Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 11-12-2015

Default B2B Aerosol before wash?

In my opinion, the most painstaking aspect of detailing my vehicles is detailing the plastic and rubber trim. Namely the cowling and weather strips because of their proximity to paint or glass where dressing can easily smear on them. However, with the new B2B Aerosol I just learned about, I was wondering if it would be possible to spray the plastic/rubber trim just before washing the vehicle? I'm hoping this would make overspray irrelevant (as they would be cleaned during the wash) and I could also buff the trim as I dry the vehicle which would save time.
Old 11-12-2015
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: B2B Aerosol before wash?

My experience with the new Back-to-Black aerosol in testing was that any overspray wipes right off. Clean up is much easier than the liquid version.

Based on what I've seen, I think you're better off to apply it AFTER washing and drying. Wiping overspray with a clean towel right after applying it to the trim leaves a clean surface, without any streaking or smearing.

Wiping overspray and buffing the trim while drying the vehicle would be spreading the overspray and excess product all over the paint and glass, which I wouldn't want to do.
Old 11-12-2015

Okay, good to know. Thanks Forrest. I have a spray bottle of B2B and water (prob 1:3) that I've used in the past to spray trim with large surface areas in my previous vehicle. I think my experience with that method I found that I was better off applying B2B per instructions. I've been wanting to suggest to you guys a spray-on application of B2B but I guess it's already been in the works! I want to give the Aerosol version a try but I have plenty of other B2B dressing that I need to use up first (esp. since the aerosol and dressing versions are to be applied the same way).
Old 11-17-2015

It's funny how you get into a set routine with 'working' on the car.

When you're new at it, with a store of new products, it seems almost like a novelty, and you secretly wonder to yourself if the novelty will, umm, you know, wear off, and it'll just go back to being a chore that needs to be done.

However, much to my amazement, it never did become that chore that you wanted to find an excuse not to do, and I've always enjoyed doing the work on my car. I've also found that in this manner, there's always something new you can learn about it.

I mentioned the 'routine' you get into, and I like finding ways to save time on the task, and now I can do the work on the car and keep my little secret that no one ever seems to believe when they see the end result (even if it always looks that good all the time) and comment that it must take me many many hours to get it looking that good for what is now a 14 year old car, and that's my secret. It doesn't take all that time at all.

Having found those time saving things, it cuts the time spent to a fraction of what people believe.

So, with respect to what has been said here in this main Thread by Trac_511, part of that routine is the sequence you do things in.

I always do the wash first, no matter what.

Next comes the trim. When it needs doing with the range of products to select from there's always something available to whatever needs to be done. When I use the liquid Naturally Black products, I always have an extra clean terry towelling face washer, so that if I do get it on the painted surface, then I can wipe it off straight away.

Even if I miss a bit, (and it still happens) then the next step, the paint workup, then the first step, or even just a spray Wax application, then I can get it with that with the microfibre used to wipe the product away. I also have a face washer for any wax which might then get onto the trim, and having been already done, then it comes off easily.

Sometimes, in a more intense work up, I'll even use Protectant as a final application to the now black trim.

Now, all that sounds like a lot of work, but product knowledge is your friend here. Right product for the task, and of most importance, eyes down on the task in hand, and you immediately know if you have one product on the other or vice versa.

It's all sequential, and now having done it for so many years, it all comes naturally.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 11-21-2015

[QUOTE=TonyfromOz;30442]It's funny how you get into a set routine with 'working' on the car.

When you're new at it, with a store of new products, it seems almost like a novelty, and you secretly wonder to yourself if the novelty will, umm, you know, wear off, and it'll just go back to being a chore that needs to be done.

However, much to my amazement, it never did become that chore that you wanted to find an excuse not to do, and I've always enjoyed doing the work on my car. I've also found that in this manner, there's always something new you can learn about it.

I mentioned the 'routine' you get into, and I like finding ways to save time on the task, and now I can do the work on the car and keep my little secret that no one ever seems to believe when they see the end result (even if it always looks that good all the time) and comment that it must take me many many hours to get it looking that good for what is now a 14 year old car, and that's my secret. It doesn't take all that time at all.

Having found those time saving things, it cuts the time spent to a fraction of what people believe.

So, with respect to what has been said here in this main Thread by Trac_511, part of that routine is the sequence you do things in.
[
/QUOTE]

Hi Tony, and thanks for chiming in!

Detailing my car has never felt like a chore. It is a therapeutic hobby that results in a fantastic looking car . The novelty of trying both new and old products has not worn off either, but it is my race against time that requires constant refining of my routine. Because I no longer have the foundation of a completely detailed vehicle and simply maintaining it in frequent and regular intervals, even a minor detailing task can become painstaking because of the condition of surfaces that have not been cared for routinely.

Whereas I had the previous luxury of a routine much like yours, I have to stagger my processes days or weeks apart. For instance, my work up for a full car detail will start with the wheel wells and the wheels themselves. The following week, I wash the rest of the car. The following week, clay or wax (if clay, then wax will definitely have to wait another week). Yet another week, to finally dress up the trim. Such is the case when I have barely half a day to dedicate to a car.

So, I don't think I can quite say my routine comes naturally anymore. Heck, I can't even say I have one anymore! I have the experience, yes, but I'm always welcome to "shortcuts" or products that allow me do most in the few hours that I can dedicate to a car on a given day.
Closed Thread