Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 11-01-2019

Default paint prep aka wax and grease remover

Hello,i have watched a lot of detailing videos lately and was wondering what everyone thought.After i wash my truck and clay bar it it seems some recommend you spraying a paint prep on it and wipe off to remove any residue left by washing/claying before polishing/waxing.I'm wondering if this is what you here at mothers recommend? Thank you very much.
Old 11-03-2019
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: paint prep aka wax and grease remover

Sorry for the delay, we've been busy buttoning up all the final details for SEMA. Watch the site Tuesday morning for new product announcements.

A paint prep isn't necessary for polishes, glazes or waxes. Washing to remove dirt is a necessity, and claying is a great idea, but you're then ready to polish/compound before applying your paint protection products.

Other technologies may require prep for the surface, but the traditional types of products you mentioned don't require them.
Old 11-03-2019

Thank you very much,will do, so even if there is residue on the vehicle after washing and claying there's no need to remove it before moving on?Also i have some light scratches now would you recommend me trying the polish that i have and if that doesn't do it then try mothers scratch remover or another polishing compound and if the polish that i have now doesn't do the trick do i need to remove it before trying something else and whats the best way to remove it? Thank you again for your help!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

We have a new CMX Surface Prep coming online in January... maybe a little before then.

Proper surface prep before applying any ceramic coating, sealant, or wax is paramount to ensure optimal adhesion and a lasting bond. Old waxes, stubborn oils, grease, fillers, and even that pesky polishing residue are no match for Mothers® CMX® Surface Prep.

Biodegradable grease-cutting surfactants and solvents dig deep, dissolving oils and lifting away surface-clinging contaminants. This safe but effective, pH neutral cleaner is so versatile it can be used on virtually every exterior surface of your vehicle, including paint, glass, trim, wheels, tires, and more. It can also be safely used in body shop environments thanks to its silicone-free formula. Simply spray on and wipe off, and CMX® Surface Prep will do the rest, quickly flashing off, leaving a perfectly clean, residue-free, and anti-static/dust-resistant surface, ready for coating.

Washing and caring for your vehicle has never been easier. Join the revolution!

#01224, 24 oz.
Attached Images

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrich View Post
Thank you very much,will do, so even if there is residue on the vehicle after washing and claying there's no need to remove it before moving on?Also i have some light scratches now would you recommend me trying the polish that i have and if that doesn't do it then try mothers scratch remover or another polishing compound and if the polish that i have now doesn't do the trick do i need to remove it before trying something else and whats the best way to remove it? Thank you again for your help!
If you have so much residue from claying that the vehicle needs to be washed (versus wasting Instant Detailer and towels), go ahead and wash it.

Remove isolated scratches with California Gold Scratch Remover. To remove overall haze/dullness, Polish using California Gold Pure Polish or our Professional line (like Rubbing Compound and Finishing Polish) to bring up the shine.

Check out our How To section.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!