Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Community - Off Topic

Community - Off Topic Something to talk about besides car care? Please discuss it here in this family-friendly forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 06-27-2015

Default From The Power Tour

At the end of each Power Tour, I look forward to not just reading the daily 'blog', but looking at all the wonderful images, and not just those that do make it to the daily reports, but all of them. I had a couple of hours to spare today so I just scrolled through them just looking at what is really not just a scroll through some hot cars, but looking at what is American Heritage, the cars from a time when 'fossil fuel' was not a dirty phrase, and it's just so nice to see some pride in restoration and upkeep of these wonderful old cars, which are part of our history, who we are.

During that process, I found some other cars as well, some of them not from America, and even a Falcon from Australia.

Another I found was this wonderful image of a 1971 Land Cruiser, I have included below.

It took me back too, because when I was with the Royal Australian Air Force during those years, I was posted to four flying Squadrons during my time from the late 60's until I was married in 1981. Because I was at a flying Squadron, and they were often sent on deployment, a certain number of us had to have RAAF qualified driving licences, and we while nearly everyone had a regular drivers licence, only those with RAAF licences were authorised to drive RAAF vehicles.

In around 1970, the RAAF replaced it's old Land Rovers with these new Japanese 'jeep' style vehicles, and we wondered how lucky we were because those old Land Rovers were sometimes very temperamental to drive. These new Land Cruisers were the 'duck's guts' to use an old term popular at the time for something that was really really good. They were so comfortable, as easy to drive as a sedan, had synchro on all gears, and a gearbox with a much better handling capability for driving on ordinary roads, and not just off road, and steering which was not as sloppy as those on the old Land Rovers.

Now, this one on the Power Tour may have had a different engine option than the relatively small straight six of the original, but the one in the image has most of the original options giving the impression that it is a relatively true restoration.

From the image note the heavy duty winch and steel cable, and hook.

Also of note here is another little something I've actually highlighted with the second image and that leads back to the Thread I made back in February when we had the Cyclone here in Rockhampton, and with the power out for five days, I used those two large Mothers car wash buckets as our only cold storage, and I added an old towel over the top of the open bucket. The towel was wet, and the evaporation process kept what was inside a lot cooler than the 100 degree plus ambient air temperature. That was based on the process used for the Coolgardie Safe first popularised here in Australia for cooling back in the 1890's.

This Land Cruiser has a canvas water bag attached to the front, and here. I've made the image larger to explain how they work. These water bags were extremely popular in Australia, and virtually every long haul truck working in non urban areas here in Australia had one of these attached to the front bumper, as did most vehicles travelling around Australia on the tourist trails, and you still occasionally see them.

The principle is this.

Note they are made of canvas, and the weave is such that they are still relatively open weave.

You fill them with water and, naturally, they leak. However, as the canvas soaks, the canvas fibres expand somewhat, and it (almost) seals the material. As it is now wet on the outside, and here, mounted on the front of the vehicle, the air flowing over this wet material acts as an evaporative mechanism, keeping the water not just at ambient air temperature, not just slightly cool, but as cool almost as water from a refrigerator.

Note that this one has a cork stopper at the upper left there.

This one is from the Hirsch-Weis Company, and they were based in Portland Oregon, where this vehicle came from for the Power Tour.

Having drunk water from one of these canvas cooler bags, it's actually surprising just how cold the water really is.

It's nice to see things like this which were once in common use, and to know that the idea is being kept alive, in much the same manner as enthusiasts are keeping alive all these old cars which are part of our history.

Tony.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ToyotaLandCruiser.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	1957   Click image for larger version

Name:	ToyotaLandCruiserWaterBag.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	1958  

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 06-28-2015
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: From The Power Tour

Tony - thanks for the info. There's history all around us.

It's interesting - as the Power Tour became established (21 years now), entrants came from further away. I remember an early year where a guy drove a Mustang Cobra from Anchorage, Alaska to Los Angeles; then drove the Power Tour to Detroit. After it ended he drove back to Anchorage.

That's some serious mileage!

Now we have Aussies, South Africans, Fins and many others.

Some ship their cars over; others buy one here and then ship it back home.

BTW, we were fortunate to take the world's record back from Oz for the largest burnout. Check the coverage for Memphis.

Yours truly walked up and down the line of cars, shooting those tire-melting shots.
Old 06-28-2015

I saw that Forrest.

114 cars. Our record was set 5 Months earlier at The Summernats at Canberra with 103 cars.

Incidentally, as to that Land Cruiser in the image, that's probably the one vehicle which opened up the 4WD boom here in Australia, with those vehicles which are now commonplace on our roads.

Before that, all you had available to the general public were those Land Rovers, and they were not all that conducive to being liked by people, as they were specifically designed to do just what they did do, while these new Land Cruisers were so much more accessible at every level for people who wanted to occasionally go Off Road, but wanted all the comforts and options of an ordinary vehicle on the roads, and those Land Rovers didn't do that, as good as they were.

This started a small niche market which has now grown to where we have it today.

Some like to say it started here in Oz with the Datsun Patrol, but this Land Cruiser was better on so many levels, and sold better as well, as word got out.

Note just behind the Guard there the small door opened outwards. That's the, umm, air conditioning inlet. I think it was a small foot operated little lever mechanism allowed you to open that door and let the outside air inside the car at foot level. They also had an upper mounted one as well just under the windscreen on either side, and again, just a small outwards opening flap which allowed the air in. Functional.

And Forrest, congratulations on attending all of those Power Tours so far. You must have your on stage presence down pat now.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 06-29-2015
Mothers® Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyfromOz View Post

And Forrest, congratulations on attending all of those Power Tours so far. You must have your on stage presence down pat now.

Tony.
Thanks, but believe it or not, I usually have no idea what I'm going to talk about until I get up on the stage. It just happens.

I'm more amazed that wonderful couple bid $4,000 to have dinner with me, and the proceeds going to Susan Komen.
Closed Thread