Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrapped Rotarys

Post Thanks / Like

Wrapped Rotarys

I have a grand Cherokee 2000. At 23K I developed a shimmy in the steering wheel. Took it in and the fixed it under warranty,wrapped rotarys. I know have 38K and the same problem is back. Jeep say that they have a fix for the problem but its not covered any longer.

I think that its there problem and should be fixed by them.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do?
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wrapped Rotarys

Originally posted by Beemerboy
    I have a grand Cherokee 2000. At 23K I developed a shimmy in the steering wheel. Took it in and the fixed it under warranty,wrapped rotarys. I know have 38K and the same problem is back. Jeep say that they have a fix for the problem but its not covered any longer.

I think that its there problem and should be fixed by them.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do?
    I think you mean warped rotors . If so, join the club. Many F150 owners are reporting problems with rotors warping. Some, very early as did the ones on your truck.

As for them fixing the rotors for free...good luck. Your even lucky they fixed them the first time. If you read the Jeep warranty (or eny new automobile warranty) brakes are not covered. They are classified as a wear or maintenance item just like changing the oil.

I would suggest getting an aftermarket set of rotors and pads. I recently put 4 new Brembo OE replacement rotors and a set of Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads on my wife`s Taurus. The OE Replacement Brembos are very high quality USA made steel and reasonably priced. Fronts were $44.00 ea and rears were $39.00 from The Tire Rack.

Seems many of the vehicles these days are coming with undersized rotors or cheaply made rotors and thus are overly sensitive to heat and pad glazing (which is what causes warping).

Good luck.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Looking for 22% Discount TheCompleteLook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take it to somewhere besides the dealer and see if the rotors can be "turned", if they aren`t warped very bad this will fix it just fine. I would seriously talk to Jeep headquarters because unless the driver is an idiot and rides the breaks (heats them up) this should not happen.
    Rob
    www.thecompletelook.net

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you get new rotors, make sure they are cadnium plated, and slotted. Whatever you do, do not get drilled rotors.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    hmmmmm no drilled rotors? Why do you say this? I know there are some manufacturerers who are retarted and don`t know how to make breaks but x-drilled rotors not only look cool they also WORK! A good set of x-drilled rotors are just as strong as a solid or sloted rotor. Many formula cars and other race cars as well as Porche utilize the x-drilled rotor design.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only get 9 months on my Tahoe before they warp.. my cousin is trying some slotted anodized ones on his truck and I will trust his evaluation...he`s a master mechanic ..also teaches engine building at a school...he was getting basically the same...I think on newer models they are using 4 wheel dics brakes..i have rear drums, and this should help stop these large vehicles....drilled or slotted correctly work better than solid and disperse heat quicker.
    the dealer is no longer responsible for the rotors...it`s considered wear and tear items like tires...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally would not recommend cross-drilled rotors. Once they start taking some heavy abuse (IE, the driver having some fun on a curvy road) you can heat them up TOO much, thats when you can get cracks inbetween the drillings.

Slotted is good.

I cant see why you are warping rotors, if you are, the problem is somewhere else. Check the calipers and the master cylinder to see if you have any problems there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its the calipers Jeep has a replacment part but will not cover me because its out of warrenty by 3000 miles. I`m going to take it to the dealer and see what I can get done.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are going to have to replace the calipers. Compare the price of the Jeep replacement part with that of Brembo or another performance brakeing company.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem on my Acura. Honda installs solid rotors on the rear wheels and to be completely honest they`re garbage. They warp without fail. Nobody will turn warped solid rotors around here as they will just warp again. Switching over to the slotted style rotor will fix this problem because the fins in the slot create an "I-Beam" effect.

Cracking rotors? You got some cheap steel I think. Quality steel doesn`t crack if it`s forged and tempered right, it would warp.
    Ask a question, be a fool for a minute. Don`t ask a question, be a fool forever.
    -Chinese Proverb

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rhillstr
    I had the same problem on my Acura. Honda installs solid rotors on the rear wheels and to be completely honest they`re garbage. They warp without fail. Nobody will turn warped solid rotors around here as they will just warp again..
    Having spent a lot of time with cousins in the tire biz...

A lot of the warped rotors a e from over tightening the lug nuts...as silly as it sounds ..honda products especially have to be torqued to specific tightness to prevent warping...they even have and sell a special kit to use just on Hondas/Acuras

the slotted ones and drilled ones are both fine...we`ve done a lot of racing on them for years..no cracks...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rhillstr
    I had the same problem on my Acura. Honda installs solid rotors on the rear wheels and to be completely honest they`re garbage. They warp without fail. Nobody will turn warped solid rotors around here as they will just warp again. Switching over to the slotted style rotor will fix this problem because the fins in the slot create an "I-Beam" effect.

Cracking rotors? You got some cheap steel I think. Quality steel doesn`t crack if it`s forged and tempered right, it would warp.
    Sloting actualy decreases the strenght of the rotor. The benifet is from heat disipation. Yes there have been studies done to prove this.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    just like plywood having two layers to your rotor (like in a vented style) allows them to provide each other support and reduces warpage.

Sorry Koop, I meant vented.....

Poorboy,
    I have been told the exact same thing many times. The problem in my case is I have aftermarket wheels which are stiffer than the OEM wheels. If i don`t torque them down good the lugnuts come loose. I almost lost my front wheel because of this. Thus I have to replace the rear rotors when they warp at a whopping $10 apiece. I have contimplated aftermarket ceramic brakes but I don`t plan to keep the car more than 9 more months.
    Ask a question, be a fool for a minute. Don`t ask a question, be a fool forever.
    -Chinese Proverb

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG! what do you drive a geo metro? 10 dollar discs is insane!!!!!!
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    I know, should be a warning sign, huh!
    Nope, I guess it`s honda`s way of making up for making crappy brakes. I have never owned a car with brakes as good as my VW. Gawsh I miss that car....
    -Chinese Proverb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information