Post Thanks / Like

Question Need a jump start!!!

Not sure what`s happening, but business is really starting to slow. Would love some ideas of maketing strategies that WORK.

Here`s my current situation:
    I have a few die-hard customers that I do bi-weekly. Anyone else I detail, I try to set them up with another appointment after I finish the job when they are still looking at their reflection and saying "WOW!" I call all old customers once a month and remind them I`m still around. I get most of my new business from someone actually seeing me in action and asking me my prices. But now a lot of the old customers are not re-newing, so I`m not out there as much being seen.

I tried going door to door at businesses and handing out flyers - dressed nice, professional..everything. No bites.

I posted probably 500-600 goor hangers in residential neighborhoods. Nothing came from it.

I put advertising on my vehicle and have gotten a couple of calls, but no follow-throughs.
    :wait

So what really works? I`m on a budget, so I don`t have money for a Yellow Pages ad. I`m strictly mobile, so it`s not a matter of location.

I`ve kinda shied away from windshield flyers because I know what I do with them when I find them on my windshield. Anyone have any real luck with these?

I`m close to offering some severe discounts or giveaways just to get myself seen again. I figure investing my time in advertising is cheaper than investing money.

I need to hear from you guys who have made it and your business is solid. WHAT WORKS?????
    :brick

Post Thanks / Like
    It sound like you might have some competetion. I would find where your old customers are going and find out what made them switch. You dont want to get into the habit of offering big discounts to often because you customers will start to expect it. If you offer superior customer service and superior quality then you should be able to fetch a fair price and keep customers....Hope this helps

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Boynton Beach eh? ....well hello neighbor!

-Mike

Owner - Mike`s Car Wash & Detail

A New Standard of Excellence.

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of prices are you charging?
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3:5

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a few die hard customers those are golden. What I think that detailers forget is that most people think that getting there car detailed is a once every year or less than that thing for them.
    I have found the best way to get business is talking directly to the prospect, such as parking lots. I saw a guy eating lunch in a 540 BMW with bird carp all over the trunk. I offered him my card and told him that the acid was eating threw the clear coat. Hw called me two days later and I got the job.
    I offered him a free detail for referrals that called me with a full job. I got two jobs from that. I continue to offer the same to those people that have the high end cars, to build the network.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    To Elortt:
    Just made my sales calls last night. No one said they were going anywhere else. Most just said "Not right now" or "Don`t have the money"

Post Thanks / Like
    To Mike:
    Yeah, I`ve seen your place. Driven by and said "Some day....yep....Some day."
    I think you have some mobile units also, don`t you?

Post Thanks / Like
    To Jason:
    My prices arew average for mobile in the Palm Beach area. $100 for a complete detail. Little more for 3-step paint restoration, $50 for wash/wax, $20 for wash/dry......and some things in between. But you get the idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    PBstyle I want to see your flyers brochures etc. That could always say alot email me a copy so I can tell you if it needs any adjustments.

Post Thanks / Like
    To Beemerboy:
    You know, I always keep some cards in my pocket for just such an occasion. You`d laugh yourself silly to know how many times I`ve had this conversation with myself:
    "You should really go over there and give that guy your card"
    "Well, he looks kinda busy"
    "Yeah, but his Porsche is a mess. You`re just the guy for the job."
    "But I gotta be somewhere in 20 minutes"
    "It will take you 2 minutes to walk over there and talk to him."
    "He`ll probably just toss it away. You know, another `OK, I have your number, I might just call.`"
    "You never know if you don`t go over there."
    "He`s gonna be one of those cheap ```````s who`s gonna try to haggle price. Just look at him."
    "I can`t. He got in the car and left. Nice job, Mr. Trump."

I know what you`re saying is right. I just need to work on being able to make that cold contact. And probably see someone about those conversations I keep having with myself. People are starting to stare.

Post Thanks / Like
    PBstyle I want to see your flyers brochures etc. That could always say alot email me a copy so I can tell you if it needs any adjustments.

Post Thanks / Like
    At least I know I`m not the only one that hears voices in my head.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    In the office complex that I work in every summer there is this one College kid that Puts his sign right by the entrance way of the building. And offers a decent detail job. All done by hand... Ill post his prices when he starts coming around which will probably within the next few weeks.

He posts the sign different places every day of the week ... And says that he usually gets enough people from each complex that he spends the day there. Perhaps thats an idea for extra pick up in business.

What about Car shows? I know everyone usually passes out different flyes for other events why not toss in a business card or a flyer of your own. They might not want you to detail their show car but maybe there every day beater needs a little help!

E-mail. If you don`t already have a website ... start one ... its approx $100.00 for the year ... and if you don`t know how to design it your can usually find inexpensive help (like me thats my side business) and create a mailing list for your customes. What you do with the mailing list is after your done with the detail snap off a few pics of the car (before/after) and send it to them in an e-mail and at the bottom of the e-mail have a coupon and tell them to please foward on to friends and family with every full detial they they can use their (input coupon discount here) and if any friends actually go for a full detail give the orignal guy a kick back! either an extra service that you normally charge for or say you will do their wife`s car or do another polish on their car ect.... when they see what kind of work you have done with their car you might get some of their friends.

Cold calling in my opinion is a lost cause. People don`t want to be bothered at home in the evening. While some don`t mind there is always 1 or 2 people that get annoyed which is very discouring! So I have always found it to not work!

Another thing you can do is...get the little travel size spray bottles and fill them with quick detailer. Every detial you do toss in the bottle of quick detailer or another product. Put your label on the bottle. Tell them its a professional grade product and its great for them to use in between if they get bird poop on there car or something. when they are out... they will have your phone number in hand! ...

Wow yet another long reply.... sorry if im long winded ... Just trying to offer up some help. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    To Focusedonsound:

Naw, that`s cool. you be as long winded as you want. You have some great ideas. Innovative. I`ll try some. And I`ll keep you in mind about the website. I have consistently thought it would be a good idea - especially with some before and after pics of my work.

Thread Information