Post Thanks / Like

What do "other" people see?

I had to ask myself this today. A truck came into work today from a body shop who sends it out to a local detail shop for clean up. I had to touch up some undercoating that was scraped off and figured I`d check out the detail job while I was at it. This was the absolute worst job I have ever seen. Buffer holigrams everywhere, swirls everywhere, splotchy tires, dirty wheels, and the whole truck was covered in silicone from spray shine. The swirls looked like it was caused by someone wiping it with towel after it was covered in dust. Since it was a good customer I figured I`d let the owner know. I took him outside to look at it and he said he couldn`t see anything!!!! I pointed out the really bad spots and he still couldn`t tell. Finally he told me to redress the tires. Then the guy picks his truck up and doesn`t say anything! I`d be ready to rip someones head off if my $30k truck came back looking like that. Things like this make me wonder why I try so hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear ya! I wish I had the ability to "soft focus" paint. Our hobby is really a curse!

I think most people see "shine" that is it. If the paint is clean and free from dirt and grime, they are happy. Most people have no idea what a swirl is.

Most of the time when I do a detail for a customer, I could probably get away with a wash/ #66 and dress the tires. I would hate to do that type of work though.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    It truly is a curse... a few years ago I wouldnt notice swirls, and not even notice dirty cars that much. Ever since I got a car and learned to take care of it I started to notice little things at first and now when I walk through a parking lot I cant help but imagine what I would do and what products to use to clean the various cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    it bothers me when a see a dirty black car... i guess its something that ive inherited over the months ive been polishing and stuff. to some people, having a dirty car doesnt really seem to matter. im guessing that a majority of us here are perfectionists, when it comes to certain things eh? anyways, point made (i think)
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to be into detailing to really "see" the difference between a wash and a detail. When I first did a detail on my wifes 4 runner i had to take pictures to show her the difference. I took a picture of it just after it was washed and just after I finished the final polish and detail. Only then was she able to see the difference.
    Duane...

If you think you`re confused, imagine how you feel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted something smilar to this sometime back. Its my guess that most people do nto haev a very well trained eye. That`s a good thing in some cases.
    For those that jsut wash there cars and wipe off and think its looks great. You can thank clear coat for that, false sence of "the car still looks great"
    For me when I pickup a car I have started to show them what`s dirty and what I plan on doing, this way 5 to 6 hours later I can show them just what DETAIL means
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That`s funny, I was washing someones car last week and had just started washing (on just the hood) and they come walking up to the back of the trunk area, take a look and say "lookin` good!"

I`m like WTF I haven`t even washed it yet let alone "detailed" it!?!? They might have just been saying it to be nice but I truly think they thought it looked good
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wife! They probably did mean it! I have people(not alot but a few) tell me my car looks good and then ask what I have on it. I tell them dirt. They think I`m being wise until I show them. Then they say wow and walk away.
    "I`m staying out of it."

Post Thanks / Like
    I have people(not alot but a few) tell me my car looks good and then ask what I have on it. I tell them dirt. They think I`m being wise until I show them. Then they say wow and walk away.
    That is funny, I`ll have to use that next time... lol
    "A car doesn`t have to be the fastest or most powerful to be the love of your life" -Temperacerguy

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny but true!
    "I`m staying out of it."

Thread Information