Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

have you ever damaged your car while working on it ?

Today i blundered real good oh yeah i now bear a grudge against myself. I don`t feel much to explain how it happened, yet i had to let it out her, where people will without a doubt feel my pain. The hugeeeee mistake i made was that i had jacked up the left rear end ofthe car along with the front right side, even though the parking brake was pulled on, and the stick```` was pushed in first gear, the front end collapsed :angry I know the mistake is mine, but still i was like a nightmare the split second the front end collapsed to the ground.........and worst of it is the jack on its way down kinda bit into the rocker panels, creating a deep cut and a dent of about 3 inches long by 2 inches wide, and about 1/4 inch in the deepest part where the bad cut is......i was like phychologically demolished at the very moment it happened.......

Now i`m thinking repair, thus i went to the body shop and the guy told me it would cost round 200$ .......it only affected the underside of the rocker panel though...the side of it being dent and scratch free luckily..........he told me he will pull the dent out, then apply some stuff which name slips me, but he says it s some kinda rubber material, that is supposedly very good.

I asked him for the best repair possible, money is no object to me, as long as the job is well done............Yet what bothers me a lot is the paint down there will not be its original one :nono

moral of this sorty is i feel real sad and almost hammering away at myself for having done such a STUPID mistake that could have been avoided.

Anyway it feels good to let it all out.....thanks for listening guys, and if you can relate to this please, feel free to comment of share your experience.

Best regards to all in town

Right Wing Conservative NozeBleedSpeed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A good body man can do miracles.Most repairs cant even be detected by the owner.No car is perfect.None.Half of all cars have body and paint work done to them at the factory.They are damaged in transit and at dealers.Almost every car is repared in some way before the first titled owner ever takes possesion.

I feel your pain.Fix it and move on.Its just metal and paint.10 years from now you will be rubbing and doting over an all new love.

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very true NBS. We`ve all done this b4. Heck i work in a body shop. You should see the rare mistakes we make sometimes! Only nice part is we fix it right away and it`s all covered under the shops insurance. Eveyone makes mistakes. And hey i know it`s a big investment and a special one to us all but it really is just an object. There are more important things than cars.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like

NozeBleedSpeed

NozeBleedSpeed, thanks for those comforting words. i need it a lot............and yes the body shop guy told me, the repair will never cause any future problems of any kind after it s done.........reasurring i must say......and believe me i chosen the very best in town.

take care

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Major bummer there Chip. I understand your frustration 100%. Like Nozebleed asid, I`m sure the body guys will have it looking spiffy in no time and it`ll all be a distant, if unpleasant memory.

A year or so ago I pulled a real dingbat move. Luckily, my vehicle was the one that took the hit and not a client vehicle. I was on a step ladder buffing off the roof of my truck (I think it was Platinum UPP ) when stepping off the ladder I slipped ever so slightly and the beeper clipped to my pants put a nice deep scratch into the clear on the driver side rear cab door .

Over the next few weeks I hit that spot with everything I had. Made it barely noticeable and only at the oddest angle in the perfect lighting condition but I still know it is there.

Lesson learned for me. From now on it is cotton sweat pants or short with cotton shirts only. No belts, beepers, phones etc.

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like

Koop

I have to say you`re right, but it must be that im under considerable shock and reality is kinda distorted right now, but i`ll get over it soon im sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Natty

Thanks for your kind words.........i don`t know, it just feels good to know there are other people who make those kind of dingbat moves.........i`m psychologically getting over it, little by little now.

By the way Natty, how resistant are today`s paint as opposed to car maker`s paint ? How long should it last ? I think the guy has in mind to use urethane clear coat, but not sure.....mine is a base coat clear coat of course.

thanks a bunch all

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most paints aplied by a shop are MORE durrable! This is, however, only the case after the paint is completely cured about 3 months after the job. Main reason is they use a lot more clear in general than they do in the factory.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like

Koop

Good to know that

Post Thanks / Like
    Stuff like that happans all the time. I remeber we had a member who took the paint off a dash with goo gone and had to repaint it. Good luck with the repair sorry to hear
    www.exotiXboard.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Good thing you weren`t under that vehicle, even partially, when it gave way. Safety first, always.

Natty, I did a boner similar to yours. My office was turning in a boat load of old computer equipment and I was asked to load it in my truck and take to the warehouse. The bed of my truck is generally for "looking good" not for hauling (it might get dirty, you know?). As I was loading and shifting equipment I inadvertently caught my belt buckle on the bed for a nice inch-long scratch. Crap! So, po`d, I went to the other side to finish the shifting around and...Crap!...I did it on the other side! How dumb is that??? I have yet to try and work it out.:beat
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by rtbrick
    So, po`d, I went to the other side to finish the shifting around and...Crap!...I did it on the other side! How dumb is that??? I have yet to try and work it out.:beat
    Ouch! Double ouch!

I`m usually good for a real peckerhead move 3-4 times a year:doh, just ask my wife . Hey look at the bright side, if Dad didn`t make those world class goofs how in the world would the kids learn all those great curse words
    Natty

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up NattyBumppo

Natty, your last post is brought about giggling....dont know why
    :hah

i guess i find myself in the same boat, that may account for it lol

Cheers buddy :beer

Post Thanks / Like
    :beer
    Natty

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m the king of dip```` and I can`t count how many times I`ve done something so retarded that my wife has threatened to leave me while she can afford it. Fear not chip, nobody`s perfect. Okay, quick story. I had just finished polishing up my Acura after I got 4 new tires on my car
    The problem is, I was loading up some things for my drive back to Chicago and we were a little late so I was rushing. While going a hundred miles an hour packing, I wacked the base of my wife`s KitchenAid stand mixer on the rear panel just below where the spoiler ends. It`s about 2 inches long and 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep with a scratch at the base of the CREASE. Yeah no "ding king" here. Now everytime we walk by it my wife affectionately points out my stupidity.... After all you can see it from across the friggin` parking lot!
    Ask a question, be a fool for a minute. Don`t ask a question, be a fool forever.
    -Chinese Proverb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information