Post Thanks / Like
    I`m staying out of this .

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Boss
    I`m sure you`ve heard of Scranton, I live about 30 miles north in Hallstead. The Endless Mountains Region as the tourists call it.

Rtcat

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a small world....rtcat...Boss...Natty you all live within an hour or so of each other
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Poorboy
    What a small world....rtcat...Boss...Natty you all live within an hour or so of each other
    Maybe by Leer Jet :p

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Boss_429
    Poorboy,

Yes, it`s one really "LONG" hour to Natty`s house. Thank godness, as the world is probably a safer place because we aren`t only an hour apart! Besides, if we were, I`d be at his house all the time borrowing his rotary buffer, and/or "car wash assistant" (not in that order).

rtcat,

I go through Hallstead (on 81) just about every week to a client. My uncle use to live in Great Bend. Nice country!

Post Thanks / Like
    It all looks so close on a map

Post Thanks / Like
    What does Natty`s assistant look like????
    Any pics Natty.

I don`t know if you could fill their shoes Boss

Yea it`s a small world Poorboy, but an hour is stretching it a bit!!

Boss_429
    Originally posted by rtcat

I don`t know if you could fill their shoes Boss
    I`m not touching that one. Someone will have to find the link for Natty`s car wash assistant.................. then he`ll understand!

Edit: rtcat, check this thread out, and you`ll know what I mean!

http://www.detailcity.com/showthread...ight=assistant

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yowzers!
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like

1 hour away...

I wish I was 1 hour away from you.... what I`d have saved on shipping, handling,... and so on.

And you could come here to detail at a temperature of 107.6 F we had today and even now (0:55AM) the temp. is 89.6 F.

Of course, as today was a holiday here, I went to the beach with my wife and child.
    Portuguese details detalhe.net

Post Thanks / Like
    All we get is rain, rain and more rain I wish we had a hot day:p ok I`ll settle for a sunny day Am I stretching it if I ask for a nice weekend

I forgot what was the topic..Natty`s assistant ..address...
    where is Natty

Jayhawk fan.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Poorboy, your correct that buying in bulk and wholesale is alot cheaper. I understand that and being budget minded was not my real point to the post. I suppose it could have been taken that way. My point was that I can use soapy water instead of a QD spray and get equal results. I am not suggesting that my whole budget rests on the amount of QD produts I use.

As far as soapy water being a lubricant, well, what exactly IS a lubricant? If you put soapy water on the paint it is very slippery. When I use the clay bar over the soapy water it slips and slides just like I was using a QD. I havent had any trouble doing it this way but if there are high risks in this practice I would like to know what they are. You told me to be carefull, carefull for what? What harm is there in using soapy water?

I realise that I might not understand all the issues and reasons about this so I appreciate your explanation to help me.

Thanks,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    John before your post..i actually was at Wally world doing my favorite thing...reading labels....what makes things lift and move dirt are surfactants, emulsyfiers and a couple others i can`t spell....of all the car wash products on their shelves only Blue Coral listed a surfactant to lubricate....soap is basically a cleaner or lye product, water is an abrasive...that`s how rivers , streams and the Grand Canyon was formed...most car wash soaps either are made to safely remove dirt but not remove wax or they seem to strip everything....if you squirted a bottle of your soap at a vehicle without rubbing it would literally do very little if anything.
    If you do the same with most Waterless washes or QD`s you will see the dirt start moving away from a surface and be wiped away.

Ok picture this..this is the way we were all raised....

Dirty vehicle...rinse dirty vehicle..now wet dirty vehicle..ok
    Now you fill your bucket(s)(that`s for you Boss (s)) and put your sponge or mitts or whatever in the soapy water and what do you do? You drag the dirt back and forth and then rinse...what did you do with the dirt when trying to loosen it from the finish...you rubbed it in at the same time...yes ..hopefully most people on this forum would be extra careful but you`re still rubbing back and forth with dirt in your sponge/mitt and on the surface...

Jayhawk fan.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well the car washing idea is interesting but thats not really what I originally posted about nor what I asked you. I was asking you about using soapy water instead of QD to clay with. The clay was the real point of my original post. A piece of clay is a hard thing anyway that could potentially damage a surface if not used carefully no matter what type of lubricant was used. What harm is there in using soapy water compared to QD when claying?

It seems claying is quite different than washing. The point of claying IS to rub the contaminates with the piece of clay. I have always pictured the clay being sticky enough to pick up the surface contaminates and lift them away from the paint before they were scratched around on the car. My mental consept of this could be wrong, its just the way I pictured it. I suppose the most dangerous part of claying is when the clay gets loaded with junk and you keep rubbing it. I agree that this is potentially a major hazard. That seems to be the most vital moment for the lubricant to come into play.

Even if guy was using a waterless car wash wouldnt he still be wiping the dirt off and rubbing it into the paint? Also I have seen car soap manufacturers say that the soap gently lifts the dirt away and lubricates the surface to prevent damage being done. I do believe though that damage is very common from washing.

Understand that I am not a major clay fanatic. I wasnt suggesting to anybody in the original post that they should clay every car every time. He asked about the subject and I suggested a technique that works for me when I do clay which isnt on every car. I do clay a vehicle occasionally though. I find it removes overspray quite nicely. I also like it for glass that is rough with fallout. I use clay from time to time and when I do the soapy water hasnt seemed to bring about any adverse effects but im open to reasonable input when its offered. I like hearing new thoughts.

I am asking these things out of a true interest in your technique and opinion. I also was wanting to know the specific reasons soapy water was harmfull while claying.

BTW how do you wash your car? With one of your products?

Thanks,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    John

I didn`t really aim at getting into that area either

The first statement I made is that the clay mfgs have tested the clay and its best usage...I believe QD`s especially Waterless Washes and there are a few of them besides mine, have MORE lubrication..that`s all...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information