Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Community - Off Topic

Community - Off Topic Something to talk about besides car care? Please discuss it here in this family-friendly forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 01-31-2013

Default New Mothers Home Page

Say, I like the new Home Page for Mothers.com with the image of ProPane.

ProPane also provides the images for the new Mothers Catalog, (pdf document)and I hope I'm not jumping the gun for our friend at Admin in posting the link prior to any new announcement on the Catalog.

It's also worthy of note that this car, now a few years old, shows that Mothers was indeed ahead of the curve so to speak, as that Liquid Propane Injection is now moving across into more commercial availability, and mostly in the area of high performance vehicles, which I suppose says something about the technology being probably better for that high performance sector.

The Australia branch of GM, Holden, has a special vehicles area where they trick out standard Holdens with high performance capabilities, and that branch of the Company is known as Holden Special Vehicles. (HSV)

The top of the line flagship vehicle is the HSV Holden is the HSV E3 Clubsport R8 shown at the following link.

HSV E3 Clubsport R8.

Note in the opening paragraph it quotes the vehicle as 325KW 6.2 Litres, and as meaningless as that sometimes sounds, that translates to a 380 cubic inch engine producing 436HP.

At that linked page, when you scroll down to the Options the third option there is for Liquid Propane Injection, and a small text on that is at the following link.

HSV Liquid Propane Injection

It's not like your normal LPG conversion either, as this is enhanced for higher performance.

With that also comes a hefty price tag, starting from $66K and there are 4 versions in the range, right up to $89K for the top of the range Grange model.

Oh well, at least I can look at the images and read about them.

Also, I note with interest that Chevy has released its new NASCAR race car for this year. It's based (very loosely) around the U.S. Chev SS, but in fact is heavily based around the 2013 Holden Commodore. That article is shown at the following link, and also shows some of the new NASCAR's in the racing trim for some of the NASCAR drivers.

Chevrolet SS NASCAR revealed - 2013 Holden Commodore

One up for the Aussies I guess.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 01-31-2013

Default Re: New Mothers Home Page

Tony

Went there, nice, took me a while to figure out the license plate.

Kbshadow
Stockton ca.
Old 01-31-2013

The LPG part of the license plate stands for Liquified Petroleum Gas, which is in fact Propane.

In earlier days, back in the mid and late 70's, it was sometimes misconstrued as Low Pressure Gas, but the above is the correct terminology.

These days, it is in fact Propane.

In earlier days it was used in conversions for petrol cars, and some in fact still run dual fuel, both petrol and the propane gas, with a simple switch on the dash to change from one to the other, and while some may have concerns over safety, it was, and still is, in fact quite safe. In most cases, those conversions just added a large tank in the boot (trunk) somewhat similar to a barbecue bottle, only longer, and the relevant piping up to the engine bay. It was injected in a gaseous form I seem to remember, but these days liquid injection is more efficient, and better as well.

Tony.

Old 03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbshadow View Post
Tony

Went there, nice, took me
car accessories a while to figure out the license plate.

Kbshadow
Stockton ca
Hey what is your thought about amazon and eBay to buy car products?

Last edited by Joejames; 03-12-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejames View Post
Hey what is your thought about amazon and eBay to buy car products?
JoeJames

I buy a lot of stuff there but not car products.

We have a PepBoys close by that carries most things at a good price so just go there.

Kbshadow
Stockton ca.
Old 04-09-2013

Here in Australia, we have a limited choice of stockists really, and so I usually stay with the big 2 here, AutObarn and Supercheap, but mainly the former.

I started out with them, and the store manager was the one who directed me to this site. He was pretty knowledgeable about the Mothers range, and gave me a good deal on my original purchase of a range of products. Because of that, I always stuck with that particular store, at Runaway Bay, and oddly, he always had the best range of virtually all the Mothers products, and also the largest stock holding of Mothers products I've seen in any store, anywhere.

When I moved here to Rockhampton, I stayed with them. The range is nowhere near as large as for the former store, but I can always get what I want eventually.

We pay a lot more than you guys in America, but hey, I can understand that. They have to be imported here, and when you look at the range of products, the price is similar, no matter what product you purchase from all the available products available at retail level.

I've never even felt the need to try any other products because, hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The only piece of bad luck we have here in Oz is that the Importers don't take the Mothers accessories, so I have to sometimes source microfibre from other places. But hey, that's also no hassle.

In the early days of advertising we had a fly spray here in Oz called Mortein, and their logo was:

Quote:
When you're on a good thing, stick to it!
That's the same with me and Mothers products.

Tony.

Post Script: You'll notice that logo at the end of the first (scratchy) TV ad from 1957. It shows Louie The Fly, one of the most enduring TV characters from Australian TV.

Mortein When you're on a good thing stick to it

In the second series of Louie The Fly ads released in 1962, a jingle was added, and that jingle was written by famed author Bruce Courtenay, who started out here in Oz in the advertising business. Louie still exists to this day, one of the most recognised advertising jingles in Australian history.

Louie The Fly

Last edited by TonyfromOz; 04-10-2013 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Added the Post Script
Closed Thread