Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upp V. Ex

Post Thanks / Like

Upp V. Ex

Ok- I just did my own shootout between UPP over AIO and EX. I did half the hood on my Galactic Blue Jetta with each. Prep consisted of Poorboys Pro Polish applied with a Griots orange pad. The Klasse was applied with a Megs yellow polishing pad. Both UPP and EX were applied by hand. Unfortunately, the Klasse streaked just a bit, probably due to the late hour and a bit too much humidity creeping into the air. I only had 30 minutes to let the products dry, and the UPP probably could have used a bit more time. The EX wiped off more easily and left a slightly clearer finish, although I expect that to equalize after the first wash, which should come tomorrow or Fri. I checked the hood after a rainshower today and the beading patterns were virtually identical for both sides of the hood. I really couldn`t tell the difference. More to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I think Klasse SG is a closer Comparisent to the UPP and EX Side. But then Again Klasse is a catagory of its own cause it needs the AIO for a base. But anyways thanks for the review.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Boss_429
    ACE,

Very interesting. I`ve run similar tests, and find the UPP to be a tad clearer, and wetter, and the EX to be a tad richer, and deeper.

One question.......... you put the EX over AIO?

Post Thanks / Like
    Boss- No, it was Pro Polish on the whole hood, followed by UPP over AIO on one side and EX on the other. Like I said, for some reason I got a bit of streaking on the AIO side, which made the initial comparison difficult. Hopefully, this will be gone today and I can apply second coats of UPP and EX.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Boss on the slight differences.

Why did you use AIO over Pro Polish? I would do it the other way around if you needed AIO for it`s cleaning abilities. I go most agressive to least aggresive with products.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Pro Polish was used to provide a totally clean slate for the products to work on. As I understand it, PP leaves only clear, silicone-free paint. This way, the results can totally be attributed to the products put on top of it. If I used PP over AIO, I think the AIO would have been removed.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    who can argue with the Boss

From what I`ve been told that`s the most common obsevation...the addition of wax in the EX adds a bit more warmer, deeper glow, but it loses a little clarity for the same reason....
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Ace I see what you are trying to do, the only thing is the Pro Polish seems like a waste of time, with the AIO being more aggresive you will not notice much of what the Pro Polish did, the AIO will prepare your surface perfectly for any sealant.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the wait time between coats of EX?

As to using different products on top of eachother, I suppose the theory is that the first product produces good shine (say, the UPP or even AIO) and the second product (say, EX) increases the shine of the first product. Is that it?
    2000 Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    Lt Pewter

Post Thanks / Like
    Phase 2. Today I washed the car with Platinum wash and gave each side of the hood a second coat. 45 minutes later, the EX removed without a hitch, but again, the UPP gave me just a bit of streaking problem, which I pretty much neutralized with a spritz of UGE QD. I am quite puzzled by this, as I used UPP over AIO on the roof and had no streaking at all. Maybe it`s just easier to see on the hood? Anyway - some may disagree, but I really couldn`t see any difference. Don`t get me wrong, both sides look phenomenal, but I think if I asked one of you to look at it, you could not tell different products were used. As far as feel, again, just so close that I would be hard pressed to tell. Maybe, MAYBE, the UPP was a bit slicker, but the test was too unscientific. Frankly, I think the only difference is going to be how these products hold up over time because they both look fabulous now. EX definitely has the edge in application. Sorry, but I don`t think you should have to wait for the right phase of the moon or perfect heat/humidity to get streak-free results. It`s kind of a pain in the ass. However, if the UPP kicks EX ass in endurance, I would be willing to put up with a bit of initial tempermental behaviour. I also think when we test out different products on different panels, it`s very hard to reach a valid conclusion because we see different body contours and angle of the light. The only way, IMO, is to try the products on the same panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll try to get a pic here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    And Another:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can see a faint line.

Which product is on the right, I like it!
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ace it looks great...at this level of detailing it is very subjective to the owners eyes of which product give a better look...with a finish that looks like that, you are right..who could tell the difference...

edit..that`s a shadow Tassadar..lol
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Tassadar
    I can see a faint line.

Which product is on the right, I like it!
    Pass the bong this way brother! Maybe i`m blind today or something but i don`t think that with a low res pic like that ANYTHING could be seen acurately enough to distingwish a diffrence. Could be wrong though...... Wouldn`t be the first time.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information