Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 08-01-2005

Default Problems with Reflections spray wax.

Well, I was one of the biggest critics in the application method of reflections spray wax when Mothers introduced the new line (not trying it yet). However, I realized later that for my style of using spray waxes or quick detailers (2 towels, one to spread and one to dry) the process of applying and letting it haze would be even faster as I wouls use towel one for all the car, then use towel 2 instead of switching back and forth.

Being a huge fan of Mothers and quite impressed by reflections 2005, top coat and tire care I decided to try the spray wax. Unfortunately, either I am doing something worng or this one is not worthy of carrying the badge "reflections".

I use it on a dry surface right after I wash and dry. Surface is not hot. I spary it at aprox 20 cm form the surface (8 inches) then spread with a terry applicator. Let it "haze" and then ATTEMPT to remove. I noticed the prodcut is very thick, way thicker than FX spray wax. Another one that threw me off is the chemical distiles smell, stark constarts with the rest of the reflections line (even he tire care smells great). These 2 are not a factor IF the product performed OK or was easy to use.

Well, after applying and trying to spread the product doesn't spread easy, as it tends to "bead" (maybe because of previous wax) After it dries, removing it is almost impossible. Not even Collinite 476S gives you this workout. I tried changinf form terry applicator to microfiber, no change. I also tried spreading it to the applicator instead. The wax dries hard in some spots, almost like it baked and removing it is tough.

What am I doing wrong?

Alex
Old 08-01-2005

Default Re: Problems with Reflections spray wax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRuiz
Well, I
the applicator instead. The wax dries hard in some spots, almost like it baked and removing it is tough.

What am I doing wrong?

Alex
Alex

I just did my PU with Reflections, its over a hundred here and it turned out fine.

That being said its much harder to use than F/
x spray wax.

I found several things help when using it.

First The thinner you apply it the better. easier it is to apply and remove.

I also found that the spray bottle is difficult to use, if you don't squeeze hard and fast the wax comes out in a glob, and it to thick on the car, but if you squeeze it fast the wax comes out as a spray and it seems to work very well ez to apply and remove.

Seems to give a very deep look to the paint and you feel like it provides more protection than The F/X but don't know it protects it better or not.

I am going to go back to the F/X, its quick, ez and leaves a great finish and water beading on the paint.

FWIW F/x spray wax works really well on chrome and on my clear coat wheels, cleans the break dust and puts a nice clean shine on them.

hope this helps.

kbshadow
Stockton Ca

Old 08-01-2005

I've only used Reflections Spray Wax a couple of times, but I like it...

I, too, found that you really need to shake the bottle to get the contents mixed-up... especially when it is new. I think they tend to over-fill the bottles (which is good).

I prefer to spray directly on my microfiber towel so I don't get wax overspray on the glass or trim... I think I can also better control the application of the product.

I like that I can add a layer of wax without getting out my polisher and when I don't really have the time to spend... especially lately when it's been a little warmer than usual and I don't have the energy to work out in the hot (relatively, in the '80s) sun.
Old 08-02-2005
Mothers® Polish

Alex - try spraying it on a folded mf towel and wiping it on the surface.

Then, let it dry and buff it off.
Old 08-02-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest T.
Alex - try spraying it on a folded mf towel and wiping it on the surface.

Then, let it dry and buff it off.
I already tried. It is still a bear to remove. Judging by how easy reflections advanced car wax is to remove, I expected the spray wax to be at least similar..... I didn't want spray-on blitz

How much per panel?
How long to let it sit?
What kind of slickness should I expect?
What environment conditions are the best?
Old 08-02-2005

alex

Forrest will give you a better answer than me but I have good luck with Reflections spray on wax so here goes.

It was over a hundred in my garage when I used it, I sprayed it on very very lite and rubbed it in with microfiber, wiped it off in about 5 minutes with micro fiber, it wiped right right off.

It was very, very slick after I wiped it off and the water beaded so well it ran off the car in big drops.

Attaching a photo taken in my garage with no sunlight and you can see how Smooth it came out. I also put a few drops of water on the hood so you can see how well the water beaded.

hope this helps

kbshadow
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2005

UPDATE: Well, I tried again, and guess what. It works, and works very nice!! So, what was the trick?

