Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Cleaning/Not Cleaning PC Pads?

With the recent discussions about velcro seperation from PC pads, I had a few questions.

1. How many hand wash their pads after use? (I do)
    2. How many have had problems with the velcro backing? (I haven`t)
    3. Do you use warm water? (I do, not hot enough that I can`t put my hand in it)
    4. What soap or detergent do you use? (I usually use Dawn, but used Murphy`s Oil Soap recently)
    5. Do you twist or wring the pad? (I don`t, but I do squeeze it quite vigorously)
    6. How many don`t wash their pads after each use?
    7. If you don`t wash them, do you use some other method of cleaning them?
    8. If you just wipe or brush the pads after use, have you ever had any concerns about residue and its possible effect the next time the pad is used?
    9. What does your pad manufacturer suggest for cleaning them? (Meguiar`s does not recommend washing their pads)

Comments?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    PC pads I hand wash in Dawn with the water as hot as my hands will take and I do it pretty thouroughly I think.

I dry them by squeesing them out in the sink...lay them down flat in the sink and push down on them. Then I just let them air dry standing on edge on a towel overnight. I did wring them out but talk of velcro seperation and tearing the pads up discourage that kind of activity.

Never had any problems. Mequire pads on my PC. Lake County on the rotary.....until this week when I started using the Edge 2000 quick change dbl sided pads.

My body shop owner friend does not clean his. He lets them dry and brushes them before the next use.....maybe ....talkin rotary here.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wash my pads after each use in warm water with murphy`s. I then knead the soap out and when I have the majority of the product out, I roll them up like a tortilla shell a few times while rinsing them out until I feel I have all of the product out. I then let them air dry.

I haven`t had any problems with the velcro backing so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning/Not Cleaning PC Pads?

My answers -

1. How many hand wash their pads after use? I do too.
    2. How many have had problems with the velcro backing? Only once out of about 15-20 pads.
    3. Do you use warm water? Yes, always warm water.
    4. What soap or detergent do you use? Dawn antibacterial dishwashing liquid.
    5. Do you twist or wring the pad? Knead and squeeze tightly, then air dry on a wire rack.
    6. How many don`t wash their pads after each use? n/a
    7. If you don`t wash them, do you use some other method of cleaning them? n/a
    8. If you just wipe or brush the pads after use, have you ever had any concerns about residue and its possible effect the next time the pad is used? n/a
    9. What does your pad manufacturer suggest for cleaning them? I have a few different types of pads. Some say hand wash with soap and water; some say they can be machine washed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hand wring my pads with warm water....possibly a small dab of Dawn soap if they are very soiled with product residue.

I dont tumble dry...i just set them outside and let the south florida sun dry the pad out naturrally.
    -Mike

Owner - Mike`s Car Wash & Detail

A New Standard of Excellence.

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

Post Thanks / Like
    I just rinse my pads in warm water, lightly squeeze out the water and let air dry. I have had 1 velcro failure with a pad which was used only 2x`s. This was an extremely thick pad (2") maybe that had something to do with it. No problems with the rest of them which have been used for close to a year.

Dave
    Extreme Clean ~ Extreme Shine
    "Do not hire a man who does your work for money, but him who does it for love of it." - Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like
    do you guys use different products on the same pad?

Post Thanks / Like
    I brush the pc pad off every time but do not wash it until I feel that it needs it. It depends on the vehicle if I wash the hand pad every time sometimes not. I will wash both of them with the chamois in the machine with Purex Free and Clear soap.

Post Thanks / Like
    turn your rotary up to 3,000 rpm and "spin dry your pads

Post Thanks / Like
    I hand wash mine using Dawn and warm water. I squeeze under the faucet until all the soap is out and then wring them to get most of the water out and let air dry. I`ve had one of the Meg`s pads lose the backing so far after probably 10 washings maybe.
    If the wolf howls by the light of the moon in the dark of the night...

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    2drtahoez71: Do you guys use different products on the same pad?

I don`t.

WarrenA: I brush the pc pad off every time but do not wash it until I feel that it needs it. It depends on the vehicle if I wash the hand pad every time sometimes not. I will wash both of them with the chamois in the machine with Purex Free and Clear soap.

Hand pads I usually hand wash the same way I do my R.O. pads.
    Machine washing the velcro pads seems to create problems with some manufacturers velcro attachment. Meguiar`s, (which is what I use), seems to be one that doesn`t handle machine washing too well. Meguiar`s doesn`t recommend washing their R.O. pads at all. :dunno

brianjake99: Turn your rotary up to 3,000 rpm and "spin dry your pads

My original post referred to random orbital pads. Spin drying seems to work with a rotary, but doesn`t seem to work too well with the R.O.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a Megs pad lose the backing for the first time. I left it on the PC for a few days after having used some product on it. It appears the product saturated the pad and made the Velcro so sticky that it wouldn`t relase. The pad felt like it was glued onto the PC and was very hard to get off....so it split apart some.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wash after use - I usually let the pads sit for a day so the product will dry up and be easier to get out (just my opinion) - I use warm water and a little dawn or murphy`s. I have (well had) two brands of pads - Meguiars that came with my kit I got from Dwayne and three "other" pads. With the Megs I could mush them up into little balls if I wanted to (I don`t ) but I have wrung them pretty good and never had a problem with the backing - the other three..well all three lost their backing -one after first use, the rest after a couple uses (the vendor will replace I just need to get off my butt and send them out - although if the replacments do the same thing then whoopie.. )....
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    1. How many hand wash their pads after use? I do
    2. How many have had problems with the velcro backing? Never
    3. Do you use warm water? No, Hose water
    4. What soap or detergent do you use? None, I clean the right after use, and they come out great
    5. Do you twist or wring the pad? Swing the water out, then air dry
    6. How many don`t wash their pads after each use? n/a
    7. If you don`t wash them, do you use some other method of cleaning them? n/a
    8. If you just wipe or brush the pads after use, have you ever had any concerns about residue and its possible effect the next time the pad is used? n/a
    9. What does your pad manufacturer suggest for cleaning them? Use your finger and get crud out before using....ahhhhh

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by groebuck
    the other three..well all three lost their backing -one after first use, the rest after a couple uses (the vendor will replace I just need to get off my butt and send them out - although if the replacments do the same thing then whoopie.. )....
    You might consider just brushing the dried product off the surface of the pad. I think that is all Meguiar`s recommends.
    I do know that a friend of mine in a body shop never washes foam pads he uses on his rotary. He has some brush that he uses to clean them. Seems to work for him.

Charles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information