Post Thanks / Like

Looking for opinions on detailing plan....

OK, just picked up my wife`s new car over the weekend.......the color is Anthracite Metallic (aka dark grey).

Im now looking into my detailing regiment again, because I think it might have to be a little different than Im used to, because my current car is silver, so not too dark. This is what I have planned:

1. Wash - Sonax Glass car wash (except for the first time I want to wax it..........I`ll use Dawn that time)

2. Some sort of pre-wax cleaner.........any suggestions?

3. Swirl removal/polish - 3M Imperial Hand Glaze (possibly 2 or 3 coats of this?)

4. Wax - One Grand Blitz wax

Everything would be applied and removed by hand using terry cloth foam pad applicators to apply and either flannel polishing cloths or the correct microfiber cloth to remove.

I know it doesnt subscribe to the normal "UPP" setup..........I happen to have these products already, but if I could be convinced UPP would turn out better, I probably wouldnt hesitate to spend the money (I love my cars!!!)

Thanks in advance!!!
    -Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good ...

Is this a new car (as opposed to a new used car)?

If new, you probably will not have much in the way of swirls, if you do take it back!

If used, I would throw a clay and wash step in between the wash and swirl removal.

With regards to cleaners, I have used the Platinum Cleaner, the Klasse cleaner and Meg`s cleaner. Of the three, I would have to say I prefer to Klasse on dark colored cars.

I would recommend, very heavily, using microfiber cloths. I just switched and cannot express in words the difference it has made in my results and efficiency.

I think the wax you have chosen is a good choice. If you live in a very hot climate, you might choose a synthetic sealant as they tend to have a higher thermal breakdown temperature and in general last longer.

Shameless Plug: I have used UPP and am VERY pleased with it on dark and light color cars. My customers have expressed they notice that the car looks "clean" even when dirty and they are easier to clean. Your mileage may vary.

Regardless, you are on the right path and there is nothing to be lost (aside from time and elbow grease) to try what you have and try other things as you desire or time permits.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick response!!!

Yes, this is a new car.........and yes, I have no swirl marks But Im quite interested in keeping it that way, so I didnt want to risk it with the wrong set of products.

As far as cleaners go, since Im "open" at this point, I think Ill dive in with the Platinum stuff. Ive seen enough stuff floating around the internet (not just here!!!) that shows people loving it, so I wouldnt mind jumping on board.

I plan to use my "old" 2000 Accord as the springboard to the new car, so I can see how much difference and product changes make (I usually use Meguiars clear-coat scrub, but boy is that getting tough to do the whole car with...............its pretty hard to get a lot of stuff off, so Im looking for a better alternative).

As far as sealant, would I apply that over the wax (as long as its a Carnuba wax)? I assume so, just wanted to be sure. Im not in a year-round very hot climate, but if summer ever shows up here (in CT...........the northeast still hasnt really seen spring yet!!!) it could get decently hot for a decent amount of time.

Thanks again!!!
    -Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Welp ....

Chris,

For a new car (read: right off the lot) I would hesitate to run the swirl remover on the car. The risk is that you might introduce some scratches and swirls if you accidentally get some dirt on the pad or the product dries on you. I am fully of the belief "if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it".

You would not want to put the UPP down on top of a carnuba based wax as it will prevent the bonding of UPP.

With regards to getting them nice and clean, I start with a good wash and then a detailed pass with a clay bar, with a little elbow grease, there has been very little I could not remove with this. Tear off a piece to use on the car, go over the whole car, turning and working the clay often. If you are hearing or feeling anything like a scratch, turn the clay inside out, you do not want to scratch with anything the cly picked up. Once done with the car, toss the clay as you do not want to introduce the contaminants to another car and risk scratching with dirt, etc.

For a new car .. here is what I would do ...

1) Wash
    2) Spot clay for any rail dust or other contaminants
    3) One more quick wash
    4) Get the car nice and dry
    5) Use Klasse All In One (AIO) or Platinum Ultimate Paint Cleaner Remove with a MF
    6) Go over the car one more time and get water out of any cracks
    7) Put a layer of Platinum Ultimate Paint Protectant on the entier car
    8) Wait at least 1 hour (let it cure out) Have a few beers to pass the time
    9) Remove the UPP using a MF
    10) Follow up with a pass with a Quick Detailer (I use Platinum Gloss Enhancer when I have put down UPP)
    11) Wait over night ... and repeat step 9 again.

Optional: Follow on top of the UPP with PoorBoys EX (I have not treid but others have had some nice success, only draw back is that you will not be able to layer anymore UPP)

This is how "I" have done new cars for my regular customers when they bring in a new car (just recently though with UPP)

All the products I mentioned are available at the host store and many other reputable online and local retailers, but to be honest, you can`t go wrong with Dwayne at 4 Star. (Another shameless plug)

Look for more advice, but you are on the definite right track! Get a good coat of wax on right away to make your life easier down the road.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    i`d skip the dawn wash if you are going to clay the car or use a pre-cleaner. i`d also skip the hand glaze and just use a good pre-cleaner followed by wax or sealant. multiple coats of imperial hand glaze would be a lot of work for such little return and possibly cause bonding problems with whatever product you may use. if you want to stay swirl free, get a decent wash mit, m.f. towels and try to focus on appearance products that have no abrasives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a good "quick reference" for what type of Microfiber towels to use for what applications?

I keep seeing plenty of different weaves, brands, prices, etc. but I dont know which ones to get and what to use them for.

I think Ill be getting the Platinum starter kit, so I should have the towels to use for the UPP, but I dont know what to use for the AIO, and what to use to dry my car.

Sorry for asking so many questions!! I want to get a good start with the new car (I dont know what the dealer used, but its still on there after 3 days the attached bugs on my front bumper literally fell off with a flick of my finger).

Thanks!!!
    -Chris

Thread Information