Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 06-28-2007

Default Microfiber Cleaning Issue

I love microfiber towels. Who doesn't? They absorb water well during drying and make buffing a breeze. Even when faced with the challenge of putting on too much wax on an area, buffing it is still as easy as cleaning the table after you eat. I have one problem with it though, effective clean up of the towel itself.

When I first bought my microfiber towel, everything was going great. Like I said, buffing was a breeze and it didn't scratch the surface. I washed my MF with lukewarm water (maybe a little on the cold side, just a bit) and bath soap, not applying harsh detergents because I wanted to prolong its life.

Time went by and all was great until I was tasked to detail a black car. It was a challenge for me since one, black on a car is the most sensitive of colors to detail and two, it was to be prepared for a show.

The polishing was great. I completely removed all the swirl marks on the surface. The results were amazing, it was a mirror on wheels. I applied the Sealer and Glaze then after started to put on the California Gold Pure Carnauba paste wax.

During the waxing stage, I made and effort to keep the applicator perfectly clean. I washed it after waxing every two panels. I buffed lightly, leaving the parts where I put on too much wax.

Then it happened...

I got my makeshift fluorescent lamp rig that I have in my garage so that I can see everything clearly. I then started to buff the excess wax residue using medium to heavy pressure. As I lifted the towel, the wax was gone but (Oh my GOD) there were swirl marks and they were created by the microfiber towel.

My analysis is this: While MF towels absorb things well, they're also great at keeping things there. I looked closely at my towel and saw some residue stuck on my towel. I tried getting them out but the fibers went with it as well. I assume that the residues on the towel created the swirl marks.

My question is this: How do I effectively clean my microfiber towel, completely removing all the hardened residue (may it be wax or what not) while still prolonging its life? What soap should I use? How warm should the water be? Should I leave it submerged overnight in a soap-water mixture? I'd like to put emphasis on two things; effective cleaning and extended life.

Thank you very much.

I wish I could just detail everyday.

Last edited by grabby; 06-28-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-28-2007
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: Microfiber Cleaning Issue

I don't think bath soap is strong enough, and a hand wash sufficient.

I use the washing machine with hot or warm water, and a second rinse.

Many folks use vinegar in addition, to help remove the residue from the towels. There are some companies that offer microfiber rejuvenating liquids - they may be worth a try.
Old 06-28-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest T. View Post
I don't think bath soap is strong enough, and a hand wash sufficient.

I use the washing machine with hot or warm water, and a second rinse.

Many folks use vinegar in addition, to help remove the residue from the towels. There are some companies that offer microfiber rejuvenating liquids - they may be worth a try.

Griots makes a micro fiber cleaner.
Old 06-28-2007
Administrator

I remember my first microfiber towel... that's when I ran into Forrest in a dark alley, smoking a big ol' stogie... and he says "Hey, kid... come here... I've got something you might be interested in."

I tried one, and was hooked. A microfiber junkie. (And I'm not giving-up the habit).

We've been using them at the shop for years, and I think in my personal collection I've got just as many.

Forrest also told me that white vinegar is good either with the wash or on a second rinse. The special wash is available from detailer supplies that sell towels as well, but I'm cheap, and I've heard others say the same thing online (some don't). To each his own. I use cheap house-brand liquid laundry detergent and buy a quart of vinegar for about a buck, though I do get the color-safe Clorox non-chlorine bleach.

What we call a warm wash here (mine's hovering around 90 degrees F, but I think the acceptable range is about 86-104F or 30-40C) should be sufficient. If it's too hot, you risk damaging the fibers. It depends on the towel. Most like warm. I've currently got a top-load washer (the ones they're going to be outlawing soon because they waste water).

When I detail a car, my really dirty towels get washed on their own cycle in the washing machine, or at least get pre-soaked in a bucket of degreaser solution and rinsed before going into the general population.

I use liquid detergent and add color-safe bleach and/or spot treat the prominent stains on the nicer towels.

If you've loaded-up a towel with product and let it dry crusty, soaking is your best friend.

I'm a firm believer of tumble drying. Medium or low settings. I feel it helps fluff as well as blow loose product out of the system. I use those little fabric softener balls that tumble in the dryer. No softener, just a good tumbling with those things.

ALWAYS inspect your towels -- they pick up stuff like Velcro, so I lay them out and do a visual and a quick wipe with my hand on both sides before folding.

