated and created friction between the pad and the backing where the seperation was, then heated up enough to weaken the adhesive.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently talked to Aaron with Dedication to Detail (The Edge), and he was telling me about the hot adhesive they use, and how this CAN be damaged by using a degreaser.

I have taken Don`s advice and starting washing mine under the sink with Murphy`s Oil soap.....that stuff rocks, and rinses out so easily.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Thread Information