Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 08-19-2010

Default Wiper blade problem

Hi everyone,

Over here where i live it has been raining daily n i guess its probably the same with our friends in Philippines n other parts of Asia. The problem i am having is, my wiper blades keep shuddering when driving in the rain! Is there a way to maintain the wiper blades or the windshield so tat it does not happen otherwise i am not getting a clean sweep of the rainwater when driving. My wiper blades are fairly new as my car is only 4 months old.

Any advice is most appreciated! Thanks guys!
Old 08-19-2010
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: Wiper blade problem

I'd give the windshield a good cleaning - Chrome Polish would be great for that (years ago we sold it as Chrome and Glass Polish). Apply, let dry to a haze; buff off.

In conjunction with that, clean your wiper elements (the rubber part) with isopropyl alcohol. Could be there's a film built up on them.
Old 08-19-2010

Thanks for the quick reply Forrest.

Unfortunately we get very limited Mother's products here in my country n Chrome polish is one tat is not available. Think the distributor here just aint promoting the good Mother's products here well! Sad...

I will try your isopropyl alcohol suggestion to see if it helps. Do u think if i clean my wipers with glass cleaner will help?

Thanks again for yr prompt reply!
Old 08-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Forrest.

Unfortunately we get very limited Mother's products here in my country n Chrome polish is one tat is not available. Think the distributor here just aint promoting the good Mother's products here well! Sad...

I will try your isopropyl alcohol suggestion to see if it helps. Do u think if i clean my wipers with glass cleaner will help?

Thanks again for yr prompt reply!
Most glass cleaners contain ammonia that could damage the wipers and make it worse.

I do what Forrest said than put Mothers protetant on them and buff them with a microfiber.

kbshadow
stockton ca.
Old 08-19-2010
Administrator

Sometimes the only fix is new wiper blades.
Old 08-20-2010

Hi all thanks for all the quick replies!

I do clean my wipers everytime i wash my car with the car shampoo solution n rinse later. Going to try out the alcohol thing tat Forrest suggested when i get the chance but it has been raining quite a bit here..

kbshadow.. my glass cleaners are ammonia free but what do u use to clean yr wipers before applying the protectant?

admin.. do oem wipers just last 4 months or do they supposedly last longer?

Appreciate all yr kind inputs!
Old 08-20-2010
Mothers® Polish

Quote:
... do oem wipers just last 4 months or do they supposedly last longer?
Under normal conditions, they recommend wipers be replaced every 6 months. If your car sits outside all the time (especially during the day), I can see them lasting less than 6 months.

They're cheap insurance for safe driving - I'd replace them.
Old 08-20-2010

Quote:
Hi all thanks for all the quick replies!

I do clean my wipers everytime i wash my car with the car shampoo solution n rinse later. Going to try out the alcohol thing tat Forrest suggested when i get the chance but it has been raining quite a bit here..

kbshadow.. my glass cleaners are ammonia free but what do u use to clean yr wipers before applying the protectant?

admin.. do oem wipers just last 4 months or do they supposedly last longer?

Appreciate all yr kind inputs!
Usually just use the soap I use while I'm washing the car.

Its very hot here and my blades last me about 2 years.

kbshadow
stockton

Last edited by kbshadow; 08-20-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-20-2010

The brand of blades does make a difference. Some are much better than others.

I have clayed the glass plus I usually scrub the glass with a clean terry cloth applicator then wipe dry with a microfiber. I think the extra bite from the terry cloth can help loosen whatever crud is on the glass so the cleaner can soften it better and then removed by the microfiber. I use dedicated microfibers (the woven type like Mothers Polishing towels) to dry.
Old 08-20-2010

Hi guys,

Yes my car is parked outside 24/7 but i try to park in the shade wherever possible.
Got to try kbshadow's method of applying protectant to the blades to see if tat works otherwise i will just have to replace them as Forrest suggested to ensure safe driving but hopefully i will be able to maintain them well so they dont wear out so quickly!

abnot.. I am going to try yr method of cleaning the glass n tat leaves me with another question.. I do hear the good people here saying tat getting premium microfibres are a wise decision but what is a premium MF? Unfortunately we dont get the Mothers kind here. We usually get China made ones with 100% polyester or mixed with polyamide.. What is the premium MF composition tat u will recommend? Perhaps by looking at the % i will be able to distinguish the good ones from the bad ones.

I know admin did mention in another post tat plush ones are supposedly better but i did buy some(3 in a pack) plush ones made in China tat were quite poor as they were not absorbent n dont pick stuff up quite well..

Thank in advance for all your kind inputs!

PS frustrating here cos its still raining here without a chance to do the wipers or glass n the wipers keep shuddering when i drive out! oh well...
Old 08-21-2010

osprey, if you have time during your weekends, you could visit Ace Hardware in the mall in Nagoya Hill in Batam, they've got alot of Mothers prods there last time I was there.
as for your wipe prob, apart from the cleaning solutions they've already mentioned,
a. in addition to abnot's brand difference suggestion,AGE of the blades come into play too;
b. your wiper washer fluid might be the culprit too (as far as my experience is concerned though) and;
c. try not to use some of those "keep rain away from your window even without using your wipers" kind of products. or if you must then (and it would be worth mentioning too, as is with other products, that) you should apply them sparingly so as not to have build-up in your blades that could cause shuddering.
HTH
Old 08-24-2010

Hello everyone,

Here is an update. I cleaned my wiper blades(like Forrest suggested) then also cleaned my windshield with terry cloth(abnot's suggestion) n it worked in light rain! Will have to see if it works when driving in thunderstorms..