This time, I gave the bottle extra shakes (30 seconds of vigorous shake) prior to aplication. Then, when I started spraying I noticed immediately this time is was properly mixed. The previous time it looked more like a clearer thick liquid with white particles in suspension, this time it looked like a thick white liquid, almost like a paste.

Application was very easy and fast. Spreads very nicely. Removal was very easy (still not as easy as reflections though) Ah, and the results. The looks it leaves is incredible, as good as top coat. Slickness increase is noticeable, and gets slicker 24 hours after (like a sealant) Very nice, and I am happy it is working now

Summary: Very nice product, and maybe the best spray wax in the market but still short in talents from its siblings. Looks excelent, but to be a worthy sibling of top coat it needs to smell better and remove easier. Excellent looks and overall a very good product, but after what reflections advanced car wax, top coat and tire care deliver; the spray wax needs a tweaking to be in the same class.

Make sure the "SHAKE WELL" in the bottle is written in a bigger font

Alex
Old 08-22-2005
Administrator

AlexRuiz,

Glad you're getting good results now. I'll send your comments to the Chemist.

On a side note, our Chemist instructs manufacturing to overfill the bottles to ensure everyone gets what they're paying for, but you're not the only one who has noticed a side effect is that there isn't much room to shake.

Anyways, I'll mention to the art department that we need a bigger font.
Old 08-23-2005

Good to hear it finally worked for you...you had me worried there for a bit.

I haven't had the pleasure of trying it yet so its good to know it needs to be shaken well.

"The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart
Old 08-24-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
Good to hear it finally worked for you...you had me worried there for a bit.

I haven't had the pleasure of trying it yet so its good to know it needs to be shaken well.
I was having a hard time figuring out how it could be so different in removal effort to reflections advanced car wax (arguably the product with the easiest removal in the market, boutique or not)

Shake well really means it. I look forward for version 2 of this one. Easier removal is a desirable feature (a hard sell to convince users that spray wax is the "fast approach" if your regular wax is easier to remove....) However, better smell is a MUST. If the product for TIRES smell so good, why not the spray wax. As a matter of fact, I think I like the tire care smell even more than top coat. The smell of spray wax is uninspiring.
Old 08-26-2005

Smile Re: Problems with Reflections spray wax.

I finally used my Reflections Spray Wax this morning on my GTO.

Thank you for your posts so I knew to shake the daylights out of the bottle before I started.

I also took Forrest's advice and quickly decided that spraying onto a folded micorfiber towel is MUCH better than spraying directly onto the car's surface.

The results were outstanding! The car had Reflections and Top Coat applied about 3 weeks ago and the Spray Wax seemed to add a little extra depth, shine, and - reflection!

I didn't find the smell offensive at all. True, it doesn't smell as good as California Gold Car Wash or California Gold Carnauba (Phase 3). Reflections Spray Wax really didn't seem to have any real aroma .... but, then, I don't really care for the "cheap men's cologne" smell of Reflections Car Wax.

'15 Dodge Challenger SRT - B5 Blue
'17 Dodge Durango R/T - Granite Crystal
Old 10-14-2005

Used the Reflections spray wax today and it is a pain to get it to spray properly out of the bottle. I did what all said and the Reflections seemed way to thick to even be a spray wax.
Once on the car it was easy to get off and the shine is really nice.

I think you guys should re-think the thickness on this one as I used your FX spray wax and dispersal was top notch.
Note: In fairness it has been a little cold here lately so next time I use it I will bring it into the house and warm it up and maybe take it to "Home Depot" and put it on the paint shaker machine for a minute. lol (Joking)
Old 01-12-2006

Default Re: Problems with Reflections spray wax./Suggetsions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfong
Used the Reflections spray wax today and it is a pain to get it to spray properly out of the bottle. I did what all said and the Reflections seemed way to thick to even be a spray wax. Once on the car it was easy to get off and the shine is really nice.

