Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 09-14-2010

Default A Time Based Experiment

AS some of you may be aware, my good lady wife and I have relocated to a new home in a new city. I have only visited the Forum here on occasion over those last 6 weeks or so, because, as you may understand, things have been busy, and there have been other priorities more pressing. The settling in process is a time consuming one.

To that end, I have been somewhat remiss in looking after our car, but that has been a conscious thing on my part. Our new house has only a Single Lock Up Garage (SLUG), as opposed to our old home which had a DLUG. With that in mind, we have always used the garage as a ‘holding’ area for boxes whenever we move. That way we can unpack those boxes at our leisure and still have room to move inside the house without there being, in our case, 70 boxes lying around all over the place, and keeping them in the garage makes for some ease during that unpacking process.

That only took two weeks or so, and we still have some ‘stuff’ in the garage. However, over the next few days to a week, there actually will be some room in that garage to move the car into. When I do work on the car, the only thing that is done outside is the wash process, so it has been a while since I did any work on the car, and again, that was also a conscious process on my part. I could just have easily run the car through one of those brushless car washes, but I really wanted to carry out a form of experiment, something that might actually add to my knowledge base, and I’m safe with the knowledge that I now actually do have an idea what I am doing, why I am doing it, and what will be the results, both in the short and long term.

Before I left The Gold Coast, I worked the painted surface up with the FX Paste Wax. Then as the forerunner to my ‘experiment’, a couple of days later I worked up a coverage of Pure Carnauba Paste over the top of that FX.

It has now been 6 weeks since I did anything to my car, and to some of you that may sound anathema. Our car has been parked out in the weather that whole time. Each day or two, I go and have a look to see what I can see. What this has given me is insight into something I had an idea about, but was never actually willing to try out, leaving our car ‘In’ the weather for any amount of long term time.

Now that I do have an idea of what is actually happening, I was confident I could do this on two fronts, the first being that if anything untoward did happen, I could rectify it, and the second, and probably more important, it would confirm what I had a good idea about, and that second point is exactly what did happen.

It has everything to do with the sacrificial layer that I mentioned at length in the above Sticky from 18 months ago, and which was reinforced recently with the Mike Phillips post.

We have had all types of weather over those last 6 weeks, and our car is still in surprisingly good condition. There have been times when it really looked like it needed a good wash and some work, and it was actually hard to leave it longer, but I just ‘had to know’. The only time I really was concerned and nearly caved in and washed it, well that same night, we had an extended period of long and heavy rain. The following morning I went and checked, and what I found was that the paint was remarkably clean and actually looked like it had just been washed and worked up.

I’ve never been one for looking much at beading as a guide, but after that rain event I noticed the small beads and tracks where those beads had joined together and slid right off the surface. Again, here you might think etching, especially since the day was quite warm following the rain, but I take you back to the sacrificial layer thing. Drops of water left on an untreated clear coat ‘may’, (if there are elements in the rain or in the air brought down with the rain) etch the Clear Coat if those drops are allowed to dry, but keep in mind that with the FX and then a thin hard shell of Carnauba, if there is to be any etching, then that will occur in that hard layer of Carnauba, hence the term, sacrificial layer.
There was no subsequent etching on our car, whatsoever.

That painted surface has undergone many things in those 6 weeks. I even went out one morning after the surface had been coated with a light dust, normal driving conditions in this area. There had been a light shower, and the dust was highlighted, especially seeing the tracks made as a cat walked across the car from the back across the roof, and then down the bonnet. That concerned me a little but on closer inspection it was only that. Marks of the tracks, and following some heavier rain that night, those tracks completely disappeared without any trace at all that they had even been there.

Now I can actually begin a solid work up, there will be a good wash first. Luckily, here I have really good strong water pressure, and I only need that now for one thing. To make a really good tub full of thick close suds on top of the water in the bucket. Those thick suds act again as a good barrier between the woolen mitt and the surface, and that’s the only thing I missed where I have come from, where the water pressure was barely one rat power. What that low pressure did most effectively show me was that high pressure is only as a pre wash rinse, and then for the suds, because during that last sheeting rinse, then the water should be barely just dribbling out of the end of the hose nozzle, and this aids considerably in the next step, the drying off.

After the wash, I’m going to clay the whole car, then do Step 1 and then do the FX Paste Wax. I debated whether or not to go the whole three step route, but I’ll just go with the FX Paste this time.

