Post Thanks / Like

Let`s straighten out this clay thing!

I was reading the TOL website and they said you can get 20 applications out of a clay bar. I know many people divide the clay bar into fourths if they are doing a whole car and I assume they throw it out after. I have used much smaller pieces when I just needed to do the hood or whatever. Obviously, if TOL talks about 20 applications, they must recommend reusing the clay. Does anyone actually reuse it, or does everyone here throw it out after each use? I submitted this question to TOL and I will post their reply when I get it. I personally would not reuse clay unless it were obvious that there were practically no contaminants on it after using it on very clean paint prior to polishing.

Boss_429
    ACE,

I tend to agree with you on this one, as I don`t believe in the over use of a clay bar. On the other side of the coin, the TOL clay bar is an 8 ounce bar which is huge compared to the ones you find in most kits. Cutting that one into quarters would certainly get you through a few vehicles, that`s for sure. I suppose it also depends on the size of the vehicle, and condition of the vehicles you`re claying to begin with. Claying my SuperCrew is like doing two mid-sized vehicles!

Anyhow, after I`ve used a piece to clay paint, I usually relegate it to removing bugs from chrome, claying headlight lenses, or even the windshield if it`s in pretty good shape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are TOL`s exact words to me on how they use the bar:

"You use the whole bar each time. when one side is full, turn it over. When both are full, roll it up and squeeze out two new sides. Unless you drop it on the ground, it will perform many, many jobs."

Well, there you have it.

Boss_429
    Yep, I don`t know if I agree completely with their instructions...... but maybe they know better. In my mind, I`d rather throw away only a quarter of a bar if I drop it on the ground, then the whole bar, and I like knowing that I`ve got a couple of fresh piece for the next paint claying.

Post Thanks / Like
    I re-use the clay sometimes. I cut it into sections and if the vehicle I`m doing is in relatively good shape - I`ll use the clay again.

Beleive me, I don`t have anywhere near the experience as some of the other guys here - but I will admit that I have re-used clay and I have never seen a difference in the final product. I think it depends on the quality and condition of the clay.
    Ringo

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut mine into four pieces. Usually on my car 1/4 is enough to do the car. Since I use carwash suds as my lube I think it degrades the bar quicker(changes the texture). I always throw it away, even when I used the QD. I would rather pay a few dollars for a new bar than risk messing up a paint job.

Post Thanks / Like
    I checked with Griots about this and they suggested using half the bar or the whole bar and just refolding it until it starts to turn from its original yellow to sort of greyish. I just can`t bring myself to use the whole bar if for no other reason to prevent the risk of dropping it and blowing $20 in a second, but I think I will start saving my 1/4 bars until they get a bit dirty rather than throwing them out when they still look almost perfect. I have to admit that whenever I use clay on my main ride, there is very little contamination on it and it always hurt me to throw out what looked like a perfectly good piece of clay. I don`t consider myself a cheapskate, but there`s no sense in wasting perfectly good product either. BTW- I was wondering if Griots car wash is the same as Megs Gold Class? Never used GC, but it sure looks the same. Very slick stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut mine into fourths and can sometimes get two cars out of it. My brother in law just dropped his clay the other day, good thing he cut it.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I reuse mine and have had no problems...I also have a big one.. and use it whole and fold it as needed..but then again I do it totally different than most...I clay after polishing and remove anything that the polish won`t....and of course I use Spray and Wipe as my lubricant
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking of trying Spray & Wipe as clay lubricant. Next time I clay I will have to try it and see how well it works.

Steve,

Why don`t you clay before you polish? Do you clay the whole car after polishing or only stuff you can see still left on the paint?

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Austin at that point you only have to do what you can feel...which makes the bar go further and less overall work..
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    steve thanks for the tip, sounds good I will try it

Thread Information