Thread: New (Used Car)

Post Thanks / Like

New (Used Car)

Hello. Everyone. I am excited to find people that are as interested in detailing their cars as I am. I am new to this forum so I will just jump right in. My first three cars have all been light colored, mostly silver and white until recently and probably covered up my faulty methods for detailing cars up until now.

I just bought a used `94 Mercedes S320 (a dark one, dark grey) a few months ago and went through my same routine cleaning and waxing. It looked great because it was by garage light and I was horrified the next morning when I got to the office to find that my car was just about as ugly as it could be with swirl marks and what appeared to be scratches inflicted by me at the local car wash where I brushed it to death. At any rate I was really sick to my stomach that I could actually inflict this much damage to something I love so much.

I would like for someone to give me a quick run down on how to fix what I have done and which products and steps I should use.

I did manage to fix alot of the swirl marks with Zymol Cleaner Wax but that was all I did. I am still faced with long brush marks and it still just isn`t right. Any help would be appreciated and I am willing to put 12 hours in on this to do it right. Sorry for the long post.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m sure you`ll get plenty of advice here. In my opinion, Mercedes and local car washes are not a good combination. I`m not a huge fan of Zymol products either. You may also want to check the tools you`re using to do the job....for instance - are you using the proper towels? 100 percent cotton terry towels or even better microfiber if have some....Are you doing this by hand, PC, rotary etc.? Many variables can cause the swirls and scratches.

There are also many products available to clear up the swirls and scratches (as long as they aren`t too deep).

It really depends on how bad the swirls are but when it comes to swirl removal, I`m partial to 3M`s swirl remover and it`s usually my first choice. I keep others available but I typically start with 3m because I`ve had decent success using it.

The basic process is:
    1. wash
    2. clay (I clay during the wash process)
    3. correct paint defects and polish (many products available - 3m, megs etc.). Sometimes you may need to use a combination of polishes and/or pads to achieve the desired finish.
    4. protect (wax or sealant but if you use a sealant, make sure the paint has been properly prepared).

Can only offer general advice without seeing the car and/or knowing the exact process used - but I hope this helps and I`m sure other will offer assistance as well.

Good Luck!!!
    Ringo

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I finally got those swirl marks out and figured out a routine for detailing the car. I used the 4 step Mcguires thing with the cleaner, Scratch X, Polish, and then the Wax. I am wondering if I should put Show Car Glaze on there before the wax. The car looks great but will it make a difference. Thanks for the info. I am glad I came across this site, it is like I have a new car now. Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    The glaze will make all the difference in the world it will fill most scratches that you were unable to remove it will make a dark color realy stand out. Dont use anymore brushes at the car wash .

Post Thanks / Like
    Come to think of it there are a few light scratches that are still visible when I look at it very closely. I will try that glaze. Thx for the tip. Rob

Thread Information