Post Thanks / Like

using APC prior to wiping vinyl dressing on ?

Do you clean prior to wiping on any vinyl reconditioner ?
    Don`t get me wrong here, i`m not too lazy to clean the whole interior vinyl, prior to applying vinyl dressing. and i guess it would make the job look better to first use any APC to wipe on the whole vinyl surface, but in doubt i prefer asking.

Why do i ask this ? Cause i have bought a vinyl reconditioner(locally), the brand is *finish kare*, and asked the rep. if it contained silicone, and it doesn`t, and also he told me that the stuff actually cleans and rejuvenate vinyl, so he said i didnt have to clean the surface prior to using it, which i have doubts about, and that`s where i come in with this question about cleaning, as i`m big on doing proper work, BUT if this step is almost useless, then i`ll skip it, as there`s already much to do round the car, without putting extra strain

P.S. what i think would be best(but i may be mistaken here) is to use some kind of duster, or a vaccum with the right extention, tu remove dust, then apply vinyl dressing, like 303, but polishing it a lot, so it doesnt leave a greasy film.

see y`all

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been wondering about this as well. I normall go voer the entire interior with a dish scrubbing sponge and a 30:1 of SG to clean off anything bad. But unfourtunatly this is so light of a cleaner that it doesnt take off anything serious, so sometimes I wonder if im just wasting time.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    On full details I always go over the intire inside of the car with APC. Its the only way that I can be sure that the dressing is going to apply evenly. There has been times that I have cut a few corners on cars, and then you look at the dressing and some areas look like you never applied it. Its a insurance policy using the APC frist, for a even coating of dressing
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I always wipe down the interior before I apply products that say cleaner/protectant.The dust alone can lead to mild streaking on the seats. Not to mention a dingy looking film which would cause you to use more product (probably what they want you to do). JMO

John

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the good pointers..

Beemerboy actually raised a PRETTY good point, which i hadn`t thought about, which is to *get an even coating of dressing* It makes a LOT of sense that if any greasy film, or dirt (especially oily film) on the surface, more product will prolly be used, and then the application will prolly look quite messy.......as he said some areas might look like no dressing was applied at all.

Dang good answer Beemerboy, you saved me trouble, thanks a lot buddy

P.S. now as far as APC dillution, i guess you prolly use 30:1, right, as most APCs recommend ? as t o me, i have meg`s regular APC(not APC +), as well as 3M`s one, which recommend 30:1 for vinyl cleaning........i would use 15:1, but i sure dont want to have the vinyl fade using that dilution......please let me know what dilution you`ve used with good results, as i`m about to hit the interior.

take care

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a heavy user of Meguiars #40. It is a cleaner protectant. If I am doing a maintenance detail it is all I use. For lightly soiled or dirtier surfaces, I clean with a water based GP cleaner first.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

thanks for both your comments, here and on the other threads

Thread Information