Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Community - Off Topic

Community - Off Topic Something to talk about besides car care? Please discuss it here in this family-friendly forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 05-26-2014

Default Product and technique

You know, ever since I learned the intricacies of detailing my truck using various techniques and Mothers products, I'm seeing parallel applications to everyday cleaning. From washing teflon coated pans, to brushing my boy's teeth, I'm extraordinarily aware of the significance of product and technique.
Old 05-26-2014

Default Re: Product and technique

Yes, usually good cleaning techniques apply to almost everything from using the right product for the right surface to how to fold a microfiber towel to dry efficiently.
Old 05-27-2014

Technique is your friend here.

The thing which amazes most people when I work on their cars is the very last thing before drying after the wash.

Having worked on their family cars before, my grand daughter, nearly 16 now, was watching as I did their small yellow Hyundai Getz, now ten years old.

I did the wash with two buckets while she watched on, (umm, phone in hand) with no comment during the wetting down, the sudsing by section, roof down, roof first. I can get through a small car like this in short time now, in four main sections, and the low pressure final rinse, virtually just a dribble across the surfaces.

No comment until the roof had the final rinse, and the water just sheeted away, and was virtually dry before damping a microfibre to get that last little bit of water.

Then came the puzzled response.

"Hey, how come its almost dry, and all you used was water?"

How do you explain something like that to a 15 year old?

"The water just sorta ..... slides right off."

Keep your car worked up, and it just becomes so much easier.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 07-29-2014

I have been using car washes for years, doing a ultimate package which includes waxing. How much more effective is a hand waxing technique? Will is make my car look newer?
Old 07-29-2014

The "waxes" applied by car washes (if applied during the wash process) are not really durable compared to a hand applied wax. The primary purpose of the car wash wax is to make it bead and does not for protection.

If your wash includes some sprayed on wax it will have a bit more durability.

With a hand applied applied you actually will get some protection for the paint (the real goal for a wax) to protect it from the elements. It is easier to clean paint that has been waxed once you see the difference.
Old 07-29-2014
Mothers® Polish

As abnot mentioned, spray on waxes do not have the same durability as a hand or machine applied product.

And, using a one step cleaner/wax can help with minor defect removal, which isn't done at all with a spray on wax.

Our Detail Guide has some great tips and tricks in it. Take a read and download or print any areas you'd like which can help you make a decision.

A clayed paint is smoother to the touch, and makes application and removal of waxes easier.

So, at a minimum you'd want to:

Wash
Clay
Wax
Maintain (spray on wax) after washing

And, welcome to waxforum.
Old 08-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnot View Post
The "waxes" applied by car washes (if applied during the wash process) are not really durable compared to a hand applied wax. The primary purpose of the car wash wax is to make it bead and does not for protection.

If your wash includes some sprayed on wax it will have a bit more durability.

With a hand applied applied you actually will get some protection for the paint (the real goal for a wax) to protect it from the elements. It is easier to clean paint that has been waxed once you see the difference.
Yes my wash usually includes a sprayed on wax. Extra protection of the paint by hand waxing would be cool, I will try this see how it looks. Thanks abnot. Do you know if there are placing that offer hand waxing services in Toronto, Canada?
Old 08-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest T. View Post
As abnot mentioned, spray on waxes do not have the same durability as a hand or machine applied product.

And, using a one step cleaner/wax can help with minor defect removal, which isn't done at all with a spray on wax.

Our Detail Guide has some great tips and tricks in it. Take a read and download or print any areas you'd like which can help you make a decision.

A clayed paint is smoother to the touch, and makes application and removal of waxes easier.

So, at a minimum you'd want to:

Wash
Clay
Wax
Maintain (spray on wax) after washing

And, welcome to waxforum.

Hand waxing really removes defects? Thanks for sharing the detail guide I will definitely read this guide. I currently use automatic car washes with MacNeil Wash Systems car wash equipment, to do my washing/waxing. So would it still be okay to use this to maintain the spray on wax?
Old 08-26-2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlack0 View Post
Hand waxing really removes defects? Thanks for sharing the detail guide I will definitely read this guide. I currently use automatic car washes with MacNeil Wash Systems car wash equipment, to do my washing/waxing. So would it still be okay to use this to maintain the spray on wax?
There are polishes in all of our waxes, except our Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax and our Reflections Top Coat.

These polishes are milder in our Synthetic Wax, FX and Reflections than in our Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax, but they do handle light defects.

A spray wax is mostly about adding gloss and protection.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Closed Thread