Guess i have to maintain it this way regularly..

Thanks B2bomber for yr inputs but i dont any stuff on my winshield as my experience tells me tat is not a good thing to do. How long ago was the last time u visited Ace hardware in Batam if i may ask? If i remember correctly u are a Sporean in Manila right?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-24-2010

Hmm... the last time I went to batam must've been mid- late last year.
Old 08-26-2010

Oddly, once I started with really caring for our car, I started to notice a lot of other things as well, and the glass was one of them.
I knew from reading here that I should be using the Ammonia free automotive glass cleaner, and for no particular reason even, I always did use that on our car's glass, but when I came to this Forum, I found out exactly why.

I also originally used paper towels, and here I used the really good quality ones and not the 'Generic' brands because they were in the main rougher, and the good ones were soft.

However in conjunction with coming here, and the original store owner who put me onto Mothers products, he also helped me in other areas as well. You might think this was just to drum up business, but he didn't have to really do it, as I did buy a large range of products, but he was careful in his explanation of how to use them. Later, when I was having this juddering wiper blade problem, even after using the Mothers Glass Cleaner, he came out and had a look at the car. He recommended that I needed new 'blades', again probably viewed as drumming up business, but again, he explained why. The heat, especially here in Oz, makes the rubber deteriorate more quickly. I got the much better quality blades, and as you might expect, they worked as well as the cheap ones did. They did however last longer.

As to the juddering now. I use that as an indicator. I clean the windows with the Glass Cleaner, and I have no major problems because I do it regularly now. When it gets to the point where the blades do start to judder, then I know it's time to use the Chrome Polish, but only on the external glass, and I've found, mainly on the swept glass front and rear, and mainly just the front.

I apply it with a Terry cloth and work it in much the same way as I might when applying product to the painted surface of the car. Again, it hazes up and then I just remove it.

As to paper towels, I still use them occasionally, but mainly on the glass that is not swept by wiper blades. For those two, I now have found a wonderful glass only microfibre, not one of the generics, but a dedicated car product glass MF. It has a different weave to ordinary MF, and works spectacularly on glass, and until you have actually used one, you just don't realise.

The front swept screen is the one glass that, because it is swept so often, requires the most work, and now knowing what to look for, because of the juddering, I have a 'handle' on what product to use and when. That also helps with the rear screen, not swept as often.

Incidentally, my good lady wife has now switched from the domestic glass cleaners to an automotive glass cleaner for all the household glass. She mentioned to me that it takes less product to do the job. It does the job better and is easier to use. She now even asks me for the Glass MF to use as well. Says it has cut her glass cleaning time in more than half. That's probably due to the fact that I now help to reach those higher areas where she can't quite reach.

As to the blades themselves, get the good quality ones, and also, as kbshadow mentions, give them an occasional treatment with protectant, and here. I just wipe the sides of the blades and not necessarily along the sharp edge that is on the glass.

As I mentioned above, the more work you do on the care of your car, the more of these little things you notice, and then find ways to make them better. For the uninitiated, it may look like 'drumming up business for products' but in fact, it actually does all help to make lefe easier if you do it all correctly. It then gets to the point where you don't even notice it, and then, when you do, you know exactly what to do to alleviate that 'problem'.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 08-26-2010

Thanks TonyfromOz for yr detailed n interesting sharing(as always) n welcome back!

I do use ammonia free glass cleaner(Meguiars NXT cos i dont get the Mothers kind here, no Chrome polish too!) to clean my windshield. I will also now clean my blades regularly with isopropyl alcohol to prevent any built up to prevent the juddering.

You are spot on when u mentioned i tend to notice more things as i get more involved with my car! Up to a point tat i almost try everytime to look for streaks after detailing my car even if there arent any! Haha...

You mentioned MF dedicated to glass, may i know the brand u got? I want to go look if i can find it or something similar over here. may i also check with u on what may be the better percentage composition in the MF to make them better ones for paint?

Thanks again Tony!

osprey
Old 08-26-2010

osprey,
when it comes to MF, the adage applies that you can never have enough of them.
I have around 2 dozen or more of them from a variety of manufacturers, some good, and some average.
The Mothers MF range are not imported here to Oz, mores the great pity, because they have a couple that are really really good, especially the two sided large 'Quick Detail Towel'.

I get whatever MF I can, and the best ones I have found here are in fact an Australian brand, from a Company in my home State of Queensland, Bowden's Own, so you, or our friends in the U.S. will not have access to them at all.

For my Mothers MF, the only real access I do have to them is the one that is in the Clay Bar Kit, and I have 2 of them.
I do have nearly all the Mothers MF however, as a friend very kindly sent me some, and my Son got me some when he toured the U.S. so I noticed first hand just how good they really are.

The Glass MF are hard to find anywhere but the one I do have is the one shown at this link, and I hope our friend at Admin does not mind my posting the link to a product from another Company, but they're not available in the U.S. or for that matter outside Oz I would think.
The weave is totally different than for any other MF.
I also like the way this Company has different colours for their MF as well, so I always know the green one is my glass MF

Also, for those of you who like 'muscle cars' then this Company which started out collecting these cars and then moved into the car care products field have what is probably the best collection of racing sedans in Australia, and most of them are from the top Australian race drivers from the early years. Some wonderful Fords here, both from the U.S. and Australia, and there's even one of my favourites, a 1957 Porsche 356A.
To see the collection, after the link go to the top menu bar and click on the 'Car Collection' tab. They'll scroll through and just click on each car for the details in the main window. This is barely some of the cars they have in their car museum.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Closed Thread