Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Marine & RV Care

Marine & RV Care Do you have a boat, RV or other water toy? Ask your questions here. Products from our new Marine Line may be just what you need.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 11-05-2009

Default Swimming Pool Care?

Hi I have a unusual question for the forum. I have a fibreglass in ground pool which has salt water in it. I have noticed that there is a white stain around and above the water line. I have been told that this is oxidation and that the way to get rid of it is to polish it off. The pool manufacturer uses a 400 grade polish that he purchases in bulk and is not willing to sell me a smaller amount. I have purchased the Marine Cleaner Wax and tested it on a small patch. It does seem to get rid of some of the stain but not all especially near the water line. This could be because the rag gets wet no matter how careful I am near the water line. Has any one out there had this problem? Is the Marine Cleaner Wax the right product to use. Is it approx 400 grade? Is it possible to use a power ball near the water and does the water affect the polishing action?
Thanks in advance for any answers
Con
Old 11-05-2009
Administrator

Default Re: Swimming Pool Care?

First off, you would want to avoid power tools near water; A cordless tool would be fine, or you should drain the pool. Water will dilute the polish and impede the polishing process, so you would want to avoid getting the PowerBall wet.

While I have a hard time thinking some of what you're seeing is not simple mineral deposits, if it is indeed oxidation, visit your local marine supply and ask for a gelcoat oxidation remover, then follow with our Marine Cleaner Wax.
Old 11-05-2009

Ok I'll give that a go
Thanks again
Con
Old 11-05-2009

Maybe there's no need to drain the pool completely.
Just release water so it's say 6 inches to a foot lower than the staining, and then try working on it.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 11-05-2009

Yep I don't think the neighbours would be too impressed with my water conservation if I completely emptied it but a few inches out wont hurt, I'll get on in the next week or so,
Regards
Con
Closed Thread