Squeaky Wheels Get Grease msanta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Concern about using Perfect IT III Machine Glaze!

I went to an auto parts store near my house that sells 3M products and got Perfect It III Machine Glaze to see if I could get rid of some fine swirl marks. I used my Porter Cable, it came off easy, after that I used some S100 paste wax. The truck looks good but I heard that this particular glaze is used after a compound. Thinking that the truck is only a year old I don`t know if it was really that necessary to do it. What are your opinions? Did I screw up?

Post Thanks / Like
    ...but a glaze isn`t a compound. It has replenishing oils that are often lost with lack of care and/or compounding. It gives that nice wet look shine back to the finish. However, it`s not really a polish. The swirls you don`t see anymore are more than likely still there. Glazes typically fill in the swirls. This is often used as a final step before waxing (much like you did). You sure as anything did not screw anything up. S100 is a fine topper wax too. The protection is not all that great, but I often use that as a last step when detailing.

Many of us will put a polymer sealant down first, wait a couple days, and then top with a paste wax like S100. As a good rule of thumb, a wax will go on top of a sealant, but a sealant typically does not go on top of a wax.

By the way, welcome to the City! :welcome Have a great time here, and start learning a lot!
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Still Around
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like Nick said, it isn`t a compound. You did nothing wrong with using it.

Glazes are different to each company. I don`t know what 3M has in that product but it might be an abrasive polish meant to remove swirls. Glazes also sometimes have a lot of oil or silicon in them to help hide imperfections. It depends on the company though. You`ll have to read the bottle and pull up the MSDS sheet to see if there are any Abrasives in that product. Or contact 3M.

There are also no oils that need to be replaced in paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used it - after my repaint it was all I could use - perfectly okay to use
    You have activated my special ability....

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    3M PI-III is not a filling glaze....it is an light/medium abrasive glaze designed to remove haze/machine marring left behind after compounding. I used it on a few vehicles last year and it works very well. In fact it`s the only 3m product I kept when I cleaned out my cabinet.

It`s perfectly fine to use on a fairly new factory finish. After all, body shops use it on repaints. The lighter version, 3M PI-III Finishing Glaze, wouldn`t have removed the swirls. That product would have just filled them so going to the Machine Glaze was a good move. Leaves a nice finish, doesn`t it?

My only complaint with the PI-III MG is that a couple times I had some difficulty buffing it off. I`ll attribute that to my lack of experience and probably not working the product long enough and/or using too much or doing too large an area. But it sure did leave behind a nice glossy finish.
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, this forum is fabulous! I love the way you explained the glaze issueto me, very professional indeed, and your nice welcoming to the forum. Thanks again for your great answers, now I feel much better and can go back to sleep once again. BTW, I use S100 shine enhancing polish with the S100 wax every three weeks or so, Am I over doing it? Would it eventually ruin the clear coat if I do it so often? In New York, when the weather is nice and warm I rather detail my truck, my wife thinks I am nuts!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used both 3M PI III and S100 sep recently and think they are both great. The PI III is more aggressive and would probably be great for minor swirls, the S100 sep would be good to follow with because it leaves an incredible slickness to the surface. Very noticable when comparing the two.
    All things can be explained, it`s just that some things are harder to explain than others.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been applying S100 polish by hand, can I use the Porter Cable with it? I have to say, there are spo many products on the market that you can go nuts trying to figure out which one is the best...

Post Thanks / Like
    S100 polish works great with the PC. As a final polish to a finish in good shape, it is about as good as it gets.
    All things can be explained, it`s just that some things are harder to explain than others.

Post Thanks / Like
    As for polishing every 3 weeks, I would hold off on that. However, applying S100 every 3 weeks is a great way to go. If the paint looks good when you want to apply it, do worry about cleaning it.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also think the P21s GEPC (same thing as the s100 SEPC) is an excellent product. It is sooooooooo light that I doubt it could significantly abrade away enough paint or clear to cause any problems, even if used that frequently. Still, every three weeks seems a bit excessive even to me but I certainly do understand the desire to keep the ride looking as good as possible.

As an alternative PB Polish w/carnauba would be a good fit. It has some cleaning ability plus will leave behind a carnauba finish with a strong U.V. screen. It`s basically been my routine every six weeks or so for the last year.

Don`t stress out
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard that Zaino is based in NJ, where do they sell their products. I would like to try them, they have good reviews. I want to find also an address in NY for Poorboys products, I also hear they have excellent stuff. I want to give my truck a sealant treatment before the fall and winter when I start the fight with salt trucks and the snow.

Post Thanks / Like
    3M`s definition of glaze.

Glaze
    A polish that is safe for use on fresh paints. Some glazes contain a mild abrasive that will remove minor surface imperfections. When a glaze with an abrasive is used, it should be followed by application of wax on cured paint or a hand glaze on fresh paint. A glaze also does not contain silicone.

3M PI-III MG is one of my favorite products because MG is easy to use, leaves a clear surface which is ready for wax or sealant and works well with various pads. MG contains micron sized DA`s (you cannot feel if you rub between fingers), very little oil and very little fillers (if any at all).

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect IT III MG Frequency!

For a year old paint, which is in excellent condition, how often would you use Perfect IT III MG, to maintain the wet look on my 4Runner? Also, I want to purchase Poorboys products but can`t find a good online store with excellent prices, what do you recommend? I am inclining more towards Poorboys products because they are from NY, the prices are great and it seems that a lot of guys here are very satisfied with them. The problem is I can`t find this products locally, I`m going to have to visit them at their main location in West Nyack, NY , which can be a long trip.

Thread Information