Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 11-18-2008

Default Snow brush = scratches?!?!

Hey everyone,
Last night, the falling snow reminded me that winter (and snow) is on it's way. Last spring, I noticed that there were quite a few scratches on my clearcoat... carnauba was applied 2 months prior. I stopped using it on the body of the car (I push/ slide the snow off with my arm), but still use it on the glass... but the rest of my family won't do it to their cars.

Has this happened to anyone else? How would I prevent this? Apply multiple coats of wax, get a softer brush?

Thanks,
Bridget
Old 11-18-2008
Administrator

Default Re: Snow brush = scratches?!?!

The best defense is getting a winter "driver" ... unfortunately it's not an option for most people.

Apply a fresh coat or two of wax, and use a spray wax when you can.

Certainly being as gentle as you can when using anything on your vehicle's finish can help, or try to avoid it altogether.
Old 11-19-2008
Registered User II

A lot also depends on the type of snow brush and the way one uses it. Mine is so soft you can hardly feel it if you run it over your skin. Also when I brush the snow off my car, I rarely if ever actually touch the car.
Old 11-19-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
The best defense is getting a winter "driver" ... unfortunately it's not an option for most people.
My family recently donated the car I used to drive ('95 Chevy Monte Carlo Z34), and that would have been a perfect winter driver... except for the fact that it was RWD and it would always fishtail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Apply a fresh coat or two of wax, and use a spray wax when you can.

Certainly being as gentle as you can when using anything on your vehicle's finish can help, or try to avoid it altogether.
I will try to apply a few coats of wax on... I'm not sure if I can still, the temperature is around freezing. What is the lowest temperature you can apply wax? 32F?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
A lot also depends on the type of snow brush and the way one uses it. Mine is so soft you can hardly feel it if you run it over your skin. Also when I brush the snow off my car, I rarely if ever actually touch the car.
I hardly use my snow brush, it's everyone else in my family. The brushes that we own aren't as soft as yours. Would you mind telling me the brand of your brush?
Old 11-19-2008

I just remembered something. Last year, there was a lot of ice that accmulated on the cars, and the scraper end badly scratched the paint.

I'll post a pic within the coming days... so everyone can see what I can do it fix it.
Old 11-20-2008
Registered User II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead87 View Post
Would you mind telling me the brand of your brush?
I don't recall the brand, as I removed the sticker (I hate stickers) but the bristles look like a normal brush, except they are feathered for the last inch. Real soft. The other end has a plastic scraper with a metal
insert the color of brass (It might be brass) but it is guaranteed not to scratch glass. I hasn't on mine and is better than plastic for removing ice. I have seen them in most of the auto stores, but are a little pricey compared to the $2.99 bristle brush on a stick of wood.
Old 11-20-2008
Administrator

As much as possible, it might be best to stick with removing the light surface snow on the body and, of course, the windows -- basic removal for safety so it doesn't blow-off and block your vision.

Don't try to scrape the snow off the vehicle completely, which it sounds like may be happening here.

It's been a while since I spent extended periods of time where there is severe weather, but try to resist scraping body panels.
Old 11-20-2008

I've been absent from this forum for a while, and I don't know why I picked today to check back in. But this is the type of question that turned me off to these kind of forums in the first place.

I'm not bashing the OP, it's a legitimate question, and deserves a good answer.

But here's my two cents.

I really take issue with Admin's last post. To just remove the surface snow and don't remove the snow completely. Quote: "basic removal for safety so it doesn't blow-off and block your vision". Well, what about the guy behind you's vision? I get royally P**sed off when snow drifts are blowing off the car in front of me and impairing MY visibility.

In fact, my local PD really cracked down on this last year. They handed out several hundred warnings during the first part of winter, put an article in the local paper warning people, and then by Jan/Feb they started slapping people with fines. I don't remember exactly, but it was more than a regular speeding ticket. The message was clear. DON'T DRIVE THROUGH MY TOWN WITH SNOW ON YOUR CAR

But the real reason I'm posting is to say - THIS IS WHY WE DETAIL CARS MAN!!!

If you drive your car every day, especially in harsh winter conditions, it's never, ever ever going to be perfect. Just forget about it. And if you're relentlessly pursuing perfection to the point where you would sacrifice your own safety, and other driver's safety, just to keep a few minor scratches from appearing on your car, you're missing the point of car care.

Let me put it another way.

I love being out in the backyard with a few cold ones and my buffer on a spring day and tackling the challenge of correcting black paint.

I love taking before and after pics to see how my efforts really made a difference.

I love researching and testing out new polishes, glazes, and waxes.

I love sharing my results with friends and family, and helping to teach them how to get the same results.

If my car were perfect all the time, I wouldn't get to do those things. To me, it is much more fun to protect the car as best I can for winter, then in spring go back and fix it.

And let's face it, there are just as many ways to scratch a car in summer as there is in winter. All you can do is try to minimize them, but eventually they will catch up with you, and thats when the fun begins. If you don't enjoy car care in this way, then you should probably just hire a professional, and keep your car in a garage.
Old 11-20-2008

I know it can be time consumming, to shop out for a better brush.
But that old exspresion still stands "you get what you pay for"
If you buy a cheap snow brush now.. you'll probably be repairing scratches later.

Take a couple extra minutes brush off the whole car, and yes it is a good idea to apply a couple of extra coats of wax comming into the winter, and comming out in the spring.

Most waxes need about 10degrees to work properly, oviously the warmer the better.
I would be interested in seeing the pictures you mentioned, about the scratches from last winter, maybe I could suggest somthing that might help.
Old 11-21-2008
Registered User II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaleon0721 View Post
The message was clear. DON'T DRIVE THROUGH MY TOWN WITH SNOW ON YOUR CAR

If you drive your car every day, especially in harsh winter conditions, it's never, ever ever going to be perfect. Just forget about it.
Don't you just love to see those vehicles where the only snow removed is where the wipers have been turned on? Idiots.

And I agree somewhat that driving a daily driver in the winter, "it is never going to be perfect", however, we can try to keep it as "perfect" as possible.
Old 11-22-2008

i truly agree, but wouldn't it be nice , if they could see us.
because they took the time to clean off their car
Old 11-23-2008

I got a snow brush that the last inch of the brush is real soft and have not noticed any new scratches from it. I am wondering as-well, what is the lowest temp you can put a good coat of wax on? Does anyone know?
Old 11-23-2008

I don't know if its official but i wouldn't wax , under 10 degrees.
And even then you'll notice it will take a little longer for your wax to set up.
Old 11-23-2008
Mothers® Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeguy View Post
I am wondering as-well, what is the lowest temp you can put a good coat of wax on? Does anyone know?
Wax can be applied at almost any temperature, but removal will be challenging or difficult below about 50ºF.

A fan to move the air can help speed up the hazing, but at low temperatures, wax won't haze up.
Old 11-25-2008

A number of years ago I purchased 2 boar`s hair snow brush`s, they where about $30 each. I cant find any now but what about a boars hair wash brush for the light snow?
Old 11-25-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krell View Post
A number of years ago I purchased 2 boar`s hair snow brush`s, they where about $30 each. I cant find any now but what about a boars hair wash brush for the light snow?
If they were $30, that's a tad high for a regular retail store to stock... try specialty shops or online.

Anything that runs across the finish can scratch if it carries along debris that can scratch, so keep it clean whatever you use.
Closed Thread