Post Thanks / Like

Question OK - I`m a newbie with lots of questions!

I`ve just bought an `04 Honda CR-V EX of which I want to take the best possible care. My old car is an `85 Civic Wagon, which is being passed on to my 17 year old son. I`d appreciate any suggestions on the best way to care for the finishes on the V. I say "finishes" because there is a lot of black plastic "trim" which seems to pick up every water spot going. I won`t be taking it off road - but still manage to find puddles and road construction in my daily commute. It is garaged at night, and parked under some cover at work. We are in Phoenix AZ - where the sun blazes every day! & one more quick question on the V - I`m only 5`3" - how do you reach everywhere to clean & polish? (stepladder? or human growth hormones?
    On to the `85 Civic - still original paint, been waxed @ 2 /year, but needs a good cleaning & polishing - some parking lot scratches - GRRRR! & gravel chips in hood - would appreciate a plan of attack for it as he wants to make it "like new"! Also, recommendations for engine/under hood cleaning? Sorry if I went on too long, but this area is new to me and I don`t want to waste time & money on the wrong things!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OK - I'm a newbie with lots of questions!-theboys.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to DC crv!!

There are lots of great people here at DC that can definately offer some great suggestions.

Here is a link that I found helpful and that covers many aspects regarding detailing: http://ftw.truckmoxie.com/forums/topic.ten?id=226448

I hope that helps get you on your way and glad to have you on DC!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the new vehicle!!
    My thoughts on this one ...
    Start by using a good car wash shampoo ... My favorite to date is 4* Ultimate car wash Shampoo
    If the surface feels a little rough after washing get some clay and go over the car ... I use Clay magic and lube with Meguiar`s Final Inspection because it makes for easy clean up.
    If there are no swirls or other imperfections apply a coat of Klasse All in One or 4* Ultimate Paint Cleanser
    After that use a good sealant ... I use 4* Ultimate Paint Protection or Meguiars NXT and apply 2-3 coats waiting 24 hours between each coat
    For me most of my cars look great after that but sometimes I will add a carnuba wax on top for a different look.
    If there are swirls or minor imperfections in the paint you will need to polish it first starting with the least abrasive product that will remove the imperfections. I like Poorboys SSR products they do not gum up like some of the others I have used.
    For the plastic parts I really like Poorboys Trim Restorer.
    Keep hanging out here at DC and I know you will learn a lot and get different ideas ... just try a few things and decide for yourself what you like best.
    On your other car ... now is a great opportunity to get your son involved here at DC to Learn how to keep his car looking great. The search feature will answer a lot of questions.
    All of the products I talked about are available from Premium Auto Care and Poorboys World (Sponsers of this site) Their links are on the home page.
    Sorry such a long post ...
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    Both cars:

Wash with a good car wash soap and then clay them. Even the new one will need to be clayed. Do not discount the need or the benefits of using clay. I first heard of clay a year ago when I first signed on to this site and I first used it a short time later. Claying the truck was easy and very beneficial as it gets rid of the stuck on contaminates from sitting outside prior to purchase.

After claying some folks recommend washing again. I`ve done that and I`ve also just moved on to the swirl mark remover or polish as needed. It`s up to you.

The next step is using a swirl mark remover to .....yes remove swirls and other minor scratches in the paint. www.poorboysworld.com is the source for the best swirl mark removers...imo. Then Poorboys also has polish, paste wax or sealant available and they are at least as good as the best on the market.

I would recommend that after swirls and other imperfections are removed you go to the pro polish and then move on to use sealant. Poorboys has one with carnuba wax added and one without.

The owner of Poorboys is Steve. He has many years experience owning and operation detailing and/or body shops and if you call him he will be glad to share that expertise with you.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: OK - I`m a newbie with lots of questions!

back Norah...

Have you heard about the "New" ssr1 and ssr2.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - this thread is old - back when Norah was newb!
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

What? Hey Nora

I certainly would be surprised if Nora hasn`t heard about any PB product.

Post Thanks / Like

new guy syndrome ......................
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post

What? Hey Nora

I certainly would be surprised if Nora hasn`t heard about any PB product.
    I know, it`s hard to believe that I had never heard of Poorboys & I thought that NuFinish was

Quote Originally Posted by bigron62 View Post
    new guy syndrome ......................
    Ummm Ron, that was new GAL syndrome five years ago.
    Don`t it always seem to go, you don`t know what you`ve got til it`s gone?
    WAC
    06/04/40 ~ 07/16/07

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

SHE"S BAAACKK!!!!!!! Now we ALL will have to straighten up......

Thread Information