Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Community - Off Topic

Community - Off Topic Something to talk about besides car care? Please discuss it here in this family-friendly forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 02-17-2013

Default Australian Holden Pace Car For Daytona 500

Hey guys,

sorry, but I just could not resist saying something about this.

Daytona runs next week.

Chevrolet is running a new car this year, and that new NASCAR Chevy SS is basically a Holden Commodore from Australia.

This weekend just gone was week one of the Daytona spectacular.

Danica Patrick has put one of those Chevy/Holdens on pole, becoming the first woman on pole for the Premier Division of NASCAR.

Added to that, Kevin Harvick won the second tier Sprint Cup race in one of those new Chevy's and then on top of that, this Chevy/Holden has also been selected as the official Pace Car as well.

One thing obvious is the similarity between what the NASCAR racer looks like and what the showroom car looks like, and while in other years that similarity was pretty obscure, this year you can actually notice the similarity.

The following link is to the Pace Car announcement.

Daytona Pace Car the new Chevy SS

Here in Australia, our premier race car event is the V8 Supercar series which runs along similar lines to your NASCAR Series, a number of races spread throughout the year, and here in Oz, we also run this same Commodore in racing trim.

For years this series has been fought out between the Commodore's and Ford's Falcon, and this year those two are joined by Mercedes and Nissan.

So, while you watch those NASCAR racers going around this weekend, we here in Oz will also be doing the same, as our first race in the Series also kicks off this weekend, the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide.

While in the US, there are only a couple of races not held on Oval tracks, all our races are on full racing tracks.

The same Chevy you will see is the same Holden we'll be watching here.

Nice to see an Australian car on the Pole at Daytona. (nyuk nyuk nyuk!)

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 02-18-2013

Default Re: Australian Holden Pace Car For Daytona 500

I do not pay that much attention to nascar as of late since the cars seem so detached from the real ones at least to the extent of translating track success with real work efforts.

GM has been getting multiple vehicles from the Australia. I thought the Saturns mostly came from there. The US designed cars were smooth and quiet but handling was poor.
Old 03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnot View Post
I do not pay that much attention to nascar as of late since the cars seem so detached from the real ones at least to the extent of translating track success with real work efforts.

GM has been getting
car accessories multiple vehicles from the Australia. I thought the Saturns mostly came from there. The US designed cars were smooth and quiet but handling was poor.
Hello I am planning to purchase used car. My budget it $4000, can you recommend some good options.

Last edited by Joejames; 03-12-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejames View Post
Hello I am planning to purchase used car. My budget it $4000, can you recommend some good options.
I cannot help you with this topic.