Thread: Topping #7

Post Thanks / Like

Topping #7

Just picked up some #7 and haven`t used it before. Any suggestions? I`m getting ready to prep my Stang for shows.
    What I plan on doing is:

SSR2
    SSR1
    PP
    EX
    TS

I`ve also heard this is a PITA to remove, will microfiber cut it or should I get some terry towels?

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I topped #7 with P21S and it looked outstanding on dark green metallic. I wiped it off with micros. I did a section at a time. Went over it with a micro just to get the haze off and moved on to another section. Once I completed the car this way I went back with another micro and wiped down the entire car. P21S was applied immediately afterwards. The car was brilliant. This was the 1st time I ever washed, clayed, polished,glazed and waxed a car. I was very satisfied with the look after spending 5 plus hours on it. Rick
    Last edited by rabbi; 04-13-2004 at 12:14 PM.
    "I`m staying out of it."

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topping #7

Originally posted by shotime
    Just picked up some #7 and haven`t used it before. Any suggestions? I`m getting ready to prep my Stang for shows.
    What I plan on doing is:

SSR2
    SSR1
    PP
    EX
    TS

I`ve also heard this is a PITA to remove, will microfiber cut it or should I get some terry towels?
    #7 is a product that I have purchased, tried, and given away at least three times. For some reason, I can`t seem to remove it without lots more effort than I am willing to put forth.

Two things about #7:
    1. I don`t think it is a product to use before a sealant. It has (I think) oils and fillers that may affect the sealant`s bonding capabilities. Just my opinion.

2. Mike Phillips has posted a procedure for using #7 that is supposed to take care of the problem I had. You might want to do some searching for that post. I haven`t tried his method since I had no interest in buying and giving away another bottle of the stuff. I`m just crazy, not stupid.

Charles

Chadwick's Auto Detailing membim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think #7 is more for single stage paints. Megs has a newer glaze out that is geared more toward clear coated finishes. I`m sorry I can`t remember but I think it`s #81 or #82.

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I too think it`s #81. I`m almost positive it is.
    "I`m staying out of it."

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Meguiar`s #81 Hand Polish is said to be much more user friendly than #7.

This link should take you to Mike Phillips post about using #7.

http://www.showcargarage.com/forum/s...?s=&threadid=2

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    So it looks like I`m skipping the UPP and EX. I guess I`ll just have to experiment with #7, and while I`m at it, buy some #81. For #81, would it be better using a foam applicator or a terry one?
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love #7, the trick is to use a very very thin coat, and wipe or buff it off after you apply it. Just wait for it to dry to a haze. If you use alot of it, its EXTREMELY hard to get off. Try to go as thin as you possibly can. I have great results with this now that I perfected my own way of doing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Godfather . . . are you applying #7 to clearcoats?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I do.

Post Thanks / Like
    shotime, a few suggestions:

I would reverse the order...go SSR2, PP, then SSR1.
    Pro Polish will give ultimate clarity, while SSR1 is more of a wet look. Therefore, you would essentailly be canceling out the effects of SSR1. As for the color on your Stang, I would go as wet as you can get it! SSR1 is similar to a glaze (not as wet), and I have started skipping my glazing step on most of my client details, however, I still use it on my own cars. I apply with a PC on a rather fast setting with a Meg`s Finishing pad.

Honestly, I would probably skip the UPP step. #7 does have bonding issues, so my suggestion would be to go from 7 to EX, then TS. UPP, being a sealant, MIGHT have bonding issues, but when it comes to all that scientific stuff, none of us really know the truth.

The NEW AND IMPROVED method of removal on #7 works fantastic!! Charles, you should really give it antoher shot.

Trade Secret should be an excellent choice for a finishing touch!!

Good luck, and would love to see some pics when you finish!
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Nickc0844
    The NEW AND IMPROVED method of removal on #7 works fantastic!! Charles, you should really give it antoher shot.
    Probably, but right now I would prefer to have the UPP as my last step product on the van.
    Here again, Klasse AIO for a cleaner prep seems to work good.
    On my wife`s Pontiac, I am experimenting with Poorboy`s PwC and Meguiar`s NXT Tech Wax for a combination. It too, seems to be a good combo. I`m not just sure where and how the #7 would fit in. NXT probably would not affect the #7, but the fact that NXT does have some cleaning ability might lessen the #7 results.
    No matter. I`m going to save my money for more S&W.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear that some guys use IHG, which is something like #7 (I think) under Zaino, but you need to wash first to remove excess oils. Haven`t tried it yet myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t like IHG as much as #7. It`s easier to use, but #7 I think has a better look. I don`t see why people would wash IHG to get rid of the oils, the whole point in using the product is for the oils, right?
    Teflon is for frying pans.

Thread Information