I think you guys should re-think the thickness on this one as I used your FX spray wax and dispersal was top notch. Note: In fairness it has been a little cold here lately so next time I use it I will bring it into the house and warm it up and maybe take it to "Home Depot" and put it on the paint shaker machine for a minute. lol (Joking)
I think that several of the Reflections Spray Wax users are on to something.

One member here remarked how they had no problem using Reflections Spray Wax on a HOT day when the temperature was 100 degrees. The gentlemen above remarked that he was having trouble on a COLD day, and suggested maybe by warming it up, the product might flow better. These might represent two extremes on either side of the thermometer. The product seems to work better when warm than when cold. That suggests VISCOSITY issues, in addition to the "shake really well" admonition.

Viscosity (thickness) and temperature frequently go together with either good or bad consequences -- think of "molasses in January" (slow to pour, or won't pour) or, Mobil 1 multi-weight motor oil, such as 5W30 -- an oil that flows in frigid cold winter weather and protects in hot, summer weather.

Viscosity must be engineered if proper flow and spread characteristics are desired.
It could be that Reflections Spray Wax needs to be reformulated, with temperature and viscosity revisited and shaking methods/instructions improved.

If your plant wants to continue to overfill, perhaps they could add one or two "agitator marbles" into the bottle ... like you hear in an aerosol can of spray paint, as you shake it prior to use. Seeing as this wax is marketed as a "Spray" product, this suggestion really isn't radical at all. Also, maybe a larger diameter spray tip aperture (hole) to accomodate a more viscous product. Hope you'll pass along the suggestion, Forrest.

Last edited by Legendman; 01-12-2006 at 02:29 AM.
Old 01-12-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendman
I think that several of the Reflections Spray Wax users are on to something.

One member here remarked how they had no problem using Reflections Spray Wax on a HOT day when the temperature was 100 degrees. The gentlemen above remarked that he was having trouble on a COLD day, and suggested maybe by warming it up, the product might flow better. These might represent two extremes on either side of the thermometer. The product seems to work better when warm than when cold. That suggests VISCOSITY issues, in addition to the "shake really well" admonition.

Forrest.

After reading this I put mine in the microwave and heated it up to 112 degrees.

I worked better, did not come out in a blob but still did not come out in a full spray.

With a light trigger pull it came out like a squirt gun in a narrow stream.
With a hard trigger pull it came out in a narrow spray but so strong it splattered all over the windows, trim ect.

I may try thinning it down some and trying that.

kbshadow
stockton Ca
Old 01-12-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbshadow
After reading this I put mine in the microwave and heated it up to 112 degrees.

I worked better, did not come out in a blob but still did not come out in a full spray.With a light trigger pull it came out like a squirt gun in a narrow stream. With a hard trigger pull it came out in a narrow spray but so strong it splattered all over the windows, trim ect.I may try thinning it down some and trying that.

kbshadow
stockton Ca

Interesting. I think that a better nozzle tip/aperature would help.

I doubt that Mother's formulated the product to be used in temperatures over 105 degrees. It is common for manufacturers to dictate the ideal temperature range for product application - perhaps 50 to 75 degrees.

I would caution anyone else against putting this product in a microwave oven, lest the bottle explode and expose one to scalding fluids.

Last edited by Legendman; 01-12-2006 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendman
Interesting. I think that a better nozzle tip/aperature would help

I for product application - perhaps 55 to 80 degrees.

What would you thin it with?
My garage gets to 115 degrees a lot of the summer and the detailing products seem to work very well at that temp.

Maybe I'll try some Showtime to thin it with, I use that as a lube with Mothers pure Carnuba and it works very well.

kbshadow
Stockton Ca
Old 01-12-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbshadow
My garage gets to 115 degrees a lot of the summer and the detailing products seem to work very well at that temp.

Maybe I'll try some Showtime to thin it with, I use that as a lube with Mothers pure Carnuba and it works very well.

kbshadow
Stockton Ca
Something has to be done as it is a mess when spraying. Last time I used it I threw the nozzle as it did exactl;y what it did every other time I use it. Madde a mess and actually bounced off the paint and hit the windows and the grass. Seriously.

I like how it works but man this stuff is so thick.
Closed Thread