Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Community - Off Topic

Community - Off Topic Something to talk about besides car care? Please discuss it here in this family-friendly forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 04-08-2010

Question Why I chose Mothers: Seeking advice for my new detailing business

I'm opening my detailing business next week, I've chosen Mothers products over Meguiars but the problem lies on what to tell my customers of why the other detail shops have chosen Meguiars and mine has chosen Mothers. I can't simply give them my personal opinions, thats unprofessional. I've been online looking at threads for the past week looking for an educated answer. I'm not only specializing in car care but marine care as well.
So I guess what I'm asking is "What are the advantages Mothers Products have over Meguiars?"
I'm up against some tough competition and i'd appreciate any feedback especially from the admins.

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2010

Steven. Welcome.

I'll bite, and I'm not an Admin guy.
I understand that it's impossible to take two red cars with you to every client if your business is a mobile one.
However, if you have a store front, and with some room, say on a wall, then buy two red hoods.
Work one up with Meguiars, and the second with Mothers.
Keep in mind that a home enthusiast detailer already has a mindset on the products that they like, and there's nothing much really that will make them change from the products that they use, and doing their own work, then they are not the guys to take their cars in to have them detailed, because they prefer to do it themselves.

However, the average punter off the street just wants his car to look good. If they ever even ask about the two 'M' products take them to the two worked up hoods on your wall, and ask them to pick the difference one from the other.
I might suggest that average punter could not differentiate one from the other.

The point of all this.
It then becomes a personal choice for the client.
If he selects the Mothers, then he's suitably impressed, because he thinks he can pick the difference, and you've won your client right there without having to convince him.
If he selects the other M product, ask him why, and then point out that the two are so close to each other as to be indistinguishable one from the other.

Then explain to him that product selection is not everything, because what is important is the process itself.

Use his own car to explain what you are going to do, and considering that the guy is willing to fork out his money for someone else to do the work, then all he's really looking for is a great result when he comes back to pick his car up.

Also, I might suggest that if the guy bringing his car in for detailing is not a guy coming in with an already detailed up car, so right there, you have clay on your side. get him to feel his own paint, and then the smooth clayed (Mothers) hood. That of itself will further enhance any decision to stay and have the work done.

The number of guys who come in ask 'Mothers or Meguiars' and then leave if you reply Mothers will be very few indeed.

Also, maybe put a few Mothers products posters on the walls, and then they won't really have to ask.

All this is fairly moot though if you're a mobile guy, but I still suggest clay is your best friend here. Clay your truck, and compare his rough finish with your truck's smooth finish. I've found that smooth after clay feel to be the most impressive thing to show people (relatives admitted) whose cars I've worked on.

I know this is long, and I'm only an amateur, as opposed to someone who will be doing this for a living, but if a guy coming off the street asks that question, and then leaves because he gets the wrong answer, then that's his decision.

Hey! Good luck. If you love it that much that you want to do it for a living, then more power to you, because liking the job you do is half the battle won right there.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 04-08-2010

Thanks Tony,
I usually like to do the research on my own like a true entrepreneur but I've just been stumped on what to do here. I'm only 19 and a lot more than I expected has gone into building this business already. I'm not to be compared with most teens now-a-days that chose to be stubborn and arrogant. I'll admit when I need help, but only as a last resort, i'd rather get it wrong 10 times to find the first correct way than to have someone do it for me and be correct the first time. Although in this case, money and time are both limited so I can't afford too many errors.
I appreciate the advice on the two hoods, i'll surely look into that. I do have a stationary garage I work out of. (Not a home garage.) It's a two car capacity space, one side i'm going to concentrate on my cars and trucks, the other my vessels and PWC's.
The clay bar was the first product I bought at a booth at a car show a couple years back and was hooked ever since. For then on it's been a two years "In the making" of this business and finally opening the doors next week.

Thanks again for the advice. Other advice is always appreciated.
Old 04-08-2010

Steven,

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Is your shop in Florida or Wisconsin? Just curious.

There are some professional detailers that frequent this Forum and can probably answer your question better than I can. But I can't resist throwing my .02 in!!

As a professional in the business you are expected to have and share your opinion. Don't shy away from it. Be proud of what you do and the time and effort you put into building your business and your reputation. The customer expects you to be the expert --- otherwise they'd do the job themself.

I'm not sure the question will come up that often. I think that most people are going to seek you out because of the recommendation of a friend or co-worker and because of the reputation you build. That's where your "brag book" of before and after pictures and testimonials comes in to play. Most people won't care what you use as long as you produce results.

