Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 11-23-2006

Default Working Holiday???

Gentlemen.

Hello again. I've been away for 2 weeks visiting our daughter and family, and I've been off the air for quite a while as access was extremely limited. I got to have a look at the Mothers site as a visitor every 2 or 3 days, so I haven't missed much, other than actually contributing. I did however not rest, and other than helping my daughter with work on her old house, I also did some work on her car, and during that process, learned some things and tried other things out, so I hope you all don't mind if I share some of those things.

I'm going to alter the process somewhat if my friend at Admin does not mind. Instead of actually composing one long thread, I'll try and space it out by doing bits at a time, and then following along with a post to my original thread, and I understand that this might seem like I'm full of my own importance, I'm just trying to break down the parts into manageable sizes, if you all don't mind.

The first actually is quite a hot topic at the moment and came about when I brought up the matter of doing some work on our daughter's car. It also caused me to again tread that philosophical path, something that Bama warned me about.

It would seem that our children reach an age when the thought process really kicks in, and they change, they really change. They think that all those years that we spent raising them were just one long fluke, and that as soon as we reach the age of 40 we have half of our brain surgically removed, and we lose control of the thought process that they have just come into, if you see the point. All I could do was smile.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 11-23-2006

Default Re: Working Holiday???

Part 1.

When I mentioned that I'd like to do some work on her car for her, she thought that meant that I'd give it a quick wash for her, and her car wash product coming from the Company whose logo features an animal with a hard shell, then the wash and wax product and an air dry would make it all nice and shiny again.

When I mentioned that I was going to polish/wax the car, and if needed, run the clay bar over it, I got a sort of dumb look, and then, 'Oh Dad, it doesn't need any of that. I got the paint protection treatment when I first bought the car, and all it needs is a wash, they told me.'

When I explained that the treatment in question might actually be quite good, but might need to be topped up or at least to be looked at again, she seemed actually sanguine that none of what I suggested was really needed at all. Then when she asked what the clay bar was, and I explained it, she became quite concerned that I was actually going to damage the car and ruin the paint protection process.

To allay her fears, I resolved to find out as much as I could about the process used in her case and to see if what I had in mind was going to cause any problems for her.
I asked to use her computer and visited the Hyundai site, but other than listing the process as an extra, there was no other information. I then googled the paint protection scheme she had, but again could find no information of any substance.

I then visited the Hyundai dealers, the parent of the dealer she actually purchased the car from and asked the salesman about the product. He had a sort of blank look on his face, but then led me to the young lady who dealt with this as part of the extras package for the sale of any of the cars in the showroom. She mentioned that there were two paint protection packages, and asked me which one was the one installed onto the car. I said that I really wasn't sure, but that my question was in general. She informed me that the product was such that the car really only needed to be washed every so often, and that polishing was not really needed at all. When I mentioned waxing, sort of like a small subterfuge on my part to see if she really knew what she was on about, she said again that it really didn't need to be polished, as she had just mentioned to me. Continuing, I then asked her if it was safe to use a clay bar to remove any contaminants in the clear coat, she looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language, and said 'Clay bar? Clear Coat?', and right there I knew my head was starting to contact a hard surface repeatedly.
We parted amicably, thankfully a relief on my part, and she probably was thinking, 'what was that idiot on about?'

Next stop was to a local auto detailing firm, and when I drove up in my car, a young woman came out and asked me who did my car, and when I told her I did it myself she asked what I used, and seemed impressed that I got that sort of result doing it myself with Mothers.
I asked her the question, and she called her husband out to join us.
He informed me that the problem lay in whether the paint protection was even installed in the first place, and more often than not, it wasn't, and in the euphoria of picking up a brand new shiny car, paint protection is furthest from the new owners mind, even if they knew what they were looking for in the first place. He also mentioned that it was only really a financial 'add on', added to the total cost bottom line, and only working out at a couple of bucks or so a week extra over the life of the loan repayment, and more often than not, the new buyer will mostly agree to anything at all.
He then told me that nothing I could do with a clay bar, polish or wax would have any effect on that particular paint protection plan, considering it was now nearly 30 months from the original purchase.

