Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: time per step

Post Thanks / Like

time per step

It seems like I take an extraordinary amount of time to complete each step of a detail process. I am new at doing the "professional" way, but I just wonder if I should be moving out quicker or if I`m lolly-gagging around or something. It takes me about 5 hours just to wash, clay, polish once with PC, apply wax/sealant. Many of you can do a fairly complete detail in 4-5 hours. How about some of you guys listing out your time-to-complete for these steps:

1. simple polishng with PC
    2. simple polishing with rotary
    3. SMR with PC
    4. SMR with rotary
    5. Interior shampoo and what kind of extractor (I use little green machine).
    6. Wax/sealant application (hand or PC).
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same problem. When done, the vehicle always looks like I was aming for... it just takes me a very long time. I think in my case it is just because I am so finatical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im so anal about everything when detailing I drive it out in the sun to see if there is the slighest swils or blemishs but yeah it takes about 5 hours.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Boss_429

Re: time per step

Originally posted by rtbrick
    It seems like I take an extraordinary amount of time to complete each step of a detail process. I am new at doing the "professional" way, but I just wonder if I should be moving out quicker or if I`m lolly-gagging around or something. It takes me about 5 hours just to wash, clay, polish once with PC, apply wax/sealant. Many of you can do a fairly complete detail in 4-5 hours. How about some of you guys listing out your time-to-complete for these steps:

1. simple polishng with PC
    2. simple polishing with rotary
    3. SMR with PC
    4. SMR with rotary
    5. Interior shampoo and what kind of extractor (I use little green machine).
    6. Wax/sealant application (hand or PC).
    rt,

There are so many variables there, that it`s hard to say. It depends on the size of the vehicle, the condition of the vehicles paint, the type of products, the enviroment (humidity... etc.).

Anyhow, I`ll take a stab at some of these.

Back in my youth (a long, long, long time ago), I would say that an average sized car in fair conditon working in a place set up to do professional detailing, with good products would go something like this.

Simple polish with rotary - 30 minutes (45 to 60 minutes with PC)
    SMR with rotary - 30 minutes (45 to 60 minutes with PC)
    Interior shampoo - 15 to 30 minutes
    Hand apply and remove wax - 45 minutes (30 minutes with PC)

Keep in mind that we only used rotary buffers (mostly pneumatic) in our shop back then, so the times on the PC are just a wild guess.

Today, working at home in my yard (and lolly-gagging), those times are pretty much doubled!

Post Thanks / Like
    You have a picture of a full sized extended cab Silverado below your name. If that`s what is taking 5 hours then I don`t think you`re out of line. It takes me AT LEAST that long to do the same to mine......longer probably. I think some of the times we hear are for mini cars with perhaps 1/3 as much paint to work.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Imageing doing a 18 wheeler and its trailor.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually tell my assistants that I am not as concerned on how long something takes to do as long as it is done right the first time. I would rather make 2 $ an hour than have a dissatisified customer. If you are kind of new to detailing what you need to strive for is to be a little faster and a little more complete with every vehicle. it takes a lot of practice

Post Thanks / Like
    I figured much of it is due to practice and experience. I have been contemplating the purchase of a rotary, but I doubt that would speed me up. Most likely, it would slow me down due to being even more careful. Still, I think I am taking nearly twice as long.
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    Practice Practice Practice keep at it I have been detailing/cleaning cars since 1970. i still learn something new all the time. I wish that I would have found this forum long ago. I hope that some of these posts here have helped other as much as they have me

Post Thanks / Like
    One more thing Do you have a D.A. polisher? I have both rotary and the da style and very seldom use the rotary any more maybe 2 or 3 times a year I use my DeWalt all the time.

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I take jsut as long as you. It can easily take me 2 hours just to do the following:

1. Clean tires
    2. Clean wheels
    3. Wash car
    4. Dry car

The wheels and tires alone can take me 20-30 minutes. A full 3 step SMR-glaze-wax can take me ALL day.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    A total Full detail for me thats means wheel wells,Rims outside and in,Engine,Interior,Exterior SMR,Sealent,Wax, and everything else you can imagine takes me close to 8 hours regular wash and wax and dress tires and interior can take short 3-4 hours.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Shine? That's not a shine Cujo31's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! I guess Im not alone then. lol There are times I would sit there and think .. yea baby! Im flying through this one. At the end it was the same as it always was .... 5-7 hours for the full detail. I hear guys here even saying for a full blown detail they can do it in about 4 hours. It must be true... practice practice practice
    John ( aka Cujo31 )
    Custom Car Care LLC

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which guy was it that managed to do 2 cars, full inside and out, in 5 hours. Was it Clean Dean? That was unreal, made me want to shoot myself, so damned inefficient.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    If I do the full detail it takes me 5 to 6 hours and longer if the paint or insides are beat up badly. This is not with the motor being addressed. I beleive that you should go at a speed that allows you to get the job done the right way the first time.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information