Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What`s your technique for drying with waffle weave mf`s?

Ok, I am thinking of switching to MF to dry my car instead of the chamis I have been using. What is a good technique and do you have to use a few towels to get it done right without leaving water behind?

Thanks.

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My technique - I usually wipe the WW against the paint thus sucking up the water on the car
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to wipe it on the car? I thought I just laid it next ot the car and it dried it for me?!?!?! Screw that!

LOL

Does one WW do the job or does it take a few? Just does not seem MF would soak up that much to me or become soaked really fast and be a pain.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve found that the WW towels work better once they get slightly wet. One towel is more than sufficient to do a whole car.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Just out of curiousity, what brand are you all using?

Post Thanks / Like
    My Rigid blower/vac - I blow my car (and man is it happy :lol) then follow up with the WW towel I got from Dwayne at PAC... Make short work of drying and I don`t have to deal with all those drippy drips that come out of cracks and crevaces for hours.
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m using autofiber, I also ordered those sonus towels with the covered edges in silk or something to try.
    "A car doesn`t have to be the fastest or most powerful to be the love of your life" -Temperacerguy

Post Thanks / Like
    So many waffle weave towels, so little time and money. As far as I can remember, I`ve tried the following WW MFs -
    CMA BBT
    CMA LBT
    CMA BBT II
    PAC Super Soft
    PAC Premium
    PakShak
    Poorboy`s

All of the above towels are very good and preferable to using chamois. I`ve noticed that the softer towels are generally less absorbent and easier to saturate, but they are softer. My favorite is still the original BBT as it was the most absorbent. However, it was rather pricey and alas no longer available. IMHO, today`s best value is the Poorboy`s WW (24"x36" for $12).

As far as technique goes, I first use a free flowing water stream to remove most of the standing water. For this, I use a 2` piece of old hose mated to an on/off valve (got this tip from CharlesW). Then, I use the WW on the horizontal surfaces. I fling the towel out above the surface and let it settle. Then, I pull it a few inches towards me and pat around the rain gutter areas. Afterwards, I just lift the towel off. For the vertical surfaces, I fold the towel into a manageable size (quarters for a 24"x36" towel) to prevent it from accidentally touching the ground. Then, I pat and lightly wipe. One large towel is always enough to dry a vehicle when using this method.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been happy with my Pakshak`s. I usually use 1 to dry most of the water and then go the car again with S&W and a MF to get any waterspots, dirt I missed, etc. The S&W takes any wash film off the car so it regains it`s slick feeling.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like I will need to purchase one then! Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would get 2 or 3, especially if you are doing more than just your car...just to have as backups, if you drop one on the ground, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I am for sure ordering a few of them tonight.

Thanks Steve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by wifehatescar
    I would get 2 or 3, especially if you are doing more than just your car...just to have as backups, if you drop one on the ground, etc.

yea, been there done that! just a sidenote, if youre doing a SUV or something, i probably would recommend more than one. due to the fact that the waffle weave absorbs soooooooooo much water, it makes it really hard to wring.
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Practice makes "PERFECT" clean4u's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by groebuck
    My Rigid blower/vac - I blow my car (and man is it happy :lol) then follow up with the WW towel I got from Dwayne at PAC... Make short work of drying and I don`t have to deal with all those drippy drips that come out of cracks and crevaces for hours.
    :yeah except i use MF towel
    "A Clean Ride is a Happy Ride" To some its just a Ride!!!! So True!!!!!

Boss_429

Re: What`s your technique for drying with waffle weave mf`s?

Originally posted by 2001civicex
    Ok, I am thinking of switching to MF to dry my car instead of the chamis I have been using. What is a good technique and do you have to use a few towels to get it done right without leaving water behind?
    Thanks.
    I think that`s a good move.............. never been much of a fan of the chamois.

Anyhow, I`m a fanatic when it comes to washing/drying techniques on my personal vehicles. Here`s what I feel gives the safest and best drying................ Similar to awd330 process, I flood the paint surface with water after the entire vehicle has been washed to minimize standing water. Then, I take a PAC Premium blue drying towel, and lay it, or lightly pat the paint surface to absorb most of the water. I immediately spray a light mist of Spray & Wipe on the area and take a PAC Super Soft drying towel and very lightly remove any remaining water, and S & W.

Not only is that process nearly "scratch proof", but it also has the added benefit of insuring that the paint surface is completely clean by using the S & W and the super soft WW for the final drying.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information