With this information in hand, I then had a persuasive chat with our daughter and after the killer blow, she was convinced.
That killer blow was to have her carefully run her hand over a small part of her car's bonnet near the windscreen. I had previously felt the cars paint surface for myself, and it was quite rough all over, and in need of the clay bar. Next I took her to our car and had her feel the similar position, and as opposed to the rough feel of her car, ours was silken to the touch.
She then readily agreed to allow me to do the work on her car.

Next task was the job in itself.

Tony.

Old 11-23-2006

Part 2.

The next part was the assessment, and then the wash.
Incredibly, the paint was in fairly good nick, considering the only attention in a little more than two years was maybe an occasional wash with a foam pad, Turtle Wash and Wax in direct sunlight, and then dry in the air with the help of the hot sun.
There was not one swirl at all anywhere, hardly a single scratch at all, and no evidence of hard water marks or bird bomb etching. The paint even looked relatively shiny, so I felt that any work I might do may indeed lead to less than satisfying results to show at the end. However, the thing that did lead me to think that I could show appreciable results was the fact that the black vinyl (and there was a lot of it, let me tell you) was faded to a dull grey colour, and this, allayed with the fact that you guys told me to try out Mothers Chrome polish on the glass was the thing that made me feel that I could achieve noticeable results.

Next task was to take some photographs, just to prove to our daughter that there was indeed a change and for my own edification as well. Now I know that you guys are a pretty discerning lot, and any before and after photographs are subject to many things that can make the good look good and the bad look bad, lighting being the major one, so even though the before photographs are in some sunlight, and the after ones in shade, this was actually necessary, as there was no place under cover for me to do the work, and I could only do it in the shade of the house.

I thought that the task would take two days, but I completed the whole job in five and a half hours tops, and took the after photographs while the admirers flocked around plying me with beer, and oohing and ahhing.

The wash was accomplished with the aforementioned foam pad and Turtle product, please forgive me my sins Wiz, but our daughter was not going to fork out for two lambswool mitts and a bottle of Mothers, and I knew that the clay bar was coming next, so the wash I accomplished in full disguise so people wouldn't recognise me. It was actually an odd thing to be able to use a hose to wash the car, something verboten in our neck of the woods. I streamed the water off as the last step. and used two towels to completely dry the car off, and ready it for the next step.

Tony.

Old 11-23-2006

Part 3.

Next I started with the Back to Black, and gave all the greying vinyl a good dressing and buffing.
Then I removed the plastic protective covers from the headlights and treated them with Plastic Polish front and back, and then tried for the first time the Chrome Polish recommended by you all. This was impressive I must say, comparing one finished headlight with the other untouched one. Then I did the tail lights with the Chrome Polish, and then all the glass screens and windows. Easy to apply, and easy to buff off, and impressive results all round.
Then I applied a second coat of Back to Black and a further buffing.

Then it was time for the clay bar.
I did the roof and then the bonnet. Meanwhile my eight year old grand daughter had sat on the stairs and was watching me spraying and moving the clay bar around on the upper flat panels.
I moved around to the back of the car and she came up and asked what I was using the pleistoceine for. I told her what it was and she asked if she could try it out.
I mentioned that it was not really something she could do, as this was a job for 'Poppy'.
Undeterred, and with a droopy bottom lip, she persisted asking until I allowed her to try it out. I carefully showed her how to use it and to take care around the edges of the vinyl strips, the glass, and the side panels. I sprayed the Showtime, and she moved the clay bar. I was a little worried that she might drop the bar, but after some reinforcement on how the task would come to an abrupt finish if she did drop the bar, because 'Poppy' wouldn't be able to use it again, that was enough. The bar remained undropped.
Next, she wanted to spray the Showtime as well as rub the clay, and she proved that she could both 'walk and chew gum'. She then proceeded to finish the back of the car, and then bot the remaining sides of the car, while I followed along pointing out minor changes in her method, and cleaning up with the microfibre towel, and 'feel' checking for any missed areas.
She accomplished the complete task in just over a half an hour, remembering that it is really a tiny car, and in that time she became quite adept at the task, and by the finish her technique was the same as for any adult.
So, when Forrest and some others say that they would trust this task to an eight year old, that is not hyperbole, but absolute fact, as I can now attest to.
So, when you guys, and ladies, out there have concerns about the possible damage you may cause, you can have absolutely no concerns, as given supervision, claying is something that any 8 year old can do.

