Post Thanks / Like

Black trim, should I paint it?

Hi again,

My black car has a plastic trim that runs accross the doors They are made of black plastic and are not painted as the rest of the car but are starting to look faded or gray.

Would you recommend painting them black with a spray can? And if so should I go flat or satin?
    Hector David Salinas
    San Pedro Sula, Honduras

Post Thanks / Like
    If they won`t clean up I highly recommend Dupli-color`s trim paint. I think it comes in black and grey. But I used it to paint all of my trim, door handles, bunmpers, and side view mirrors.

Post Thanks / Like
    2001, how do you prep the surface the for paint to prevent peeling? The paint or coating on the mirrors of my 92 civic is peeling. Looks like fiberglass underneath.

Post Thanks / Like
    good question ben54. My cousin wants his door handles (currently unpainted black plastic) to match the color of the car (silver) but we have concerns about peeling.
    Hector David Salinas
    San Pedro Sula, Honduras

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black trim, should I paint it?

Originally posted by hdsalinas
    Hi again,

My black car has a plastic trim that runs accross the doors They are made of black plastic and are not painted as the rest of the car but are starting to look faded or gray.

Would you recommend painting them black with a spray can? And if so should I go flat or satin?
    Before you get into painting your trim, may I suggest this product..

http://www.properautocare.com/blacagextrim.html

I have had good success with it.

If painting is the only solution...I would recommend

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/bumper.html

You may apply an adhesion promoter prior to painting to aid in the bonding of the finish coat if you are worried about it. There is also a flexible primer available for plastic.

Check out this thread describing the procedures I used when painitng the grill of my truck, it was plastic.

http://www.generation-edge.net/forum...erms=grill,mod
    "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." - Sir Winston Churchill

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks!
    Hector David Salinas
    San Pedro Sula, Honduras

Post Thanks / Like
    They make a primer for plastic...it is just a clear primer that softens the plastic to allow the paint to sort of soak in better. But i agree that I would try and restore the black first before painting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 2001civicex
    They make a primer for plastic...it is just a clear primer that softens the plastic to allow the paint to sort of soak in better. But i agree that I would try and restore the black first before painting.
    Both the adhesion promoter and the flexible primer have an etching effect that allows the product to adhere to the plastic. The adhesion promoter I used went on clear and dried clear. Most primers are have colored pigments. So if you apply a primer before your finish coat, be sure it is the same color for obvious reasons. On the otherhand, I know that body molding is available in bulk rolls. It may be easier to replace the molding on the side panels rather than painting them. (just a thought)
    "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." - Sir Winston Churchill

Thread Information