Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 04-04-2006

Default swirls

hello. i have been using nothing but mothers products for years now, and i cant find anything better. i just got a used black car, and the paint is full of swirls all over. what should i use to get rid of the swirls? should i try the 123 step wax, or should i try the scratch remover? and also when i get the swirls out what should i do to keep them out when i wash it agen. thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 04-04-2006
Administrator

Default Re: swirls

Welcome -- and thanks for choosing Mothers!

If you have access to a commercial-duty random-orbital polisher like a Porter-Cable, you could use the Power Polish, followed by your choice of wax, including PowerWax.

If you plan to do this by hand, the 3-Step Ultimate Wax System would be the next suggestion, using the Scratch Remover as necessary in those spots as needed.

Washing technique is very important... wool wash mitt, quality car soap, dry with waffle-weave microfibers. Generally, do the wheels and grungy areas with their own wash mitt (an old one will do), and I like to do those areas first. A lot of the spiderwebbing you see on cars is from improper washing technique, or going through an automated car wash.
Old 04-04-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by calical
used black car, and the paint is full of swirls all over.
same happened to me!
Old 04-06-2006

where do i find a porter-cable? will the cheepy ones from the auto part store do? or should i go to a power tool shop? any specific brand? also if i tryed the 123 system (i havnt been able to yet its too rainy) and it dosnt work, can i then try an porter-cable, or is it already too late? i know that i should have a pro do it, but i dont trust others to tuch my car, im just picky like that. thanks for the help.
Old 04-06-2006
Administrator

A Porter-Cable polisher (model 7424) and the appropriate paint finishing pad assortment (usually included in a car-detailing kit at places like Amazon.com and other e-tailers -- check our "retailers" page) are miles ahead of the lightweight polishers available at auto parts stores.
Old 04-13-2006

I recommend using a foam pad glaze, with a foam polishing pad, then follow it up with a hand glaze of your desire. The pad glaze will remove the swirls, and give you a strong base to put on your final coat. Good luck
Old 04-13-2006
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detail Pro
I recommend using a foam pad glaze, with a foam polishing pad, then follow it up with a hand glaze of your desire. The pad glaze will remove the swirls, and give you a strong base to put on your final coat. Good luck
Or if that all sounded like a foreign language, get some recommendations for a pro detail shop that you can trust and have them clean it up for you.

At that point you can continue to maintain it by hand. Be careful of your wash regimen, and always wash by hand with a lambswool mitt and dry with waffle-weave microfibers to help minimize the introduction of spiderwebbing in the future.
Old 04-15-2006

Well this is advice is from a detail pro who has been in the field for 15 years. Yes some people may not understand what I said, but they can go to their place of choice for the products they normally get, and see what i am talking about. The product I get is from my distributor, and it is called foam pad glaze.
Closed Thread