Post Thanks / Like

Help Selecting A Digital Camera

Ok, I hope this is a proper topic for this forum. I figure that since every day digital photos are posted it is an important part of these forums. But I do not have a digital camera or know anything about them. So I would appreciate anyones thoughts on what would be a good camera for a newbie to the photo world to buy and any other helpful info on digital cameras. Who knows, with a little practise I may be posting a few dazzling shots of my own!
    All things can be explained, it`s just that some things are harder to explain than others.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a Canon A70 last summer for $299, it came with a free 128mb memory card. I have zero complaints. It takes great pictures in "auto," but also has advanced features so that as my skill increases I do not have to buy a more advanced camera. There are a couple of websites with review of digital cameras. I think one is dpreview.com not sure, but you can google up "digital camera reviews." Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some websites with good digital camera information -

DP Review

Imaging Resource

Megapixel

Steve`s Digicams

PC Photo

[Edit: This thread should be moved to the Off Topic Forum]

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...170-009&depa=7

you cannot go wrong with this one for less than 300 you get a 5MP camera!
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, my answer may be a lil biad b/c i happen to own this camera, but im blown away with how versatile and high qulaity it is.

I have a Sony P10 (we bought it new for $350, most stores its $399). Its a 5 megapixel camera, with a very nice LCD screen, and aesthetically gorgeous design.

It has more features and technology features than i can list (most of whom which i sitll ahve yet to figure out).

But i have already taken pics with it, and i love the quality. The ease of transferring photo/vid files from the camera to your PC is astounding. It took me less than 5 minutes to set up the USB connection, install the software and input all my pics onot my PC.

Did i also mention it can capture MPEG video footage?

Sony P10, awesome.

goodluck.
    -Mike

Owner - Mike`s Car Wash & Detail

A New Standard of Excellence.

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the Nikon`s. I have a Coolpix 4300. Its really good comapred to the cameras my friends have. Plus this one, you can just plug it in the USB port, push one button on the camera and the computer does the rest for you! Nikon`s run a lil higher than others, but i think it was worth the investment. It has all and mreo than the features i need. Lots of pre-set modes for types of pictures like night, firework, portrait, indoor, landscape, sunset, beach, museam, snow ,ect. Plus an automatic mode for quick snapshots and a manual mode for someone who really understands a camera - i dont! Nikon suppsoedly makes their own lenses and sells some to otehr companies. They say they are the best but im not sure exactly. My dad`s graphic`s artist reccomend a Nikon to us, so we bought the 4300, i have been more than pleased with it. I would defintely recommend at least a 3 megapixel no matter what camera you purchase. If you do get a Nikon, I know you will be pelased.
    1998 Acura 3.0Cl - Clean, just how I like it!

RESIDENT PROCRASTINATOR
    Post Thanks / Like
    :wait I have a Nikon Coolpix 4300 also. I have absolutely no complains with it. Great camera, easy to use in auto mode, has lots of adjustments if your in to that stuff, takes great pics. I am sure there are many other great cameras, just stay with the higher end stuff, don`t buy a 59dollar Wal Mart special :rolling

Post Thanks / Like
    That camera I posted - the Kodak is awesome! it is highly customizable but also gives fantastic pictures just pointing and shooting!! and @ 256 bucks - you can`t find a better deal than that

Post Thanks / Like

Sony`s

Sony Mavicas are sooooooo easy to use !!!

I have a DSC F505V and a DSC u30 and the Mavica 350 and I love them all !!! Check ebay !!! That is were I bought all of them at huge discounts !!!!
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for a lot of great info! No better place than DC to find people so willing to help!
    All things can be explained, it`s just that some things are harder to explain than others.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey TraderB - found a deal on a Sony 5MP Digital Camera -

got to here

Sony camera

then

Use coupon code: CKCNQ8GSLLN1T5 for the $35 off a $400+ Software & Peripheral purchase. Expiration 3/16/04. Make sure you use the code exactly as is, with no space at the end (5 is the last digit).

Post Thanks / Like
    Groebuck: Way to find that sweet coupon!

Thats the EXACT camera i have, the Sony P10.....you will be very impressed with it TraderB.

-Mike

Owner - Mike`s Car Wash & Detail

A New Standard of Excellence.

"Invest in a company that you know can be run by an idiot...because soon enough, it will be." ~Peter Lynch

Thread Information