Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 06-24-2016

Default paint in scooter tired weathered and faded-light scratching

I do a wash with some turtle wax soap for cars and then I use mothers Carnauba wax paste in a can. regarding the wax, it has cracked into pieces. is it still ok to use?

my other question is regarding the shine. doesnt seem to get as shiny as it should. its ok, but seems weathered. removing the wax isnt so easy and afterwards isnt so smooth and oily feeling like when you touch your smartphone screen.

reading on the net, rubbing compound was recommended. what compound would you recommend?

not looking to invest in tons of things so please recommend 1 single item that would help.

btw, I was looking for a headlight fade remover product and saw meguirs plastix. what garbage stuff. it didnt do a thing for the headlight. not a **** minute change. so my concern is not to buy a product that wont work.

I will be using a skil 5" orbital sander and terry cloth/foam attachments I bought through ebay.

btw, sorry to say, but your site is a bit on old school, sorry that it offends but I cant right click on the "products" tab (or any of the tabs, including the mothers red tab which allows me to go to the main page)to open in a new window. but you know that. just being observing, because thats not good site navigation design . I have to open a new tab and retype the mothers.com site.
Old 06-24-2016
Administrator

Default Re: paint in scooter tired weathered and faded-light scratching

The California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax paste #05500 can tend to crack, and this is normal.

You probably need to massage it into the finish more, or use our dedicated polish, California Gold Pure Polish #07100 or similar product (like our Professional Rubbing Compound #08612.

Our NuLens #07251 is a great headlight restoration system. Sometimes a plastic polish alone will not clarify the lens if the coating has deteriorated to the point of it needing to be removed, so that's why it includes sanding discs.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 06-25-2016

thanks for the reply. the headlight doesnt have much wear. you can see inside the housing no problem but not as clear as it was. Id rather not use the sanding paper. once you go down that road, thats it, the non stop maintenance happens.

regarding paint. I need something VERY mild to take the oxidation out and smooth the clear coat to make it smooth. it has minor scratches and tons of swirl marks. the painted parts are plastic and need something that wont strip the paint as Ill be using it with the orbital sander. does the carnauba wax have any cleaner in it or is simply to add protection/shine?

curious regarding this item vs step 1 and harshness/abrasiveness.
California Gold® Micro-Polishing Glaze – Step 2

this is a chines bike and im not so sure regarding quality of the paint and thickness. Im just trying to hold onto what it has. the scooter is 8 years old.
Old 07-15-2016
Administrator

As for the headlights, polishing with the PowerBall 4Lights and the PowerPlastic 4Lights polish are recommended -- only for "severe damage" should you sand. So yes, we suggest you hold off on sanding.

Experimenting with the polishes can be required to see what responds to your particular challenge. Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax has polishes and cleaners that clean and clarify the paint, as well as carnauba for long-lasting protection. Working it longer can repair some defects, but sometimes the Pure Polish (Step 1) and/or Micro-Polishing Glaze (Step 2) might be required.

Old 08-02-2016

btw, in Israel, where I live, there is no mothers product presence in sight after being to stores like auto depot, and 2 two mom and pop auto shops

but there is a full meguiars lineup in every shop. theres a stand with tons of their products and not 1 of yours. why?
Old 08-03-2016
Administrator

We are trying to get into more markets, but we are a small family company and it can be a challenge.

Closed Thread