Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 01-28-2005

Default mothers scratch remover

is it safe to use scratch remover on the hole care i have a black car and those little scractchs jump out at you

any way the directions say that its only for small areas

thank you
Old 01-28-2005

Default Re: mothers scratch remover

Yes, you can use it on the whole car. It's a polish. That said, you are removing a little bit of paint when using it (only way to "remove" the swirls/scratches other than repainting).

Using a buffer can finish the job quicker.
If doing this by hand, remember to let the product do the work. Don't rub hard. Expect to go over an area repeatedly. (It's a fairly mild polish.)

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2005

thanks

i'm useing a random obital buffer do i have to worry about damgeing the paint ? what are some do's and dont's

thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2005

Do: Take your time! Don't be in a rush. Make sure you fully "break down" the polish (but not to the point of dry buffing/no product left.
:Use a foam bonnet. If you use a "cheap" terry bonnet it could induce marring as fast as you're removing the old marring.
:Use "good" towels for buffing off the residue. Old "rags" can end up marring the finish too.
:Work on 1 section at a time. If you go over the whole car at once, you won't get an accurate idea of your progress.

===========================
Don't: use so much polish that you're leaving it caked on the paint. Put an X of polish on the bonnet, smear it over the paint (buffer off) then work it in (buffer on). Work it in thoroughly. As well, though, don't put too little on, or it won't "cover" enough, and you'll end up dry buffing.
: Don't push down on the buffer. Let the product do the work.
: do this in direct sun. Always try to work in the shade.
============================

This is just off the top of my head. You should also read the Detail Guide (link on the left as well as being a Sticky on each forum). If you take your time and inspect your progress frequently, you should be fine.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2005

thanks!!!!!!1
Old 01-29-2005

I second Mama's Boy's good advice, especially about using a foam bonnet or applicator. Avoid the terry bonnets....nasty!

"The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart
Old 02-19-2005

my car have swirl marks so i tried to remove it and i must have used the wrong product recommended by the associate at the shop. he asked me to use mothers cleaner wax but its not working. so i suppose he meant the mothers scratch remover?

now i want to go get Mothers scratch remover and redo it hoping the swirl marks will go away but now that i have a layer of wax on it what should I do?

any other products you will recommend? also my car has been treated with DiamondKote, a layer of clear coat. so what should I do?

I'm desperate coz my car is black and it's a pain coz the car is new! Someone washed it without me knowing and now it has swirl marks all over!

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-20-2005

Airbus, sorry to hear about the 'swirl-it' wash treatment your car received.

Mothers Cleaner Wax is an outstanding non-abrasive all-in-one product, but it won't remove swirls.

Swirl removal requires an abrasive polish, like Scratch Remover. Any wax previously applied will be removed by Scratch Remover, so wax after using it.

I guess DiamondKote wasn't diamond hard! The only way to get a new layer of clearcoat is to go to a bodyshop and get clearcoat sprayed on.

Anything less is simply a synthetic sealant that, while being reasonably durable, won't last very long. If it's scratched or swirled, it's time to take matters into your careful hands.

Did you pay for the treatment?
What are the conditions attached to the treatment?
What is your car?
How old is it?

"The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart
Old 02-20-2005

Sad news is that my car is brand new, only 16 days today.

Should I even try to remove it myself or should I send it to a bodyshop or dealer to have the clear coat reapplied which should give a new lease of life to the paint and all scratches removed?

Will use of scratch removers damage the clear coat?

What do you recommend? It sure is painful to see this on a brand new car to the extent I'm willing to fork out the entire amount again for the paint protection layer to be redone.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-20-2005

Only 16 days! That's tragic. I'd be gunning for the person who put the swirls in!

You didn't mention the car model and conditions of your DiamondKote application.

Airbus, to my knowledge, these treatments are overpriced, overpromised synthetic sealants.

They may provide protection from the elements as long as you keep going back for a *top up* application.

They work, but no better than, say, a regular Mothers 3-step. Really!

I would *not*, I repeat, *NOT* pay for a reapplication. It would be a total waste of your hard-earned cash.

Old 02-20-2005

My ride is a 2005 Acura TSX. The reason I did the entire DiamondKote package was mainly because it included the undercoat rust protection. Lots of salt on the road during winter here in Canada so I thought it could help prevent rust?

Now before I go and buy a scratch remover, I was given a Diamondkote Paint Restorer (Auto Glaze). What does that do and should I give it a try or should I just use a scratch remover on top of that to bring back the gloss? Glaze means it is also able to remove swirls right?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!
Old 02-20-2005

No harm in trying the Auto Glaze and see what it does.

As I said before, the *only* way to *remove* swirls is to use an abrasive polish that abrades the clearcoat and levels out the fine scratches/swirls. When it does that, the DiamondKote, or any protection, will be gone. You'll need to reapply a new protective coat of wax/sealant.

A Glaze doesn't remove swirls, it *hides* them by filling the micro-valleys of the scratch. So try the Glaze, and if your happy with that, fine.

If you want to *remove* swirls, then you need something more abrasive.

Old 02-20-2005

Alfisti,

Thank you so much for your help!

I'm going to try the glaze see how it works. I know it is non-abrasive and is kind of a wax right? I'll give it a try before doing anything else.

After glazing, I'll just apply a layer of Mother's wax and it will do the job right?
Old 02-20-2005

A glaze *normally* provides minimal protection, but vendors frequently follow their own naming conventions....it *may* provide decent protection.

Topping with wax is a prudent step...just make sure it's something without cleaners in it, like Mothers Natural Carnauba Wax, not the Cleaner Wax...otherwise it will remove the glaze and you'll be back at square one.

Old 02-20-2005

Thanks a million.

I will give it a try next weekend. Going to have to wash the car in the cold again but that's the price to pay.

Will post again on the result. Hope the 'paint restore' solution will work, or else I will get some scratch remover. Should all fails, I'm only left with one option and that is to reapply some protective coat.

Check back next weekend!
Old 02-20-2005

Airbus,

I know this is too late, but there's no way I'd let a dealer touch the paint on any of my cars again...

It's bad enough that they jack-up the price on these forced "add-ons" and figure you'll cave on it since it's only a few bucks extra per month... but they have some flunkee do the work, which is why you're where you're at.

It's a big dealer finance department rip-off, along with window etching. These guys go to conventions each year to learn the latest rip-off... unfortunately these two are so profitable that they have been around for decades... and people keep buying them.

I hope the damage isn't as bad as my cars had seen, and I wish you the best of luck!
Closed Thread