Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 01-11-2006

Default What is the best product?

I just got a new Z06 Corvette in LeMans Blue. I've not washed it yet, but I will this weekend.

I've been using the three phase stuff for a while now on my 2002 camaro SS. It's worked fine.

Now, for the new car I'm not sure which new product to use. FX, reflections, synwax... It'a all new to me.

I am not going to use the three phase since it's new paint. But I do want to try some of the new paint care technology. I'm thinking just the plain wax/cleaner should be enough. What do you guys recommend?
Old 01-11-2006
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: What is the best product?

Great car.

If it were me, I'd:

wash
clay
Reflections Car Wax
Reflections Top Coat

Then I'd go get it dirty by driving it.
Old 01-11-2006

I'm not a big on claying. I think that's okay for removing overspray and rough spots. My paint is smooth as glass.
Old 01-11-2006

Blitz, congrats on the ride. I don't clay very often. I've found if you keep your finish up and don't have a lot of enviromental contaminants that you don't need the clay that often. Of course, that all depends on your finish and environment too. Often if you use the Pre-wax Cleaner (Phase 1), your finish will be smooth as glass and ready for polish and wax.

Both FX and Reflections waxes are very good synthetic waxes. They are super easy to apply and remove and provide good protection. The main difference is the look. FX has a brilliant, high gloss shine but with some depth up close. Reflections has the look of a carnauba - warm, wet, and deep. Between the two, it is just a matter of personal preference. They both contain a mild polish, which essentially combines polishing and waxing into one step.

The Reflections Top Coat is a synthetic/carnauba blend with no polishes or cleaners. It's for the folks who like to top a synthetic wax. It adds protection and some depth.

If it were me, I'd do the following:

1. wash
2. Pre-wax cleaner
3. FX or Reflections - depending on what you are looking for
4. Topcoat - if you want

Good luck.
Old 01-11-2006

Thanks, Bama - if the refelctions is the closer to the standard wax/cleaner, I think I'll try that. Many of my friends use Zanio, but I think it looks way too plastic. I like the standard wax in the can and a little elbow grease. It looks great!

I was reading up on the new Mother's products and just couldn't decide. So reflextions it will be. The LaMans Blue already has a very deep/wet look to it. I had to pay extra for the paint, so I don't want to screw it up.

Check it out: http://www.gmlsxs.org/v/Blitz_001

Thanks again

Ralph
Old 01-11-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz
I'm not a big on claying. I think that's okay for removing overspray and rough spots. My paint is smooth as glass.
I wasn't big on claying either. Bought a bmw 330 cic and thought the paint was slick but tried the clay anyway. You could feel the difference and the reflections went on easy. Good luck. Congrats on the vette. I wanted one but gave in to the wifes wants for a bimmer.
Old 01-11-2006

Ralph, looked at your pics and that is one sweet Vet. I think that Reflections would look good on your car. Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-11-2006

It's funny, Bama, you don't type with accent... LOL!

I'll let you know...

Thanks, guys.
Old 01-11-2006

Quote:
It's funny, Bama, you don't type with accent... LOL!
Yeah, but you ought to hear me talk. I have a nice, deep, South Alabama drawl. However, in my line of work, I have to be able to speak and write using the King's English. Take care.
Old 01-11-2006

Blitz, just to add to what Jerry said.

I have never seen a new car that doesn't need claying. I know it feels smooth, but when you clay it'll re-define what smooth is.

All new cars collect contaminants during storage and transportation. They bond to the new paint and washing won't remove them - only claying.

Clay once, wash, then protect. After this initial deep clean, if you wash and wax regularly, you shouldn't need to clay for another 12 months.

"The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart
Old 01-12-2006

Quote:

I was reading up on the new Mother's products and just couldn't decide. So reflextions it will be. The LaMans Blue already has a very deep/wet look to it. I had to pay extra for the paint, so I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks again

Ralph

Dam_! That is one FINE looking automobile. A phenomenal color.

That deserves a nod and a tip 'o the hat, my friend! I am awed just to gaze upon it. Seriously -- a really beautiful car -- a work of art on wheels. Well done!

"I'm not worthy" - Wayne's World
Old 01-12-2006

Thumbs up Re: What is the best product?

Quote:
Thanks, Bama - if the refelctions is the closer to the standard wax/cleaner, I think I'll try that. Many of my friends use Zanio, but I think it looks way too plastic. I like the standard wax in the can and a little elbow grease. It looks great!

Thanks again

Ralph

Blitz, Great Car!! Great color. Definitely worth the extra coin. By the way, the Corvette (in Z06 trim) gets a very favorable write-up in Hemming's Muscle Machine magazine this month. And ... their test car is LeMans Blue.

I use the Reflections and Top Coat on my '05 Midnight Blue Metallic GTO and am very happy with the results. I also had been a Mothers 3 phase user on my previous cars and love the ease of use of the new Reflections line.

Rollin

'15 Dodge Challenger SRT - B5 Blue
'17 Dodge Durango R/T - Granite Crystal
Old 01-12-2006

Thanks for the nice words, guys.

I'm not going to use clay. It's too hard on the paint and if you miss with the lube, you can surface scratch the car. I know, I did it on my camaro. Besides, it will look fine without a clay rub. There is not that much dirts on new paint. The prewax cleaner and then the wax will do the trick for me.
Closed Thread