My grandma used to say I'd make some lucky girl a good husband.
Old 06-28-2007

Quote:
... white vinegar is good either with the wash or on a second rinse.
I'll try this tip soon. Thanks.

Quote:
ALWAYS inspect your towels -- they pick up stuff like Velcro, so I lay them out and do a visual and a quick wipe with my hand on both sides before folding.
I agree.
Old 06-28-2007

Gentlemen.

This is an excellent Thread, and an excellent post in response from our friend at Admin. You read in so many places about how to care for microfibre, and in this one post from Admin, the whole thing is completely encapsulated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
I use liquid detergent and add color-safe bleach and/or spot treat the prominent stains on the nicer towels.

If you've loaded-up a towel with product and let it dry crusty, soaking is your best friend.

I'm a firm believer of tumble drying. Medium or low settings. I feel it helps fluff as well as blow loose product out of the system. I use those little fabric softener balls that tumble in the dryer. No softener, just a good tumbling with those things.

Here is the lesson I learned. I thought that washing by hand would be better because you can give it more care, and with hand soap also. I can see that mechanical washing can be better because it lasts longer and 'works' the towel more, and the use of a liquid laundry detergent would also be better because it is stronger.
I also see the advantages of tumble drying on warm, for the 'fluffing' purpose.

I saw those soft plastic clothes dryer balls a year or so back, and only recently purchased a pair of them for use here at home. I can see the 'science' behind them for the drying process, but I am yet to convince my good lady wife that the clunking noise from the dryer is not actually harming the clothes, but separating them to allow the air to flow more evenly around them.

One question for Admin. The 2 of these balls I do have are soft(ish) plastic, and about the size of a baseball, and covered in rounded spiky knobs. Are these similar to the ones you mentioned? I've enclosed a photograph, and the only reason I included the 'red' bottle was for an indication as to the size of the balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
I've currently got a top-load washer (the ones they're going to be outlawing soon because they waste water).

One small observation on this comment. They say that top loaders waste more water, and we need to be looking after the environment by not using as much water.
True.
Now, why is it that the front loaders they are replacing these 'old' top loaders with cost twice as much?

One last observation.
Forrest in a dark alley with a stogie. I'd pay money to see that.

Tony.

PS. This whole Post from Admin. One for all of us to save to hard drive and maybe even print out.
Attached Images

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 06-28-2007

Before anything, I would really like to thank admin for a very comprehensive reply to my situation. It was very informative. I'm going to try everything you told me, literally. Thank you.

Yet, before I actually do anything, I have a "few" more questions to ask about your post. Of course, it's better to get into things with all the information that you need so that errors are minimized.

So here it goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Forrest also told me that white vinegar is good either with the wash or on a second rinse. The special wash is available from detailer supplies that sell towels as well, but I'm cheap, and I've heard others say the same thing online (some don't). To each his own. I use cheap house-brand liquid laundry detergent and buy a quart of vinegar for about a buck, though I do get the color-safe Clorox non-chlorine bleach.
Should there be a water-vinegar mixture when I do this or just pure vinegar? If so, what ratio should I use?

Quote:
What we call a warm wash here (mine's hovering around 90 degrees F, but I think the acceptable range is about 86-104F or 30-40C) should be sufficient. If it's too hot, you risk damaging the fibers. It depends on the towel. Most like warm. I've currently got a top-load washer (the ones they're going to be outlawing soon because they waste water).
Oh man, I tried submerging it for three minutes or so with water from the kettle after it stopped boiling. Thanks for this tip. Now I know what to avoid.

Quote:

When I detail a car, my really dirty towels get washed on their own cycle in the washing machine, or at least get pre-soaked in a bucket of degreaser solution and rinsed before going into the general population.
Great tip! What water-degreaser ratio should I use? I have a bottle of citrus degreaser here. Will that work? How long should I soak the towel and is there an ideal water temperature for the cleaning to be maximized without damaging the towel?

Quote:

Can you explain spot treating further? Do you just use the bleach or a mix of bleach and detergent? Do you spray it on or do you wet it? How long should I let the product "work" on the towel before rinsing to be effective?

Quote:

May sound like a stupid question but soak it with what? A detergent-water solution or the water-degreaser solution? What ratio?

Quote:
My grandma used to say I'd make some lucky girl a good husband.
I wish my grandma told me that! Haha.

I wish I could just detail everyday.

Closed Thread

Tags
microfiber, towel cleaning