Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 01-28-2016

Default How can I speed up my detailing sessions like the pros?

What am I doing wrong that it takes me the course of a few days to detail the exterior of my cars? The interior takes me a better part of a day too. Thisis why I don't even follow up with pictures around here because I don't want to disturb my work flow. I hear that professionals can detail two cars a day! I just detailed my Flex with wash, polish, and wax, using my PC. Also dressed up wheel wells and other plastic trim. Daddy duty caught up with me before I can even start the interior. How do I speed things up without sacrificing quality?
Old 01-29-2016

Default Re: How can I speed up my detailing sessions like the pros?

You have to see what they clean. They usually have a streamlined process...a tools, etc. ready to go and often can use stronger chemicals to insure no going back. I have watched videos of a detail in SoCal that uses several potent chemicals on everything. He apparently has the experience.

An interior can be a simple clean case of cleaning carpets (do they shampoo?), wipe down, and clean glass. I suspect a basic process satisfies most customers. You may do more by getting in crevices, vents, etc.

Washing can be quite quick with a pressure washer and easy to just not go back to that second bucket as often. You can use forced air (like a Master Blaster) to get water out of crevices quicker.

I think most wash and polish jobs use a one step cleaner wax/sealant product. You can work large areas if you want to get away with it. Claying usually costs extra.

They often like to use one product for as much as they can such as an all purpose cleaner for many surfaces. This saves time and money.

I often spend more time that I like getting stuff out and putting stuff up and not having every thing ready.

I cannot explain why it takes a day to clean interior since I do not know what you do.
Old 01-29-2016

Thanks for chiming in, Abnot. I don't have any cleaning equipment besides my PC and 2hp Crafstman shop vac. I do wash with a two-bucket system but I'm spending the most time with the clay or polishing and waxing process. Going over every inch of paint is meticulous and I just don't know how I can speed up my paint-detailing process much more. I guess the best way has been to maintain it in between detailing process, but this is getting difficult now that I've stretched the intervals between washes. Looks like I'll be stepping it up with the new Waterless Wash & Wax spray, though.

As for my interior, I detail it only after it really needs it. I've got three boys with their car seats that have to go in and out during cleaning and I do vacuum every crevice including vents with a bristle nozzle. I use ReVision and VLR on everything inside.
Old 01-29-2016

I do not clay that often. My cars are garage kept. I will do upper surfaces and front area like once per year. I can wax a car fairly quickly with a DA. I just insure I go over 3 passes and I work pretty large areas. If you apply thinly, it is almost effortless to remove. I think the mistake of first users is to overapply and spend too much time removing excess. When waxing I often tape rubber areas but I do not care it gets on trim, emblems, etc. since it provides protection.

I usually like to do a big spring and fall clean up and everything else is just maintenance. I will even clean wells and coat them with a trim dressing like Back to Black rather than rely on some other greasy sprays.