Post Thanks / Like

Arrow want quality job, need advice

after deciding i want to learn more about detailing and reading up on this board i`ve found myself in a somewhat hard decision. i have yet to invest in some cleaning tools and products, have no experience yet, but my car (86 mazda) really needs a polish and wax. i have a friend who has worked in the paint business and has some knowledge and experience. but i am really set on having the best job done possible. i have been looking at local detail businesses but haven`t gotten any quotes. what i`m wondering is if i should invest in some tools and products and ask my friend for some advice or just call up a place to have it done? also, how much would a quality job roughly set me back? i know in painting there is a difference between the hard working family man running his quality paint shop down the street and then maaco... i`m assuming this is the same in the detail business. thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (22.5 KB, 124 views)

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to DC. first off!

The vehicles finish doesn`t look like it is to bad of shape but is hard to tell due to lighting. Detailing is very easy to learn the folks on this board can give you all the advice you need. However you are going to need time and patience. It`s not just about slinging some wax and calling it a day. I would do it myself. the first thing is ask yourself do you have the time? second do I want to buy some material to do this once or am i going to maintain my car. The prices going some place proffesional is going to vary any where from $100 up to $200 it is all going to depend. Buying evrything you need will cost you at least $100+ assuming you do not have a vacuum or any other supplies. Good luck and happy detailing.

JAY
    DISTINGUISHED DETAILING

Work and hope, but don`t hope more than you work!

Post Thanks / Like
    I figure that if you want to get the car really clean and keep it that way, you`ll take the time to read and learn here. The easy way is to get a detail shop to do it, but then you need knowledge to keep it looking that way. You can get that by reading here. So to answer your question is not a simple one.
    I agree with GS how much time are you willing to spend on the car and how often do you plan on washing, waxing, etc.

Also your car looks like its in decent condition and you should be able to get good results with the products that are sold on this site
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    well my time is pretty much open, i`m 19, working full time with not many obligations outside of work besides occasionally cleaning the house, haha. i would definately make more than adequate time to maintain and read up on the latest and greatest. but my only worry is that i really don`t want to have a `crash course` in buffing my car. i`d rather have that special experience while working on my relatives ` cars, or something like that...hehe. so at this point i`m kinda leaning towards having a pro do my car even though i plan on investing on all the tools and products to start learning. when it comes to my car money isn`t a problem. i believe dumping money into something that may not mature with value later is better than buying beer everyweekend,,, especially at my age, haha. anyway, any more advice for me?

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The link in my signature is a good step by step process I think. Its not the final word on detailing by any means, of course. If you want a good `how to` from me then that is what I would offer. I`m all about people doing the work themselves. The only reason I`m into detailing is because I`ve got some strange obsession with clean cars. If people would learn to do it themselves then I wouldn`t have to do it for them. Therefore I am more than happy to try and help people learn how to do it themselves. That article is the one that I wish I would have read when I first started getting into car care. With a minimum investment of 3 or 4 hundred bucks for supplies and tools, you can have what you need to care for your own car and however many other cars you want to deal with. Anyway, read that thread and see what you think. I think you might find it a helpful starting point.
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    ah yes, i`ve read that article/write up probably the first day i got on this board. very very good. i have done a few writeups on other topics and i know how much time and energy it takes sometimes to keep them going. thanks for the suggestion

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don`t have to do any major corrections to the paint, then do it yourself. Most of my curstomers are people that don`t have the time to commit to maintaining their cars but it sounds like you have the time needed to do the owrk yourself. Addtionally, you can probably make a few dollars if you want to do cars for friends/relatives.
    Ringo

Thread Information