Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning leather seats?

What would you use to scrub the stiching(on a leather seat)? Would a brush be ok? Can a soft bristeld brush be used on the whole seat? What type of detergent would be best for a heavy cleaning?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use 4* Platinum leather cleaner with a MF towel - it`s awesome!!!
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had success with 0000 steel wool and an interior cleaner or woolite mix. See this post for pics.

http://www.detailcity.com/forums/sho...&threadid=5879
    Kayel17
    If It Floats, Rolls or Flyes, I can make it Shine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Use some Wal-Mart MF`s and Water Woolite (6:1)...I`ve never had any problems and it cleans up great! All leathers are different...I believe yours is coated (as are most) which leaves you more room for error, but don`t push it. I`d stick to the Water:Woolite and do 2 or 3 applications if you are that crazy about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use 4 Star Ultimate Leather Cleaner and a piece of terry towel ...
    I vary slightly from the directions and have gotten better results:
    1) Rub the cleaner in with the towel as directed
    2) Wipe off with a dry towel as directed
    3) Using a moist towel wipe down the seat ... rinse and wring out towel and wipe again and dry
    4) Let dry for several minutes and apply 4* Leather conditioner as directed
    Using this method removes the residue from the cleaner which leaves the leather ready to absorb as much conditioner as possible. It also seems to remove more dirt especially from the stitching.
    I personally do not like to use stiff brushes on stitching because it can lead to fraying and eventually pulling apart. I only use brushes on leather in extreme cases. Terry towels seem to do the trick most of the time.
    By the way ... I have tried many leather cleaners and conditioners over the years and the 4* Ultimate is the only system that lives up to what it promises ... It works and leaves your leather looking and smelling like new!
    Just my .02!
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I would throw in a question. This Friday I`ll be detailing an `03 BMW with leather seats that have been dirtied and abused by dogs. This is my first time working with leather and I plan to attack it using 4* cleaner followed by PB Natural Look. I understand BMW leather is tricky to work with. Any tips? MF or cotton terry?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by GSRstilez
    Use some Wal-Mart MF`s and Water Woolite (6:1)...I`ve never had any problems and it cleans up great! All leathers are different...I believe yours is coated (as are most) which leaves you more room for error, but don`t push it. I`d stick to the Water:Woolite and do 2 or 3 applications if you are that crazy about it.
    GSR do you use 6 parts Woolite to 1 part water or the other way around ? TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tom4444
    I thought I would throw in a question. This Friday I`ll be detailing an `03 BMW with leather seats that have been dirtied and abused by dogs. This is my first time working with leather and I plan to attack it using 4* cleaner followed by PB Natural Look. I understand BMW leather is tricky to work with. Any tips? MF or cotton terry?
    I just finished cleaning and conditioning the leather seats in a 1997 BMW Z-3.
    I used 4* products as described above and it came out great.
    The Natural Look instructions say it is OK for leather but I haven`t used it on leather yet cause I like the 4* conditioner so well.
    I use terry cloths for both leather products because this is a good place to use up those part cotton part something else towels that seem to collect around the house ... plus they work very well!

Post Thanks / Like
    6 parts water : 1 part Woolite

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom the new bmw`s leather is very soft If your customer has dogs look for scratches b4 u start. Let the customer know if there any. You can use the Woolite with a soft brush I often use a Horse hair one for this. Have a 5gal. bucket with fresh water and Mf of terry towel wet the towel and use to wipe. Keep rinseing it.

Good Luck
    Ron

Ron`s Dent`s & Details

Thread Information