Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Community - Off Topic

Community - Off Topic Something to talk about besides car care? Please discuss it here in this family-friendly forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 05-12-2015

Default FX Line Gone?

Has the FX line been discontinued? It is no longer on the product page.
Old 05-12-2015
Administrator

Default Re: FX Line Gone?

Yes, FX has been discontinued.

For substitutions, you can use the following guidelines:

20011 FX SynWax Paste – substitute 05511 California Gold Synthetic Paste Wax (same formula).

20016 FX SynWax (liquid) — substitute 05716 California Gold Synthetic Wax liquid (thicker, richer and more durable formula).

20224 FX Spray Wax — substitute 05724 California Gold Spray Wax (lighter formula); if you like the FX formula better than Cal Gold, try Autozone's M-Tech Spray Wax for a similar result.

20324 FX Tire Shine — substitute 05316 or 05324 Protectant (for water-based dressing needs) or 06924 Back-to-Black Tire Shine (for a shinier petroleum-based formula); if you really like the FX formula, try Autozone's M-Tech Tire Shine for a similar result.

20524 FX Wheel & Tire Cleaner — substitute 05924 Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner (same formula).

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 06-02-2015

Was FX Tire Shine also water-based? Sorry to hear it go, it was my favorite tire dressing. Thanks for the substitution guideline.
Old 06-02-2015

Just as a side topic on the discontinuation of the FX range and how our friend at Admin mentioned here that there are equivalent products, I'm always somewhat reticent to ask the somewhat expected question, you know, hey is product (a) the same as product (b), quite naturally, as you wouldn't expect the Company, well, any Company really. to say that well we can't really say, and that's wholly understandable.

So, my car never gets to the point where it could be categorised as anything, umm, not pristinely clean.

So, there's sometimes products I would never really get to use, because there's no need to.

One of those products was indeed the FX Wheel and Tire Cleaner, because my rims have never been at the stage where anything other than a quick wipe during the routine car wash would suffice to get them back to fully clean.

So, keeping that in mind, I left those rims uncleaned and waited, and waited, and waited, until they got really really dirty. My good lady wife even commented after a couple of washes, mentioning ever so politely that I had, umm, forgotten to clean the wheels, or words to that effect.

So, this weekend, they were really really unclean with a good coating of brake dust. (darned Euro cars)

So, here I am, itching to try out my bottle of spray on foaming wheel cleaner, knowing how difficult baked on black brake pad dust can be when mixed with the usual dirt from after rain events etcetera.

I looked at the Mothers list of products to make sure I was using the correct one, and in the correct manner, and for any tips on how to use it to best advantage, other than what was written on the 'red bottle'. I wasn't quite game enough to ask my good friends Forrest and kbshadow if the product was the right one, because the first thing they would think was that, hey, Tony's not cleaning his car as regularly as he should be.

I sort of remembered this Thread from a couple of weeks back and went and had a look, and there it was. The equivalent product, generally speaking.

So, prior to the actual wash, I did the rims with that unused bottle of FX Wheel and Tire Cleaner.

Just sprayed it on, watched it foam up, left it for around 90 seconds and then hosed it off with the hose on high pressure.

Magic.

Perfectly clean rims, virtually not even needing to be wiped over at all.

Spray on and Hose off.

Now that's my idea of cleaning rims.

Then I just washed and dried the car, and gave it a run over with the spray wax of choice at the moment.

Incidentally, our car is now 14 years old, and looks as good now as it looked when we got hold of it.

From using normal consumer use products, how can anyone not fail to be impressed when you see something like that.

Best thing I ever did when I took the advice to visit this site back in May of 2005. Ten years now.

Every product I've used has had that same magic result, previously only the province of many dollars worth at an auto detailer.

Now, even though I've used that Wheel and Tire Cleaner, I'll never get to that stage again where it needs it, but at least I'll know what to use to save a lot of work if I ever work on a family member's car in future.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.

Last edited by TonyfromOz; 06-03-2015 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Aha! Spelling error. Who would have believed it?
Old 06-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trac_511 View Post
Was FX Tire Shine also water-based? Sorry to hear it go, it was my favorite tire dressing. Thanks for the substitution guideline.
I believe the rule of thumb is if it is milky white it is water based and if it is clear it is oil based.
Old 06-03-2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnot View Post
I believe the rule of thumb is if it is milky white it is water based and if it is clear it is oil based.
Not sure if it's a rule of thumb, but you are correct in this case...

M-Tech Tire Shine is also water-based, and is the same formula as FX.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 06-03-2015

Say, I know I've mentioned this a couple of times before, but we don't get all of the Mothers products here in Australia, and hey, that's understandable. It's a lot to import, so there has to be some thought into just what can be brought here.

Now, while that may be a problem, it's so minor for me as to be something that doesn't worry me much at all.

However, even some of the products which do come here are (ever so slightly) re-labeled, and again, that's also understandable.

This product I mentioned, the old FX Wheel and Tire Cleaner above is one of them, and here in Oz, they just call it Wheel Cleaner. It's shown here (at this link) and is the bottom right product shown there. Note the name on the 'red bottle', and also note the product ID which is similar with the last 5 numbers. It's the same product.

Now, while some of you may notice the cost there, and probably think it's a bit steep, and then note the same cost thing with the other 3 FX products shown there also, and wonder how they are so much more expensive here than they are in the U.S. it's another of those things which also doesn't bother me in the least.

It's wholly understandable, because all these products are imported from the U.S. so that cost has to be recovered, and I understand that, and couldn't care less about the cost.

Why? Because all car care products here in Oz are similarly priced, no matter from which manufacturer the product comes from. They all have to be imported wholly from other Countries.

However, having said that, there is something which can be done, and here, that bane of letterboxes all over, Junk Mail, is your friend here. The big ones here in Oz are AutObarn, Supercheap Auto, and to a slightly lesser degree, Repco.

Virtually every week, one of the other of them bring out their latest junk mail delivery in that pile of brochures. In most cases, some of these products are always on special, and sometimes that can be as much as 40% off, and when you have a product like, say, this wheel cleaner, that 40% saving takes it from the list price down to around $15. And it's sometimes not just a couple or a few products, but sometimes the whole range of them. So, at times when I find I need a replacement product or even a new one, I can always find one of those stores where it's on special.

I suppose that gives the impression that I'm a bit of a tightwad, but hey, you do what you can to save as much as you can.

Either way, all the products from all the manufacturers are similarly priced, so it's the same here as it is in the U.S.

And for 'off the shelf' consumer easy to use products, if you find something which works, why bother changing to something else.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Closed Thread