The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Question UV Protection for a boat interior?

The pontoon boat I was working on this spring turned out great. The problem now, is how to keep it great. Covering it is obviously the answer. Every non-covered pontoon boat I have looked at has cracked vinyl on the seats and carpet that is not in very good shape. Now for my dilemma. The cover goes on after I use the boat for a week-end, no problem, Other members of the family are not that careful. It is not uncommon for the boat to be uncovered for 3 to 5 days at a time. My wife says I can`t hurt anyone, so what do I do?
    Will any vinyl protectant keep it from cracking even with all the sun exposure? Right now, I am using 303, but have no idea if it is doing any good. Will any of the carpet treatments keep the carpet from deteriorating under the same conditions?
    Do I just need to budget for new seats and carpet in the next few years?

Charles

Boss_429
    Charles,

I don`t think there a product that has higher UV protection than 303. So, I would say the 303 on the vinyl is certainly an excellent choice. For the carpet, 303 makes a product called High Tech Fabric Guard that can be used on marine carpeting, and just about any other "fabric" material. It also has UV protection built in.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I see Dwayne carries the 303 Fabric Guard.

Looking for 22% Discount TheCompleteLook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use 303 and it does work great, but it`s water based, so I am wondering how well it will hold up on the boat?
    I have some Vinylex, and was looking at the label - they claim an SPF 60! 303 only claims 40, but whos knows, right? I do know Vinylex leaves kind of a silicon feel, maybe it would work better for the boat?

Just a thought...
    Rob
    www.thecompletelook.net

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boss_429: 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is already in my bag of stuff so I might go ahead and try it.

TheCompleteLook: The SPF rating is something I was not aware of. Looks like another research project coming up. One thing I do like about the 303 is the matte finish and non-greasy feel.

More?

Any and all suggections are appreciated and welcome.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    for carpets we have scotchguard protectant in a spray can. Why isn`t there a UV spray for boats and cars, spraying only UV protectant. Sounds like it could be a good 4-Star or Poorboy`s product.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Thomasfl
    for carpets we have scotchguard protectant in a spray can. Why isn`t there a UV spray for boats and cars, spraying only UV protectant.
    If I`m not mistaken, the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is their answer to Scotchguard.

Charles

Jayhawk fan.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree with the rest, 303 all the way. I love the stuff, I just wish it was less expensive. I cant seem to justify using it on my customers cars most of the time but for my own cars its all I use. It would be perfect for the boat too.

John

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of customer cars, the only other local detailing place uses a HIGH gloss interior dressing. It looks impressive on first sight, but its glossy as heck, plus VERY slippery.

My clients seem to think this is better, but I know its not, how do I convince them otherwise?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Several posts recently have mentioned that 303 washes off in the rain when used outdoors. That`s not too encouraging when planning to use it on the boat. Although it is water based, I don`t think that should be a problem. Lots of paints are water based and they don`t wash off in the rain.
    3M makes a vinyl cleaner and conditioner that they describe as an "outdoor" treatment, specifically mentioning patio furniture. Anyone have any experience with this stuff. 3M seems to have a quality line of products. Maybe I should be looking there.

Sure wish I could find a Boat City forum.:p

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you guys think about 303 Fabric guard (v.s. scotchguard if you have experience with it!)?
    In particular, stain repellency, color fade protection, and frequency of reapplication (your experience, I am aware of what the manufacturer recommends).
    -Rob

Oh and the MSDS on 303 mentions that alkali products are incompatible. Perhaps a good rinse with water to make sure no cleaners are left behind followed by a thorough dry will help minimize run-off.
    Ask a question, be a fool for a minute. Don`t ask a question, be a fool forever.
    -Chinese Proverb

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rhillstr
    Oh and the MSDS on 303 mentions that alkali products are incompatible. Perhaps a good rinse with water to make sure no cleaners are left behind followed by a thorough dry will help minimize run-off.
    Excellent point...thanks for catching that! Makes sense though especially since most of the all purpose cleaners (certianly Megs APC+) are highly alkaline. Even diluting them to manufacturer recommendations still leaves them into the alkaline range.

Hmmm, something to keep in mind. Thanks again for the tip.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rhillstr
    What do you guys think about 303 Fabric guard (v.s. scotchguard if you have experience with it!)?
    In particular, stain repellency, color fade protection, and frequency of reapplication (your experience, I am aware of what the manufacturer recommends).
    -Rob
    Fabric Guard was easy enough to use and has not had any negative effects on the carpet or the upholstery in my van. I also don`t know that it has had any positive effects on the carpet or upholstery. The van is a 1998 with 114,000 miles on it so it does get some use. The interior looks pretty good with no stainining or apparent fading. I have only applied the Fabric Guard once, in October of 2001.
    The reason I can`t give the 303 a lot of credit for preserving the interior is pretty simple. My previous van was 14 years old, had 165,000 miles on it and the interior looked good. It had never had any fabric protection of any type used. I really think if you keep the cloth and carpet vacuumed regularly and clean up any spills immediately, todays interiors will last a looong time.

Charles

Thread Information