Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 05-08-2007

Default Brand New Black Car

Okay, so we bought a black vehicle and now we are wanting to detail it. I have some Pre-wax cleaner and sealer/glaze coming in the mail and I already have a can of the Mothers CG Carnauba paste wax. If I understand it right, I use the pre-wax cleaner to remove any exisiting wax, then apply the sealer glaze to fill in any light scratches (spiderwebbing) and finish up with a light coat of the carnauba wax. I have a terry cloth applicator and a few microfiber polishing cloths. What if anything else do I need to get the best finish?

Also, any advice on application and removal of each step would be great.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-08-2007
Administrator

Default Re: Brand New Black Car

Welcome, TN Highlander!

Probably one of the best things you can do before is wash thoroughly in the shade (or cool sun) using the "two bucket method" of having a suds bucket and a rinse bucket. So before you dip your genuine wool wash mitt into a bucket of quality suds, you've rinsed it first. This will help to reduce the introduction of minor surface defects on a dark colored vehicle . Dry with a waffle-weave microfiber towel from the top down.

Next it would be great to detail your trim with your favorite Protectant (on older trim we like to recommend our Back-to-Black). This helps reduce any staining of the products you're about to use. Let the product "penetrate" while you work.

Then -- even on a new vehicle -- it is best to start with a clean slate by using a detailing clay, such as found in our California Gold Clay Bar Paint Saving System. This kit includes the lubricant (Showtime Instant Detailer) and a clay bar big enough to do about 3 vehicles. Also included is a 4 ounce Carnauba Cleaner Wax, but set that aside for touch-ups at a later time, or for another vehicle.

You probably can't have too many applicators, and you'll want at least one per product. Some people like to use terry or microfiber for the Pre-Wax Cleaner and Microfiber for the Sealer & Glaze, and microfiber or foam for the Pure Carnaub Wax. Extra towels are handy, too, but you can shake them to get extra use out of them.

Certainly take a look through the "Preparation, Seal & Wax" section of our online Detail Guide for more tips.

Please let us know if you have any questions!
Old 05-08-2007

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm a little leery about the clay bar; what's the potential for damaging the paint? Also, how much time am I looking at to do use the clay bar, pre-wax cleaner, sealer/glaze, and final wax? We have a 2007 Toyota Highlander, not a large vehicle, but I tend to be rather detailed in my work.
Old 05-08-2007
Administrator

Clay is safe when used as directed. It's probably one of the easiest products to use -- but the most mis-understood until you try it.

Check out this video and see if that calms your apprehensions: Mothers Clay Bar Video
Old 05-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Highlander View Post

I'm a little leery about the clay bar; what's the potential for damaging the paint? Also, how much time am I looking at to do use the clay bar, pre-wax cleaner, sealer/glaze, and final wax? We have a 2007 Toyota Highlander, not a large vehicle, but I tend to be rather detailed in my work.
If you are very detailed, it could take you all weekend. But you could get everything done in under 5 hours, if you don't have much correction to do. (Swirls/cobwebbing)

As to the clay bar, try using it in the "inconspicuous area" and see for yourself. Make sure you use lots of Showtime as lubricant. Also, cut the bar into 3 sections before using it. This way, if you drop the bar, you won't have wasted the whole bar. (You really should throw away a clay bar once it has been dropped. Using it after it has been dropped would be a VERY high potential to damage paint.)
Old 05-08-2007

Thumbs up Re: Brand New Black Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Highlander View Post

Fear not. The Clay Bar is so easy to use that I taught my daughter how to use one when she was a young teenager. (Free labor ) It's virtually idiot-proof ..... and I should know. You don't have to use the Carnauba Cleaner Wax that comes with the Clay Bar. It's there for people that don't already have their own wax since the Clay Bar will strip the wax off.

DO take heed of the advice to cut the Clay Bar into two or three pieces. And, DO take heed of the advice to throw it away if you drop it.

Time - When my wife drove a Grand Cherokee I would wash it first thing in the morning and then have breakfast while it finished dripping. From there each step would take me between 45 minutes and one hour.

I would ...

Wash - Two mitts (one for mid-door up and one for mid-door down) and two buckets (one for soap and one to rinse the mitt between sections)

Dry - Waffle weave microfiber using the pat-dry method we have all learned from Forrest.

Clay Bar - Follow the directions on the box

Pre-Wax Cleaner - If you're working by hand, use a foam applicator and microfiber towels to remove

Sealer/Glaze - I LOVE this stuff!!! It hides a lot of the marring that's inevitable on a black vehicle

Carnauba - My favorite look on a black vehicle.

Then use Showtime (or even Spray FX Synwax) between big jobs to keep it looking great.

Admin or Forrest ..... could he skip the Pre-Wax Cleaner after the Clay Bar on a brand new vehicle?

'15 Dodge Challenger SRT - B5 Blue
'17 Dodge Durango R/T - Granite Crystal
Closed Thread