Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 02-23-2010

Talking Satin Paint Care

Hi, this is my first post so please be gentle

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado with a two tone paint scheme. The top is a Toyota blue pearl and the bottom is the factory white, but they are both painted in a satin finish - base/clear. I haven't found much info about satin paint care and I'd like your recommendations please.

Thank you for your time and here's my truck -

Old 02-23-2010
Administrator

Default Re: Satin Paint Care

Welcome to Wax Forum!

Nice truck!

You might want to consult with your painter, but generally you would avoid any product with traditional polishes, as those could affect the satin finish -- basically, polish it smooth over time and that isn't what you would want.

Certainly you could use Showtime Instant Detailer after every wash, and that would be fine if it's simply a show truck. If you're driving her, you'd want to protect the finish so try one of our spray waxes or even FX SynWax -- they don't contain any traditional mechanical polishes, nor anything that will leave a chalky residue. Test on part of a panel over the period of a few days of normal weather and inspect as it ages. If you don't like what it's doing, remove with an isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber towel.

If you do clay, tread lightly, but you should be fine.

Until the paint itself is cured, or unless you hear otherwise from the painter, you'd want to wait 90 days before using any synthetic wax -- washing and Showtime Instant Detailer would be fine, but avoid the wax so as to not inhibit the curing process.
Old 02-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Welcome to Wax Forum!

Nice truck!

You might want to consult with your painter, but generally you would avoid any product with traditional polishes, as those could affect the satin finish -- basically, polish it smooth over time and that isn't what you would want.

Certainly you could use Showtime Instant Detailer after every wash, and that would be fine if it's simply a show truck. If you're driving her, you'd want to protect the finish so try one of our spray waxes or even FX SynWax -- they don't contain any traditional mechanical polishes, nor anything that will leave a chalky residue. Test on part of a panel over the period of a few days of normal weather and inspect as it ages. If you don't like what it's doing, remove with an isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber towel.

If you do clay, tread lightly, but you should be fine.

Until the paint itself is cured, or unless you hear otherwise from the painter, you'd want to wait 90 days before using any synthetic wax -- washing and Showtime Instant Detailer would be fine, but avoid the wax so as to not inhibit the curing process.
Sorry, I forgot to include that it's my daily driver - not a show truck. I work in a bodyshop, in the structural side of things and am coming up on the 90 day mark, so I thought I'd get a plan of attack in place.

So the Showtime Instant Detailer would be used after washing, between wax applications?

And since she's a daily cruiser a spray wax or FX SynWax will protector her? How often do I need to wax and do I need to remove previous waxings before applying new waxings (like if I waxed today, several months from now I needed to re-apply would I have to remove the old, before applying the new) And when do you know it's time to re-apply,are there signs I should be looking for?

Sorry for all the questions but, this is my first custom paint job and I want to make it last.

Thank you very much for your help!!!

*edit*
One other thing - I plan on having some pinstriping done in the near future, which would be an enamel like One-Shot. Would that be an issue with waxing, etc?
Old 02-23-2010
Administrator

We generally recommend Showtime Instant Detailer on flat finishes, because it's very thin and can be easily spread -- and any "mistake" you make will be short-lived. Wax on flat just doesn't fly.

So sure, Showtime after a wash and whenever it needs it.

Since there are different levels of satin, I'm just suggesting you experiment a little with say FX Spray Wax -- you may like the look just fine, and it will offer more protection than Showtime, as it is thicker, but still leaves no residue. On a glossy car, we recommend Spray Wax as a final step of drying, and sometimes alternate with Showtime in between.

Again, that would be after every wash and as needed.

And only because I see a fair amount of gloss in your finish would I suggest FX SynWax -- again, try it in a test area and see. If you like the way FX SynWax works, use it every 6-10 or 8-12 weeks or so, depending on weather exposure.

On the pinstriping, any of the aforementioned products would be just fine with pinstriping, as they are all non-abrasive.

All products are available at Pep Boys.
Closed Thread

Tags
custom, flat, satin, two tone