Now, prior to the wash even, this time I’m going to do the black trim with Naturally (Back To) Black. Why I’m doing it this way is to check to see if in fact any of it does come off during the wash, and done correctly, I know it won’t, but I want to check something out.

The wheels, Magnesium Alloy, are the dirtiest thing on the car at the moment, but I know that will come off so easily during the wash process as they have been done with Plastic Polish, and Spray Wax, so there’s nothing on the Clear that any dirt or brake dust can adhere to in a permanent manner.

I also have some resolution for the lambswool seat covers.

So, this is just the preamble.

As I work up the car, I will be posting in each of the separate sub fora regarding that area.

Now, some of you may actually wonder, ‘Why does he do all this?’ It seems I am always repeating myself on the same old subjects.

That may be so.

Not long after I first came to this Forum and started gathering information, I took the time and went back to day 1 of this Forum, into the Archives, and trawled through every single Thread and its attached Posts for all the information I could gather. It took a while but it was well worth it. Along the way, I learned things, and then also wanted to try them out for myself.

Now, even though I do repeat myself, it indicates what happens over time, and that’s an important thing. It shows that you have to keep at it to keep your car looking good all the time, and that, no matter what, there is no easy ‘one time’ fix.

Staying close to the suggested time frames in the ‘Detail Guide’ and then using Spray Waxes after each wash keep the painted surfaces pristine, so I have no need to know specifically ‘how long’ they might last. I know our car is always protected.

This time experiment keeping the car ‘In’ the weather has been beneficial for me on many fronts.

I’m looking forward to this full work up, so stay tuned, and even though it may seem as a repeat of the same old same old, each time I do something, I learn something.

After that, I have 2 other cars, our daughter’s two Hyndai’s, a Getz and a Tucson SUV to completely work up, and I have an idea on another project that may or may not eventuate.

If it helps me, then it’s worth informing others here at the Mothers Forum.

Again, this is a long Post, but there needs to be some context explained beforehand.

PS. Incidentally, I've found that one of the most important additions to any good detailing kit is a camera.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.

Last edited by TonyfromOz; 09-14-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Added text in the form of that PS.
Old 09-15-2010

Default Re: A Time Based Experiment

At this point, I never wait 6 weeks to wash. I just like to keep them clean.

My Dakota truck is out 24x7 and it is tough on the paint. It was repainted 3 years ago but the paint is very soft. It is black so it shows all defects and water spots easily and bird bombs etch.

Are you getting a new camera?
Old 09-15-2010

Al,
Our car has been garaged all it's life with us, so the only time it's ever out in the weather is if it rains while we are out.
The painted surface has always been kept in excellent condition.
The thing I particularly wanted to take notice of was, if the paint is at a point where it has that protection, then how would it stand up in real weather, all the time, eg, a daily driver that is not garaged.
I noticed all conditions and the effects they had on the paint. Those two or three heavy rain events virtually washed the car back to almost pristine clean, as anything on the surface just washed away with that rain.
I wanted to leave it as long as I could to see those effects for myself, so that when I do reply to questions from now on, it's not based on 'best guess', but on relatively absolute knowledge of just how a worked up surface will handle the weather, if it's kept in that weather.
I always knew that if anything out of the ordinary came along, then I could remedy that. I was particularly looking for etching of water droplets left on the surface, but nothing of that effect even came along.
Maybe it was a bit left field, but now I know for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnot
Are you getting a new camera?
Nope!
Same six year old digital Kodak CX7330. I've found that, for all I need, this 'is' all I need. The real plan for me was the correct accessories. I also got the image Loading Dock/Charger with the camera, not the Printer combo, but just the dock. Then I keep the Kodak image program regularly updated via their regular downloads, but that Program I just use to downloading the images from the camera to my computer. Once in their folders, I then Use Adobe PhotoDeluxe, not the free generic free Home Program from the download, but the Business Edition that some photo studios use. The advantage of this is that this program has absolutely everything. The best part is that while the same image in the Kodak program can be anything up to 6Meg in size, that same image after work in the Adobe program comes down to around 100KB, without losing anything from the original image. It just decreases the filesize. It makes it so much easier to send the image in an Email, and also to upload to sites like this. The Adobe program has way more options too.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 09-16-2010

We live in an area with lots of trees especially pine trees but my wife has some bird feeders so lots of birds flying around. The pollen can get pretty bad around here during the spring months and can zap the life out of any wax.

Climate and airborne matter (pollution, nature) varies a lot which is why everyone's experiences with product durability varies.