Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Tire & Wheel Care

Tire & Wheel Care Whether you have hubcaps, clearcoated factory alloy, or custom wheels worth thousands, you'll want them to look their best. Metal polishing is also discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 07-18-2008

Default Wheels Protection Product Longevity

Seeing that after my absense, there has been quite a few topics on wheels protection I thought I'd ask the following question:

Which product/s would last longer in wheels protection applications (irregardless of wheel type):

a. Moms Chrome Polish, Mags and Aluminum Polish, Billet Polish and other Moms metal polishes
b. Moms synthetic LSPs
c. Moms carnauba waxes

This is with respect to these products being subjected to high temps.

TIA
Old 07-18-2008
Administrator

Default Re: Wheels Protection Product Longevity

That's some question... you sure you don't want to toss any more products in the mix? You and Grabby (who also comes up with some doozies) should get together and do some testing and let us know.

Keep in mind that the aluminum polishes are not formulated to leave behind any protection. Billet Polish does tend to polish so smoothly and leave a residual that does seem to offer a richness and protection.

Chrome Polish does leave behind a polymer layer of protection.

In the real world, surfaces will get dirty and unsightly before any protection wears off, so if you keep it looking good, you know it's protected. But once you start piling up the dirt, the protection can go before you know it as the contaminants attack the finish.
Old 07-18-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
That's some question... you sure you don't want to toss any more products in the mix?
tee-hee... in as much as I'd love to, I just tossed in the bunch that were normally recommended on the wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
You and Grabby (who also comes up with some doozies) should get together and do some testing and let us know.
well... I guess we could get together and even volunteer our rides, but then... who's gonna sponsor our test products?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin
Keep in mind that the aluminum polishes are not formulated to leave behind any protection.
Ok, so the product Mags and Aluminum Polish is out of the window...
So, we're left with the Billet Polish, Chrome Polish and the rest of the LSPs to test...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin
In the real world, surfaces will get dirty and unsightly before any protection wears off, so if you keep it looking good, you know it's protected. But once you start piling up the dirt, the protection can go before you know it as the contaminants attack the finish.
I think I need to print this for my neighbours everytime they start teasing me on my detailing sessions...
Anyway, I guess longevity is irrelevant as long as you're religious with your maintenance.
Oh and I hope this helps guys (current forumers and would be forumers) who have the same question.
PS: I think, Grabby wouldn't mind if I speak for both of us - we're still open for the "test product sponsorships".
Old 07-18-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
This holds true, especially in my situation where we have ungaraged daily drivers. We have embraced the reality that we just have to frequently clean and add a layer of protection to our cars.

Old 07-18-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2bomber View Post
ps: I think, grabby wouldn't mind if i speak for both of us - we're still open for the "test product sponsorships".
+1
Old 07-18-2008

The only thing I use on my wheels is one of the Spray Waxes.
Every time I wash the car, as you might expect, the wheels also need cleaning, because of the brake dust problem. No matter what you do, the brake dust will always collect on the rims. So, each time you wash the car, the wheels need cleaning of this brake dust.
Every wash in between 'detail guide' work ups, I use the Spray Wax on the painted surfaces, and the last thing I use is the damp MF cloth, damp with the Spray to wipe the cleaned rims, and this gives them that slight edge of protection, and each wash I do this. No product will stop brake dust gathering on the rims, so they need cleaning and topping up with protection after every wash. If the task has to be done each wash, and no product known to man can stop that brake dust, then I feel that this Spray Wax 'top up' is all that is required.
Say once or twice a year at the full work up, then Plastic Polish for clear coated alloys is the go, but for all other times, then I might suggest just the Spray Wax.
I've also found that regular applications make cleaning just so much easier as well.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 07-19-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2Bomber View Post
PS: I think, Grabby wouldn't mind if I speak for both of us - we're still open for the "test product sponsorships".
Amen. I'm all for it. I may be an Art Management major but there's still a part of me that's always wanted to be a mad geeky scientist.

Grabby

I wish I could just detail everyday.

Closed Thread

Tags
products, protection, wheels