Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 10-02-2010

Default Powerball 4lights BIG PROBLEM HELP NEEDED ASAP!

Hi

I was working on a BMW 535 E39 and I used Powerball 4 light on the headlights and then went on to the severe headlight restoration kit as the lights were really bad...

The lens was really smooths afterwards but there are ALOT of small scratches on the headlight because of the 2 pads. I did everything according to the instructions but still messed up!

What did I do wrong ? can I fix it ?

I used scratch remover on the headlight and it did work abit but the scratches are still visible, the guy did not notice it, but he took the car out for the night, really happy about the paintwork but I told him about it and I need to fix it (just for my self, he does not care really but my services are all about doing the best job using the best products)

So if anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated

I only did one lens
Old 10-02-2010
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: Powerball 4lights BIG PROBLEM HELP NEEDED ASAP!

I always suggest doubling the amount of time used with each successive pad.

eg: use pad #1 for 1 minute, followed by pad 2 for at least 2 minutes, then pad 3 for at least 4 minutes and pad 4 for at least 8 minutes.

Almost always, your results come from not spending enough time with the later pads, and/or too much with the first pad.

Revisit with pads 3 and 4, spending lots of time with them. Keep it well lubricated.

Then, when you go back to the PowerBall 4 Lights, spend a lot of time with it. This is one PowerBall product where speed is good.
Old 10-02-2010

thank you.

I will try using 3 for 4minutes and 4 for 8 minutes ? or less ?

really hoping to fix this problem tomorrow, I can't afford to buy him new headlights
Old 10-02-2010
Administrator

A few more tips...

Keep the sanding surface wet, and keep dipping the pads in water.

If pad 3 does not remove the scratches, revert to pad 2. You should certainly be done with pad 1 at this point.

Work in a different direction with each pad -- this will help you determine if the scratches are getting removed. That is, if you're working horizontally with a pad, try vertically with the next pad, and so on.

However many minutes it takes with a pad, double it with the next pad.

It can take some time to learn these basic sanding techniques.

If you haven't watched the videos, give them a try also:

Old 10-02-2010

Thanks Admin

I put the pads in water for about 8 minutes, I took an empty Showtime Instant Detailer and filled it with water (cleaned the inside first) and had it to constantly have the lens wet and the pas also.

I know now what I did wrong as you and Forrest have pointed out. I took Pad 1 for about 30seconds and the other ones aswell so that is my problem I guess. I'm gonna try out using 3 and 4 tomorrow, my buisness partner (we run a SMALL detailing company working on weekends) will be working on the leather interior of the BMW and I'll be working on the lights.

Thank you so much for all the help guys
Old 10-10-2010

I followed the instructions from Forrest and Admin and got GREAT results!!!

Subaru Impreza GX 1999, lights were really bad and I mean BAD! took a before and after pic using only the powerball, Used the severe headlight restore package on it to using it as instructed in the above posts from Forrest and Admin.

here is the pic using only the powerball 4 lights

Closed Thread