If/When the question does come up, here's my answer: "The results you see in these pictures (or on your friend's vehicle) were accomplished by devoting hours of preparation and sweat to each vehicle. The real secret is in the prep work. There are a lot of products on the market and I've tried a bunch of them and find that I'm the most comfortable using Mothers products. I know which Mothers products are going to produce the best results depending on the condition of each vehicle. And I know that I'm going to get consistent results with Mothers products. I'm not saying the other products are "bad," I'm just saying that I've chosen to use Mothers products. After all, if they're good enough for Chip Foose - the custom car builder on Overhaulin', then they're good enough for me. Tell you what, if you're not happy with the way your car looks when I'm done, bring me whatever products you want me to use and I'll do it over for free."

'15 Dodge Challenger SRT - B5 Blue
'17 Dodge Durango R/T - Granite Crystal
Old 04-08-2010

Shop is in Wisconsin, and good advice with the "Brag Book" so to say. That will surely be useful on numerous occasions.
I do have a specific question for you Wizard, What product do you use for maintaing the black metallics shine? FX or Reflections?
Old 04-09-2010
Administrator

Default Re: Why I chose Mothers: Seeking advice for my new detailing business

Welcome, Steven!

We changed your thread title to one that will perhaps be more appropriate, and moved the thread to the Community -- Off Topic forum.
Old 04-09-2010

Ah, I see.
Old 04-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven @ American Dynasty View Post
Shop is in Wisconsin, and good advice with the "Brag Book" so to say. That will surely be useful on numerous occasions.
I do have a specific question for you Wizard, What product do you use for maintaing the black metallics shine? FX or Reflections?
Way too cold up there for me.

I have "a thang" for black cars. Especially when they're all Mother'd up.

When I had my black (non-metallic) '99 Grand Prix GTP I mostly used Mothers' Ultimate Wax System (Cleaner then Sealer/Glaze then Carnauba). Once my daughter began to drive and I had three vehicles to maintain, I switched to Reflections and (usually but not always) Reflections Top Coat to save time. I like the deep glow that you get from either of those product combinations. Most of the work on that car was done by hand.

When we bought my wife's black (metallic) '07 Charger R/T it came pre-swirled from the stealership's car washer and his dirty towels. I used the swirls to beat them down on the price a little further knowing that I could do something about them. I have exclusively used PowerPolish and Reflections on it with a Porter Cable and yellow, white, and black Lake Country pads. (It's due for the full treatment NOW.) When it's Mother'd up, it gets comments everywhere it goes.

On my Midnight Blue Metallic '05 GTO I have used just about everything. I started it out on Reflections and Top Coat and it looked great. Then a couple of cycles later I used the Ultimate Wax System just because I had some extra time one weekend and was nostalgic for the process. Plus, I wanted to see how it looked with Carnauba. Maybe even more amazing. Then, I switched to PowerPolish and PowerWax. It was easier than the UWS and looked similar to Carnauba. But then a few months ago I got a sample of the new FX Synwax Paste. I've received more comments than at any time since I bought the car. It really seems to bring out the Metallic in the Midnight Blue Metallic while maintaining a "deep" look. BTW, this car is my daily driver with a little over 63,000 miles and even non-car people at work asked me what I used on my car. As soon as the horrendous Pep Boys near me gets some on the shelf, I'll have to eat my words and go to their store to buy some.

So ..... the short version of the long answer to your question is..... I'd use FX Synwax (paste or liquid) on a metallic black finish and either Reflections, or the UWS or PowerPolish and PowerWax on a non-metallic black finish.

Hope that helps.

'15 Dodge Challenger SRT - B5 Blue
'17 Dodge Durango R/T - Granite Crystal
Old 04-09-2010

Yes! Thank you, great advice. I enjoy getting the knowledge behind why you use what you use on it, the compliments, and the different products you have used to find what was best.
This saves me a lot of time and money. You'll have to remember me when this whole thing blows up down the east coast so I can get you some free details. Haha
Old 04-09-2010

FX Paste is definitely a different product. The paint stays cleaner, washes clean easier, and water sheets longer which translates to better durability as I think most people would see it.
Old 01-16-2013
Registered User II

Smile Re: Why I chose Mothers: Seeking advice for my new detailing business

I chose it because reading is my hobby and I love cars and I wanna enhance my knowledge in cars, means wanna perfect
That's why I chose and I feel it is a good forum.
Old 01-20-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertika View Post
I chose it because reading is my hobby and I love cars and I wanna enhance my knowledge in cars, means wanna perfect
That's why I chose and I feel it is a good forum.
Vertika,

Thank you for choosing Mothers and for visiting us from so far away -- Please let us know when we can help!

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Closed Thread