Post Thanks / Like

Claying and sealant versus wax

First--I`ve read a lot of the details here and am very impressed with the body of knowledge here, so please go easy on me if my questions are silly!

I`ve always thought I took care of my cars pretty well, but I was chatting with a professional detailer yesterday and he was talking about "claying" and I had never heard of that. I found the premiumautocare.com site, as well as this forum and have learned a lot!

...but I do have some questions that I hope some of you can help with.

1) I just got a new Honda Odyssey (yeah, I know, a family vehicle--I haven`t hit that mid-life crisis...yet! ), and I`m not sure if I should wax it or put a paint sealant on it first. The last few vehicles that I`ve got I`ve applied a paint sealant from Diamond Brite (can`t find any info on getting that product any longer), and then used waxes after that. So, should I use a paint sealant or just do a wax? If I do a paint sealant, should I follow it right away with a wax job or wait some (what) amount of time?

2) If sealant is a good way to start what are the thoughts on the Meguiars No 20? (I`ve been partial to Meguiars products in the past).

3) Thoughts on Meguiars Premium car wax?

4) My other car is a 96 Mazda 626 and although it looks good, after reading about the claying and running my hand over the finish, I`m sure that a good clay job would dramatically improve the finish. One thing I can`t quite figure out is what happens with the contaminants that the clay pulls out of the finish? Do you slice off the clay periodically or how do you keep it from grinding into the finish as you continue to clay?

Thanks for any help!

Looking for 22% Discount TheCompleteLook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as was or sealant, I have been a long time fan of a pure carnuba wax finish. Until recently that is... I have tested some polymer sealants and I have to say how much better they are. They last much longer and just plain look better when you finish the job.
    I had heard some stuff about how polymer doesn`t let the paint breathe and hardens to the point the paint is more likely to crack, but I`m quickly dismissing that kind of thinking.
    Use one or the other, it`s up to you, but laying wax over poly or poly over wax will only result in build-up and reduced shine.

CLAY RULES! Use clay every few months depending on environment and storage of your car. Clay is easy to use, you will have a good method by the time you are done with your first use. Basically, there is a light and medium duty clay. You need to determine which you need then go for it. I use about 50 grams on a regular car. You should fold the clay after sections are done to avoid those lifted contaminents from scratching the paint.just keep folding it over and by the time you are done with the car, the clay will be pretty much useless.
    They say if you drop the clay to toss it because it picks up rocks and stuff.

Have a good time!
    Rob
    www.thecompletelook.net

Thread Information