Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 07-20-2017

Default Bare aluminum body armor on a Jeep

Hi -
I just installed a full set of bare aluminum fenders, door sill protectors, and rocker panel armor seen at this link. I also attached a photo of the armor on the Jeep.

This armor has mostly what I might call a mill finish, with some areas smoother (like the tubing) and some rougher (like the welds). It's not highly polished, but it's pretty smooth. I want to leave it this way and not paint it, since it gets mashed by rocks and I like the look. But I don't want it to oxidize and look awful either.

I'm thinking Mother's Aluminum Polish plus your gold coast spray wax. Will this be a good choice? How often will I have to do each in the salty northeast? Will the polish "smooth" the finish of the aluminum or just prep it for the wax? I'm not trying to make it smoother or more shiny, just want to clean off the fingerprints and any road dirt, then protect it.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6208.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	822.0 KB
ID:	2028  
Old 07-21-2017
Administrator

Default Re: Bare aluminum body armor on a Jeep

Welcome to Wax Forum!

The natural mill finish is annealed on the sheet steal and that look cannot be replicated, so do not use any metal polishes (like our Mag & Aluminum Polish) or it will change that finish.

At some point you may have to use a polish, but you might as well put it off for as long as possible.

Try the California Gold Spray Wax now and regularly, and periodically try the California Gold Synthetic Wax or the California Gold Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax, both of which will do some gentle polishing.

Anything you try that has a polish, even the wax, try it in a small area first to see how it responds.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 07-21-2017

Thanks, that's exactly what I suspected but needed to know.

I'll try the California Gold Spray Wax first as suggested. Curious, does it have any cleaning properties? I just want to make sure I know if I should remove fingerprints, etc. with some other product before I wax -- if that's important.

Thx!
Old 07-21-2017
Administrator

You could also use Speed Spray Wax -- more cleaning properties.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 08-01-2017

That Jeep is just awesome, kept in brilliant condition!! very nice
Closed Thread

Tags
aluminum