Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Swirl marks in black paint...

--this thread was moved over from the "Hi My Name Is" section--
    Let`s see...I just got through posting this in the previous section and now I can`t remember what I wrote. I think I need a drink.
    Oh, yeah, now I remember. So, I have these swirls all in my new black car. They`re visible in the sunlight, but not visible in the shade. At night, they can be seen only in the right lighting. How much damage can I potentially do to the car trying to fix this myself? What is the difference between the PC mentioned earlier (in the "Hi" section) and a plain ol` orbital buffer like the one my girlfriend`s mom bought me for my birthday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blue

I drive a black car and have for the last 3 years. Here is what I do to the car

Start with washing and drying.
    Then with some QD spray use a clay bar to clean the paint.
    I then use my orbital (DeWalt brand) with a cutting pad to polish the car.
    Followed with a swril remover with a finishing pad
    Next I use the 3M hand glaze and then end up with a wax using the orbital with a finishing pad.
    I will post a pic of a truck that I did this on and its a non-garaged truck.

I do not think that there is any difference in your orbital that you have and the PC.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like the car just needs a good detail. The steps that Dave has given you are pretty straight forward. One thing I would change though.

After you clean the paint (Wash & Clay) go to one section of the hood and try a SMR (Megs #9 is very popular, as are the 3M products). If it removes the swirls, jsut do that around the car. If not, you need to go with a heavier polish/compound.

Just trying to save you a little work, if your anything like me, I get lazy around the 2nd coat. But then again, I do all of mine by hand.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m using Ardex as a swril remover and it seems better than the 3M that I was using.

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Beem,
    Thanks for the advice. Just a quick question, though.
    What are and where do you find : QD spray, a clay bar, and a cutting pad?
    Could you tell me where I can get (or perhaps yourself provide) thoroughly detailed instructions on pretty much every step of what you`ve just posted? I feel like a real pain in the ass asking this much, but I`ve always wanted to have a car that looked beautiful, and I`ve always wanted to keep it that way myself. I`m trying to view these swirl marks not as a setback, but as a learning opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, someone mentioned to me in a previous thread that I might try and find someone from this site who lives near me to look at my car and advise me what to do. If there is anyone posting here who lives in the Houston area, I`d be delighted to make the drive and get the opinion of someone who`s not trying to make a buck off me.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can buy QD spray at most all auto part stores. Pep Boys here has a Meg clay bar and QD spray package for about 12 bucks.

OK
    On the bar spray on some QD spray and take the clay flattened out and rub back and forth, you should feel the clay slip easy over the surface after a few movments. I do about a 2 x 2 foot area at a time wiping it off after.
    For the polish I use a megs cutting pad that I know Dwayne has for sale on this site along with the QD Spray and clay.
    The swirl remover that I use is by Ardex and designed for black or dark colored cars. Its a machine product and that`s the only reason I use the orbital.
    3M hand glaze is next all by hand then the wax with the orbital finishing pad.
    Now as a foot note if your car has a heavy amount of swirls I would think cutting pad or more aggressive pad on the swirl remover. I`d ask Dwayne about that if you order from him.
    Its really not that hard its more time consume than anything, but I`m anal about my car and cannot stand to see swirls in the paint

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the quik delivery shine & buy by the gallon, Click on the 3rd item down..QDS....

http://www.prowax.com/glossagent.shtml

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, some people tend to prefer Silicon-free QD sprays. I kenow Megs #34 Final Inspection is silicone-free, and many people have good results with it.

I have also heard about people doing some testing into what kind of cloth to use when doing a QD spray. I personally use a 100% cotton cloth because I have very few microfibre. Apparently, Viper is making a cloth designed just for the "last pass" QD process. Its a very thin cloth, designed for a very clean surface. Its supposed to slide like silk on a clean surface, but an imperfection will feel horrible.

Its worth checking out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Eimann Fabrik Clear Pearl and Meguiars (Detailer) Line Finial Detail It has silicone but works great. So does the Eimann Fabrik I believe it doesnt have silicone.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eimann Fabrik Whores Unite!

Post Thanks / Like
    Beem,
    When you say to polish after using the spray and clay, do you you mean to actually use some 3M Polish, or just "polish", as in the verb?

Shine? That's not a shine Cujo31's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What I use is Poorboy`s SSR followed by the Pro Polish ( or Polish with Carnuba ).

I use these with my Porter Cable which really does the trick. I too have a black truck and this combo topped with EX for me and my customers is the ticket.

I tried 3Ms products and to be honest they were a pita .... but thats just my personal opinion

Cujo
    John ( aka Cujo31 )
    Custom Car Care LLC

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that combo will do a great job and Dwayne should have his SSR`s in a couple days...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Thread Information