Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Marine & RV Care

Marine & RV Care Do you have a boat, RV or other water toy? Ask your questions here. Products from our new Marine Line may be just what you need.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 03-07-2010

Default Powerball marine and powerball for paint

Robert M said "It's the same product, packaged and marketed for the Marine industry."

Does this hold true for the powerball mini too? Is there only one powerball product or is powerball for paint different?

I'm getting ready to clean my boat up for the season and I want to have the best looking boat on the lake! It's a 2000 so the gelcoat is older and has light oxidation.

I'll read through the forum and ask more questions as they come up... In the meantime if you can point me to the first step I'll start there. Thanks!

Rick Large
T-1 Certified AMSOIL Dealer

2624 East Catalina Circle
Mesa AZ 85204

Phone (480) 217 7625
www.lubeleaders.com
rick.large@gmail.com
Old 03-07-2010
Administrator

Default Re: Powerball marine and powerball for paint

Welcome to Wax Forum!

It sounds like you may be a little confused.

The gold-colored PowerBall 4Paint in our automotive line is designed for paint, but it also works great on gelcoat. It is not currently available in our Marine line.

Do not use any of our red PowerBall products or the PowerCone on paint or gelcoat.
Old 03-07-2010

Ok, I am confused, thanks for setting my straight. I am brand new to waxes and process. I will get the gold powerball. I'd like to find the marine synthetic wax but have had trouble. The employees at West Marine were really pushing Meguairs flagship and they didn't carry any Mother's products. I can't get the marine synthetic wax through AMSOIL like I get my other products so I'll have to hunt those special products down.
Thanks for your help!

Rick Large

Mesa AZ 85204

Phone (480) 217 7625
www.lubeleaders.com
rick.large@gmail.com
Old 03-07-2010
Administrator

For some reason I don't see our Marine Synthetic Wax #91556, 16 oz on the Amsoil online catalog -- that's what we'd recommend. They do have most of our other Marine products listed.

You should be able to order it through your local auto parts store through the Keystone Distributors catalog -- they would have it in a couple of days.
Old 03-07-2010
Administrator

I should add that if you have oxidation, you may need to use a dedicated gelcoat oxidation remover as a first step. You can use this with the PowerBall 4Paint as well.
Old 03-07-2010

Thanks, I just picked up the powerball 4paint. I've got some left over meguiars one step that I'll use to remove the oxidation and then try to find the marine synthetic wax. Would you recommend applying the FX spray wax or reflections top coat as a final step?

When I need to wax again around mid season, do I have to remove the old wax or simply wash and apply more?

Thanks for your help! this forum is awesome

Rick Large

Mesa AZ 85204

Phone (480) 217 7625
www.lubeleaders.com
rick.large@gmail.com

Last edited by Ick; 03-07-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-07-2010
Administrator

FX Spray Wax is a good idea to use periodically, like after a wash or after an outing -- just like you'd use it on a car.

You'd have to decide if the extra effort of adding a top coat is worth it -- you'd have a little added protection, but you may wish to spend the time in the boat instead of working on it.

Mid-season, you can wash and apply wax as you see fit. No need to "remove" old wax, as there really shouldn't be any wax buildup. If you have oxidation, address it again at that time.
Closed Thread