Tony.

Old 11-23-2006

Part 4.

Next task was the polish/wax, and for this I decided to use the task to test another product, this time FX Synwax.
Being a single step product, I used some gentle pressing to apply it to give the cleaners an opportunity to work, and I proceeded in sequence around the car half a panel at a time, and then buffing off with a microfibre towel.
The product was easy to apply, and came off easily as well, also attested to as my grand daughter used the towel, but as this task was not as impressive as the use of the clay bar was, we only got two and a half sections from her before she tired of the task and went off to check out something else.
There was one stage when I had half the bonnet done that I caught a glimpse in the corner of my eye in the changing light. Not believing what I had seen, I stopped and searched for the line of demarkation in the light, finding it and then realising that the colour was coming back ever so slightly in the area completed when compared to the undone area, the cleaned area slightly darker, so that impressed me for my edification only, as I wasn't going to wait for our daughter to get home from work to show her the difference.
The car was duly completed in about an hour and a half give or take, and then it was just a matter of cleaning and checking for anything missed.

My overall impression of FX Synwax is of a product easy to apply, easy to remove, and cleaners that give a positive result, and in a third of the time that the 3 step process takes.

The last task was the plastic wheel covers the tyres and flaps, a quick polish of the glass, and a last buff of the black vinyl areas, and then another final walk around.

Tony.

Old 11-23-2006

Gentlemen.

Sometimes, when the task is completed, the satisfaction of a job well done can be somewhat offset by the car looking basically the same, as the before job is completed and that same before job cannot be parked directly alongside the after job for comparison's sake.

Photographs can sometimes help, but again, that's an esoteric thing.

When our daughter came home, she effused over how the car looked so nice now, almost as good as when it was new, and I went to pains to explain that it now looked even better than when it was new.

The stand out thing was the black vinyl and the glass, thanks to those tips from you guys, and that's really where it stands out.

I've included a couple of photographs taken before and after for those of you who like that sort of thing, but for the real photographs showing the difference, these will be across in Special Care where I have included a before and after the black vinyl trim parts.

Before and after photographs can sometimes be so objective and subjective, so for the sake of getting it right, I hope that you guys will allow me to inject some humour into that brand of before and after photography.

If Mothers can do this for my daughter's car, imagine what it can do for yours.

Tony.

Photograph 1 is the before shot, and photographs 2 and 3 are the after shots.

Attached Images

Old 11-23-2006

Tony

That car looks great, I looks like its in the showroom.

kbshadow
Stockton Ca
Old 11-24-2006

Wow! It doesn't even look like the same car!
Old 11-24-2006

Talking Re: Working Holiday???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyfromOz
"....
please forgive me my sins Wiz, but our daughter was not going to fork out for two lambswool mitts and a bottle of Mothers..."
Your sins are forgiven, my son.

'15 Dodge Challenger SRT - B5 Blue
'17 Dodge Durango R/T - Granite Crystal
Old 11-24-2006

Tony, the car looks great, but more importantly, it appears that you have had a nice time in the process.

I am partial to the FX on yellow. I had a pick-up that shade of yellow, and it looked good with a coat of FX on it.

Good work.
Old 06-01-2007

Hmm... I do have to admit, the FX Synwax on this Vivid Yellow Getz does look neat. Maybe I'll try this too on my own same-colored Getz since I'm using the Carnauba Wax on mine. Maybe do a side-by-side comparo too someday on my ride...

photos from my early detailing days.

3-Step UWS

@Tony - hope you don't mind me sharing this here
Closed Thread